Player Discussion: Sebastian Aho

Dutch Frost

Battle Level
Mar 12, 2010
Queens, NY
Man you guys are tough. I guess the first day you started your job you had everything figured out. He has skill, why don't we give him 10ish games before he is judged to be not ready.

This is the Islanders HF Boards. We devoted 10 year thread to the excellence of Josh Bailey. The rest watch youtube clips and go on eliteprospects.com and think they are scouts. LOL

scottywiper

Dec 2, 2018
I thought he was good tonight? Feels like he's starting to become more effective and less error prone. Might be a slow burn.

duster19

Feb 13, 2013
I thought he was good tonight? Feels like he's starting to become more effective and less error prone. Might be a slow burn.

I think he’s been fine. He struggles sometimes in his own end but his transition game helps so much. He’s only played 40 games in the NHL.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
The fact of the matter is this team is top 5 in goaltending and are still -13 team differential.

I'm sure if Salo was up he would be playing over Aho/Greene, but Aho is what Barry has at his disposal and is going to ride him for a bit and see if he can contribute.

His game against SJS was definitively his best game of the year, so I expect him to be in the press box tonight. :sarcasm:

Last edited:
Reactions: MJF

isles55

Mar 7, 2015
Aho has shown he has more upside than Salo imo. Granted we have yet to see Salo play with a player of Pulock’s caliber. But Aho’s ability to skate with the puck makes him a more attractive option right now.

GOLFWANG

Jul 20, 2007
I did. He’s mediocre at best. I don’t see what some here apparently see, just my opinion.

you mentioned Aho's ability to skate with the puck, I'd argue Salo is better already at doing that and better on the defense and offensive side already.

JTToilinginToronto

Isles Fan
Jan 18, 2019
I like his skating and offensive mindedness, but he's just too small to be anything more than a third-pairing defenseman at absolute most.

You can't win in the playoffs with someone billed at 5'11 184 pounds (probably more like 5'9 and 170 pounds in reality) playing top-4 minutes. Almost always the teams in the conference finals each year have top-4 defensemen who are 6'+ and 200+ pounds.

Richie Daggers Crime

Boosted 9 times they/them
Mar 8, 2004
Boise
Salo is 23 while Aho is 26. I like Aho personally but his upside at best is a bottom pairing defenseman, probably would want him to be more of a 7th d-man. Salo has the upside of a top four defensemen which is what people see.

This is why people care so much about prospects and not so much about reality.

Glorydays22

Nov 21, 2011
I think you see what Aho is. He's a 7th Defenseman with some offensive skill. No more, no less. If he's ok signing a min deal, I'd bring him back at my 7th Dman.

Reactions: Bill Herlyn

QuadDeuces

Jul 16, 2006
Salt Lake City
With some stable playing time, he looks like a legit NHL D-man with offensive upside and puck carrying ability. Probably not a Top 4, but maybe a #5/6 with a position on PP2.

danteipp

Aug 3, 2005
Aho has shown improvement these past 8 games or so. At this point, let him play the rest of the way and let's find out for sure if he can potentially be a third-pairing defenseman, or if he is just a reserve and spot-start player.

Salo also needs to see more time with the Isles in the NHL. Get them both as many minutes as they can handle. If Salo and Aho can emerge as reasonable NHLers, then you have Pelech, Pulock, Dobson, Mayfield, Salo and Aho holding down six of the seven defense spots.

Just go get a solid, vet LHD for competition, ideally one with a bit more size, and the Isles should be OK defensively next year. It will definitely be a younger, better-skating group by getting rid of Chara and Greene.

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina
I think Aho is showing he has the potential to be a #7/8 defenseman. I would be concerned though that come playoff time if there is an injury about him slotting in getting many minutes at all. Hickey had some decent regular seasons for this team and was never good come playoff time.

Reactions: MJF

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad