Selke Race 2016-2017

olli

Unregistered User
Dec 2, 2016
cÃnÃdÃ
Thought i'd start a Selke thread since there's an art ross and a Norris thread going on.
Usually this award goes to "the two way forward has a good offensive season".:laugh: Right now kinda looks like Ryan Kesler is one of the favourites. He's having a really good season offensively. The usual Bergeron/ Toews/ Kopitar aren't doing so well offensively. Mods feel free to close if there's already a Selke
thread.

Trocity

Nov 24, 2016
Crosby becomes first player to win Art Ross + Selke in the same year.

DearDiary

🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷
Aug 29, 2010
Instead of wondering if there's another Selke thread, why not use the much coveted search feature?

I think it will come down to Kesler's numbers and Crosby's media attention.

NoMessi

Jan 2, 2009
Crosby might be the frontrunner for Rocket, Art Ross and Hart atm, but he is not even like top 20 for Selke.

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
All stats point to Koivu as the best defensive forward in the NHL this season. If Kesler gets it, it'll be for scoring more points on the power play which is a bizarre criteria for the best defensive forward award.

olli

Unregistered User
Dec 2, 2016
cÃnÃdÃ
Instead of wondering if there's another Selke thread, why not use the much coveted search feature?

I think it will come down to Kesler's numbers and Crosby's media attention.

I'll remember to use the search feature from now on. Turns out there's no Selke thread after searching.

Ducks Nation*

Mar 19, 2013
All stats point to Koivu as the best defensive forward in the NHL this season. If Kesler gets it, it'll be for scoring more points on the power play which is a bizarre criteria for the best defensive forward award.

Except he's better defensively than Koivu by a landslide

Deadly Dogma

Sponsor
May 3, 2016
I'll remember to use the search feature from now on. Turns out there's no Selke thread after searching.

Prob Crosby but would be really awesome if Matthews manages to score 75 points and play a solid 2 way game and win the Calder and selke in the same year.

olli

Unregistered User
Dec 2, 2016
cÃnÃdÃ
Prob Crosby but would be really awesome if Matthews manages to score 75 points and play a solid 2 way game and win the Calder and selke in the same year.
Love Matthews, but i doubt that'll happen. Not because he's not good enough defensively (he's one of the best 19 year olds defensively i've ever seen) but it would seem really odd for a rookie to win it when a lot of people assume rookies are bad defensively (don't get me wrong most are).

Last edited:

DearDiary

🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷
Aug 29, 2010
Crosby might be the frontrunner for Rocket, Art Ross and Hart atm, but he is not even like top 20 for Selke.

2016 - 7th
2015 - 19th
2014 - 18th
2013 - 15th

He's significantly improved his defensive play this season, I think he'll at least finish top 10...

H a w k s*

May 18, 2012
McDavid or Matthews should win. If they don't fire the award into the sun. Beside selke is overrated award!

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
It shouldn't be Kesler. As I've said many times about Kesler, he's good defensively, but he's not among the very best in the league.

Bergeron is the best defensive player in the league, not even close to being close, but he probably doesn't have enough points, as ****ed up as that is.

mikeyp24

Jun 28, 2014
Is the award for best 2way forward or just on defense alone in have always personally put my non existent vote on 2way guys. Also why is FO% so important when talking about defensive forwards? Maybe if it was dzone only faceoffs I'd understand because that helps get the puck out but why is it all faceoffs? Don't nessasarily understand that especially because if that's a huge factor it's going to be really hard for a winger to win. I'd like to see some wings actually get attention they deserve.

All that being said I have thought in previous seasons Kesler was robbed flat out of the trophy. It took a really great offensive season to put him over the hump but once he went back to more normal numbers for him but kept up his elite defensive play it never came back to him. Years where he played better D then Toews Bergeron Kopitar and the like he was overlooked. He should have at least 2 maybe 3 by now.

gilfaizon

Mar 28, 2012
PEI
It shouldn't be Kesler. As I've said many times about Kesler, he's good defensively, but he's not among the very best in the league.

Bergeron is the best defensive player in the league, not even close to being close, but he probably doesn't have enough points, as ****ed up as that is.

Kesler gets my vote.

Opado

Jan 27, 2013
Auston Matthews will win it, not even a contest at this point tbh.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Here's a crazy idea - Artemi Panarin

-Best shot suppressor in the league by almost 6% (-17.43 to Josh Manson's -11.81)

-Third highest Quality of Competition on the Blackhawks

-Buckle up for this one: worst Quality of Teammates on the Blackhawks by nearly FIVE PERCENT (43.4% to Kempny's 48.2%) Not only is that the highest in the league; that's the highest I've ever seen.

Full marks to Anisimov and Kane, who are great teammates if you want to put up points, but we're not talking about points. They're both comically bad shot suppressors, and Panarin has been comically good playing with them.

I know it'll never happen because "watch the games nerd" but the guy is putting up alien numbers.

Albus Dumbledore

Master of Death
Mar 28, 2015
wouldnt mind matthews getting a few votes, and being top 15 in voting, dudes a monster to play against.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I would have no problem with Matthews.

Sporting a sick CF% with legends of the sport Zach Hyman and Connor Brown.

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal

Meaning there are others who have better corsi. :naughty:

KrisLetAngry

MrJukeBoy
Dec 20, 2013
Saskatchewan
Meaning there are others who have better corsi. :naughty:

Haha.

Ye Hornqvist is Pittsburgh penguins best defensive forward Cuz he has the best corsi ;) (from the site I used)

Haha

Kesler has my vote.

Honestly if Crosby got a top 10 finish again I'd be happy.
There's a lot of forwards who are great defensively like Crosby who don't get recognition. I don't think he gets it

TheHolySlapper

Jan 12, 2013
If Minny can hold their streak to the end, it should be Koivu. Unfortunately he is European so he needs to be extra good to be even nominated. So I guess it will be Kesler, although Koivu deserves it.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $300.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $150.00