Selke Race 2016-2017

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
I'm sorry but if you think Stone belongs in the talk, you need to watch a bit more, and look at the past winners.

I think you need to watch a bit more.

Stone is phenomenal positionaly, leading him to an unreal amount to interceptions. He picks pockets like nobody else since Datsyuk in his prime. His advanced stats are top-notch. His real stats are top-notch. He produces lots of points too, which, like it or not, is important.

The only thing he has against him is that he doesn't really kill penalties. But that didn't stop Datsyuk from winning it either.

sanitysrequiem

Nov 14, 2009
Interesting year for this trophy. The Selke gods Bergeron Toews and Kopitar are all having down years.

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
It would be great to see Koivu get some recognition for his great two-way play.

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
I think i would give it to Koivu.
Would love to see Kadri win it but mostly because i am a Leafs fan that is excited about how well he has played in his new defensively responsible role. Leafs bias aside its Koivu for me.

Kadri winning the Selke when he looked like a junior league player vs Radulov yesterday? Better chance of hell freezing over.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Sponsor
Oct 23, 2014
2017 Selke Trophy Winner Ryan Kesler

Seriously. He's pretty much a lock for it at this point. Much Better both offensively and defensively than the big 3 of TBK this year.

Leads all NHL forwards in TOI, on pace for 64 points, best defensive/shutdown forward and face off guy in the game.

Always thought he was underrated but especially this year.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
Yeah I think Kesler deserves it at this point right now. I hope Backlund and Kadri get nominated though...tired of the same reputation picks every year. Kadri has put up some great numbers going against the top players on the other team every night. Same goes for Backlund.

Dustin

Sep 24, 2014
Doubt Kadri wins it but the very fact that his name is being brought up is pretty impressive to me.

karnige

Real Life FTL
Oct 18, 2006
kadri has been great but Kessler has been even better. leading his team in points, forward ice time in the league, shadows the best in the game, faceoff master. mcdavid said he's the best in the game as a defensive forward. easily his imo

karnige

Real Life FTL
Oct 18, 2006
leafs fans I know kadri is having a great year but honestly how is he having a better season then Kesler? its not a knock on the guy.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Seriously. He's pretty much a lock for it at this point. Much Better both offensively and defensively than the big 3 of TBK this year.

Leads all NHL forwards in TOI, on pace for 64 points, best defensive/shutdown forward and face off guy in the game.

Always thought he was underrated but especially this year.

No doubt he deserves recognition; he's having a great year. But I'd encourage you to take a gander at what Koivu is doing in Minnesota. Point pace, defense, face offs, shutdown matchups, etc... Basically everything you said to (rightfully) praise Kesler applies to Koivu as well. I don't think either of them have separated themselves from the other.

End homer post.

Super Hans

Stats Evangelist
Oct 9, 2016
Kesler has a 57.5% faceoff percentage
Kadri has a 46.1% faceoff percentage

Kesler has taken 1103 faceoffs this season
Kadri has taken 664 faceoffs this season

Kesler has won 263 defensive zone faceoffs
Kadri has taken 223 defensive zone faceoffs

Kesler has played 2:50 minutes on the PK per game
Kadri has played 2:30 minutes on the PK all season

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
To be honest him and Koivu have both been pretty underrated for a while. Doesn't mean they've been as good as Toews, Kopitar and Bergeron, but this season they are better so far, both seem to be as good as ever this season actually.

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
Koivu/Kesler

Kadri

I'd agree with that. Those two are at the top, I think.

Kadri deserves mention, but he's definitely a good two or more steps behind them. I think he should get some votes, but he shouldn't get 1st place votes.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
Kesler has a 57.5% faceoff percentage
Kadri has a 46.1% faceoff percentage

Kesler has taken 1103 faceoffs this season
Kadri has taken 664 faceoffs this season

Kesler has won 263 defensive zone faceoffs
Kadri has taken 223 defensive zone faceoffs

Kesler has played 2:50 minutes on the PK per game
Kadri has played 2:30 minutes on the PK all season

Kesler is hands down a better defensive player than Kadri, coming from a Leafs fan. Kadri is having his best season yet as an overall player, but no he is not the best defensive forward in the game. Maybe top 10 if he's lucky I think, which is still amazing obviously. He's had tremendous impact in a lot of wins this season.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Czechia vs Switzerland
    Gold Medal Czechia vs Switzerland
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $4,850.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Empoli vs AS Roma
    Empoli vs AS Roma
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $45.00