Player Discussion: Sebastian Aho

Glory Days

Aug 16, 2012
Charlotte
Yeah he is polarizing, pretty good in the Ozone and pretty bad in the Dzone... Sometimes I think I am watching Superbad with him on the ice because he looks like Michael Cera... but I think he can develop and battle Mayfield next year for the 6th spot behind Leddy, Boychuk, Pelech, Pulock and Toews

That is not an NHL defense. I can't go through another season of league leading goals against.

majormet

Nov 12, 2009
Dix Hills, NY
That is not an NHL defense. I can't go through another season of league leading goals against.

I think that Snow is going that way based on the contracts, Leddy, Boychuk, Mayfield, Pulock, Pelech and Toews... we really need a guy like Hjalmarsson in there and Mayfield pushed to 7

Lame Lambert

Fire Lou
Mar 5, 2015
I think that Snow is going that way based on the contracts, Leddy, Boychuk, Mayfield, Pulock, Pelech and Toews... we really need a guy like Hjalmarsson in there and Mayfield pushed to 7
Pulock should’ve gotten the Mayfield/Pelech contract since he has the most upside. We have almost no flexibility now.

Reactions: majormet

Glory Days

Aug 16, 2012
Charlotte

I agree. I know we have a lot of contracts on D but most of those guys can be moved. We need a steady vet to take the load off the kids and let them develop properly. I also think Toews will need some time since he missed so much time this year.

Reactions: IODCPiper

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Pulock should’ve gotten the Mayfield/Pelech contract since he has the most upside. We have almost no flexibility now.
Could be a reason Snow couldn't pick up Brendan Smith. Then defense has term and inflexibility from Mayfield, Smith and Boychuk.

GrandmaSlices51631

Dec 12, 2013
Long Beach

4 of the 6 are fairly green, all were in the AHL either this year or last.

They need a serviceable #2 or #3 to bump EVERYONE down on the depth chart. Ideally we'd get a #1 but being realistic here, we could add someone to pair with Toews next year and be average. Mayfield should not be getting regular minutes period.

On a positive note, I think Aho is going to be much better then Hickey as a smaller mobile guy on the 3rd pairing.

Reactions: dood

Glory Days

Aug 16, 2012
Charlotte
4 of the 6 are fairly green, all were in the AHL either this year or last.

They need a serviceable #2 or #3 to bump EVERYONE down on the depth chart. Ideally we'd get a #1 but being realistic here, we could add someone to pair with Toews next year and be average. Mayfield should not be getting regular minutes period.

On a positive note, I think Aho is going to be much better then Hickey as a smaller mobile guy on the 3rd pairing.

Leddy/Boychuk pairing next year should be OK but Boychuk's annual trips to the DL have me worried without sufficient depth. Aho/Pelech could be an effective 3rd pairing. Mayfield should waived and sent to Bridge. We need a solid 2/3 to pair with Pulock and a good depth D.

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
Two things I've noticed:
A) He's been adapting fast, both positionally and in his one-on-one play in the defensive zone. A quick study.
B) He already has about the best passing eye of any blueliner on the team and gets his passes off more quickly than any other too.

Reactions: Lek

Sheva7

Work Hahd Play Smaht
Oct 11, 2011
He wouldn't be the first guy I'd want defending a guy like Malkin on a one-on-one situation....

BUT the guy is smart, mobile, very slick and helps the team a lot more than he hurts it IMO. Brings a lot of the same qualities Visnovsky did (who was fantastic). I like him.

Why he's being scratched for Seidenberg is beyond comprehension.

Last edited:

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
He wouldn't be the first guy I'd want defending a guy like Malkin on a one-on-one situation....

BUT the guy is smart, mobile, very slick and helps the team a lot more than he hurts it IMO. Brings a lot of the same qualities Visnovsky did (who was fantastic). I like him.

Why he's being scratched for Seidenberg is beyond comprehension.

Because Seidenberg is a known quantity, duh!

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006
Is it wrong that when I'm really bored I feel like messing with the main boards? Specifically, by starting a thread that I'm willing to trade Sebastian Aho for Gaudreau... only to specify 10 pages later that it's the Islanders (not Carolina's) Aho for Freddy (not Johnny) Gaudreau?

Yeah, I need more hobbies.

BarzyClub

Jan 17, 2018
I think he can definitely play in the NHL on out more offense minded team. Trotz has a very short leash for young players to make defensive mistakes( see: Bellows,Kieffer).

In Aho’s defense he hadn’t played in over a year. He looked very good offensively and made some questionable decisions defensively.

The problem for Aho is that we already have one offensive defenseman who’s not great defensively in Leddy. Trotz/Lou don’t want two.

So either they move Leddy in the off-season which will give Aho the opportunity here to be the guy offensively or he is part of a trade to another team that could use a young low salaried offensive dman.

We may know Aho’s fate as soon as the trade deadline in less than 2 weeks.

beach

Aug 17, 2005
here
I think he can definitely play in the NHL on out more offense minded team. Trotz has a very short leash for young players to make defensive mistakes( see: Bellows,Kieffer).

In Aho’s defense he hadn’t played in over a year. He looked very good offensively and made some questionable decisions defensively.

The problem for Aho is that we already have one offensive defenseman who’s not great defensively in Leddy. Trotz/Lou don’t want two.

So either they move Leddy in the off-season which will give Aho the opportunity here to be the guy offensively or he is part of a trade to another team that could use a young low salaried offensive dman.

We may know Aho’s fate as soon as the trade deadline in less than 2 weeks.
Leddy is definitely not going to be replaced by Aho.

Reactions: Strummergas

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad