Kadri has taken 664 faceoffs this season

Kesler has won 263 defensive zone faceoffs
Kadri has taken 223 defensive zone faceoffs

Kesler has played 2:50 minutes on the PK per game
Kadri has played 2:30 minutes on the PK all season
Facts don't lie.

LaPlante94

Apr 12, 2011
Matt Martin deserves it. If only Babcock let him take a few faceoffs once in a while he'd be the clear cut #1 imo.

Super Hans

Stats Evangelist
Oct 9, 2016
Three of those four facts are faceoffs :laugh:
They were 4 easy-to-lookup facts I used to counter the Cult of Kadri.

By no means necessary are those 4 the end-all, be-all facts that should determine the Selke winner. I do feel that they are strong enough to dismiss Kadri from the conversation.

Kadri will deservedly finish anywhere from 3-5 in the voting (so far), possibly get a nomination, but it should be Kesler, Koivu & [insert name] by the end of the year. I have a feeling it will be Bergeron because of how absurd his shot suppression numbers are on top of the reputation, but Barkov or Kadri could get a sniff.

Last edited:

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
They were 4 easy-to-lookup facts I used to counter the Cult of Kadri.

By no means necessary are those 4 the end-all, be-all facts that should determine the Selke winner. I do feel that they are strong enough to dismiss Kadri from the conversation.

Kadri will deservedly finish anywhere from 3-5 in the voting (so far), possibly get a nomination, but it should be Kesler, Koivu & [insert name] by the end of the year. I have a feeling it will be Bergeron because of how absurd his shot suppression numbers are on top of the reputation, but Barkov or Kadri could get a sniff.

As one of the biggest Kadri fans, I don't think people truly believe he should win. At least I don't, he's been great defensively but he's not at the level of Kesler/Bergeron/Kopitar. That being said, he's in that 5-7 range this year IMO and is getting recognition for his commitment to defense which is nice. But you're right, he has no chance of winning the Selke, especially if he doesn't PK or have a good faceoff% which are generally 2 really important criteria.

Homesick

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005
Calgary
Has to be McDavid. He's the only reason why the Oilers are going to have a 30 point point increase, goals against have been cut .50 per game and Talbots .921SV% :sarcasm:

TDK67

Apr 17, 2016
I don't think Kadri should win at all, but if he finishes top 5 in voting that would still confirm a massive, massive improvement for him as a player overall. Don't think anyone would have guessed he'd get any consideration for the award in his career.

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
This will be an interesting finish. I think the likely candidates are (in alphabetical order):

Bergeron - Even though it shouldn't matter, his offense has rebounded enough for him to get consideration. Defensive metrics are even better than usual, but he may lose votes for zone starts (although part of that is the strong possession team he plays on), and for Marchand's fantastic season taking some of the gleam off of Bergeron himself.

Kesler - I think he has an old school appeal that will cater to the voters. His defensive metrics are good, but not the best. However, his utilization is crazy this year. Absurd PK time, big-time faceoff guy, and has a huge rep as facing the opposition's best and being utilized very heavily in the D-zone.

Koivu - This is an interesting one. He checks off all the boxes for the Selke (even including the BS ones that idiot voters will look at like +/-, team success, or him being "due" to win one) except for possession. It'll be interesting to see if the new school voters that look at advanced stats will delve deep enough to find that the scoring chance numbers are great even if the possession numbers aren't.

Kopitar - I think he's been fine defensively, but I think it's fair to say he has no shot this year. Using 2015 as a barometer, I definitely think he'll be top 5 in the voting though.

Toews- Not deserved, but he'll certainly be there once again. There will probably be a huge voting turnout for his offensive resurgence.

I think Niederreiter (shot suppression again), Stone (takeaways again), Barkov (great numbers but not enough games), and Kadri (because it's Toronto and there's a big push for him to win it for some reason) will get quite a few secondary votes as well.

TMLife*

Auston Matthews
Jun 16, 2010
Victoria, BC
I’d vote Matthews before Kadri, easily.

But Kadri shouldn’t really be in the running imo, as good as he’s played this year. :)

urho

Sep 12, 2008
Oulu
Koivu - This is an interesting one. He checks off all the boxes for the Selke (even including the BS ones that idiot voters will look at like +/-, team success, or him being "due" to win one) except for possession. It'll be interesting to see if the new school voters that look at advanced stats will delve deep enough to find that the scoring chance numbers are great even if the possession numbers aren't.

Thinking outside the box here but both Koivu and Granlund try to avoid taking shots at any cost unless it's an empty net looking at them. I've watched maybe 15 Wild-games this season and from the viewers perpective I'd say they have the puck most of the time they're on the ice thus they're a very good puck possession line. If it doesn't show up in stats, maybe the stats just aren't perfect.

DJJones

Nov 18, 2014
Calgary
Kadri's lack of PK time will kill his chances. Bergeron and Kopitar have had slower offensive years and they've won it before so scratch them.

Kesler, Koivu, and Backlund will be the top 3. Book it.

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
Thinking outside the box here but both Koivu and Granlund try to avoid taking shots at any cost unless it's an empty net looking at them. I've watched maybe 15 Wild-games this season and from the viewers perpective I'd say they have the puck most of the time they're on the ice thus they're a very good puck possession line. If it doesn't show up in stats, maybe the stats just aren't perfect.

I think the issue is that Koivu has always been great for puck possession, or at least shot suppression. If you look at 2012/13-2015/16, Bergeron is the only center in the league that was better at CA60 RelTM and FA60 RelTM, although Koivu's Ozone starts were favorable in that time period. This year, while Minnesota in general has been poor for CA60 (26th this year compared to 9th from 2012/13-2015/16), Koivu isn't doing as much to stand out from his teammates. He still has good CA60 RelTM numbers, but not great. Role could be a big part of that, but the best are still able to stand out despite their role.

What you're saying seems to be how the stats are portrayed though. The Koivu line has very good underlying numbers for scoring chances against and expected goals against, even if the possession numbers aren't great. They seem to be very much a "bend but don't break" line this year.

I'm happy that Koivu will finally be getting some recognition though, even if I think that's a terrible way to base an award off of, which seemed to be the case for Kopitar last year. IMO Koivu has been the next best defensive forward in the league behind Bergeron for quite some time now.

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
List of Players who:

1A) Have 700.00+ 5v5 minutes registered
1B) Have a 5v5 SZVA FA60 < 38.00
2A) Have 100.00+ 4v5 minutes registered
2B) Have a 4v5 SZVA FA60 < 65.00
3) Have 2.00+ 3v5 minutes registered

Those four players are:
Mikael Backlund - 45pts in 64GP
Patrice Bergeron - 40pts in 60GP
Anze Kopitar - 36pts in 57GP
Paul Stastny - 36pts in 57GP

If Backlund isn't even mentioned as a Selke candidate, it will speak volumes to how east-centric the media really is.

4ORRBRUIN

Sep 27, 2005
boston
DJJones;128984167[B said:
]Kadri's lack of PK time[/B] will kill his chances. Bergeron and Kopitar have had slower offensive years and they've won it before so scratch them.

Kesler, Koivu, and Backlund will be the top 3. Book it.

But he should win the Selke :laugh: I was think Boyle should win now that he plays for the Leafs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad