Player Discussion: Sebastian Aho

beach

Aug 17, 2005
here
I believe he meant that Aho might be included in a trade, not that Leddy would be moved and Aho would be replacing him.
"So either they move Leddy in the off-season which will give Aho the opportunity here to be the guy offensively"

The Real JT

Louie louie, oh no, me gotta go
Jul 2, 2018
Connecticut
"So either they move Leddy in the off-season which will give Aho the opportunity here to be the guy offensively"
As much as I hate Leddy's cap hit, the Isles cannot lose him with a back up plan of an aging Greene as second pair LHD and Aho/Hickey/Bolduc as the everyday third pair LHD.

If you're really ok with losing him (I am not) then you better get another NHL ready LHD to replace him. Preferably one who is a PMD.

dlawong

Nov 24, 2011
Vancouver, Canada
As much as I hate Leddy's cap hit, the Isles cannot lose him with a back up plan of an aging Greene as second pair LHD and Aho/Hickey/Bolduc as the everyday third pair LHD.

If you're really ok with losing him (I am not) then you better get another NHL ready LHD to replace him. Preferably one who is a PMD.

Ideally you sign another vet for one year to replace him or keep him, something that. The one year is buffer to allow cap to go up post pandemic and also give flexibility to resign young core players with contract coming up for renew in the summer of 2023. Ability to sign an UFA LHD will depend on the UFA market next summer. If the supply is not that great, then you keep him or trade him for someone that Vince Dunn from the Blues who you may be able to resign as an RFA for less. Dunn may not be great at defending but he has high offensive upside, can score and move the pucks and yes he is good on the PP. In fact, I think if the price is right, I would make that move before the deadline.

Personally I think between Bailey and Eberle, one of them may need to be let go because of their position - both are right wingers with long contracts and with Wahlstrom emerging as a potential top 6, this will be the most sensible choice to make. With Leddy you can keep him and trade him when Isles has a LH D that is truly ready to step up to take that job.

BarzyClub

Jan 17, 2018
I believe he meant that Aho might be included in a trade, not that Leddy would be moved and Aho would be replacing him.

I meant it exactly as I wrote it. :)

I agree with this to a certain extent. They’re going to need Leddys’s money to sign our RFAs or use it for a dman who has a skill set that’s more of a defensive guy with size.

Let’s say they keep Pelech and Pulock together you’ll need another experienced defensive dman with size who can log 18-20 min a night who can pair with Dobson. I agree that Greene is not the guy. I was hoping we’d be in on Ekholm who would be perfect paired with Dobson.

Aho could be paired with Mayfield with Greene as the 7th as we work in Bolduc and Salo.

Last edited:
Reactions: buud

The Real JT

Louie louie, oh no, me gotta go
Jul 2, 2018
Connecticut
I meant it exactly as I wrote it.

Aho could be paired with Mayfield with Greene as the 7th as we work in Bolduc and Salo.

You think far more of Aho than I do.

Aho as #7 scares me but I could live with it (uncomfortably).

Aho as #6 horrifies me.

beach

Aug 17, 2005
here

I was quoting another poster. I fully agree with you.

Reactions: The Real JT

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
The most important part about Aho having gotten into 3 games and collecting 2 points along the way is that it may actually have him legitimately looking like one of those "B prospects" we like to theorize about when discussing who we're going to be able to get at the deadline for a 2nd and a B prospect.

Last edited:
Reactions: The Real JT

Mike C

Jan 24, 2022
Indian Trail, N.C.
played decently. still deserves a shot, but i'm giving him some more leeway since Greene is being benched.
Played decently is an apt evaluation. He moves the puck and puts it on net it's clear this team won't/can't win on defense alone. It's too spotty and so is the goaltending. At least they are trying something to change what's been stale all year. I applaud that. Greene and Chara likely will both be gone next season. I think it's not a bad idea to give Aho and Bellows for that matter consistent time to see what they can do without feeling they are auditioning each shift for the right to play again. That just serves to make most players press. I've always believed that if what you're doing isn't working, try something different.

Osakahaus

Chillin' on Fuji
May 28, 2021
Played decently is an apt evaluation. He moves the puck and puts it on net it's clear this team won't/can't win on defense alone. It's too spotty and so is the goaltending. At least they are trying something to change what's been stale all year. I applaud that. Greene and Chara likely will both be gone next season. I think it's not a bad idea to give Aho and Bellows for that matter consistent time to see what they can do without feeling they are auditioning each shift for the right to play again. That just serves to make most players press. I've always believed that if what you're doing isn't working, try something different.
again, at best you need to do is be decent. do that, and they'll be regulars potentially. Aho still holds potential, but he's 26. the leash isn't gonna get any longer.

Mike C

Jan 24, 2022
Indian Trail, N.C.
again, at best you need to do is be decent. do that, and they'll be regulars potentially. Aho still holds potential, but he's 26. the leash isn't gonna get any longer.
True but I'm hoping he gets a little more of a look the rest of the way. Nothing at all to lose and a reasonable gain if he shows a little something

Osakahaus

Chillin' on Fuji
May 28, 2021
True but I'm hoping he gets a little more of a look the rest of the way. Nothing at all to lose and a reasonable gain if he shows a little something
I'd still just run with him in the end. His legs are better at least than Greene and Chara, which matters a ton for this teams defense since Leddy and Toews have been removed.

Mike C

Jan 24, 2022
Indian Trail, N.C.
I'd still just run with him in the end. His legs are better at least than Greene and Chara, which matters a ton for this teams defense since Leddy and Toews have been removed.
No argument here. I'd keep an eye on him and if he consistently coughs the puck up leading to opposition goals, obviously that must be addressed

Greene is still serviceable in spots but him and Chara simply can't be dressed simultaneously unless they are going to dress a 7th D

steveat

Jun 4, 2011
As Aho's last fan, He will be a great addition to our blue line when Trotz decides not to sign dinosaurs...but wait...I bet Parise, Chara AND Greene are all still here next year, along with Clutterbuck who will be signed to the SAME contract as Zeeker.

Mike C

Jan 24, 2022
Indian Trail, N.C.
I'll take that bet.
I think cal is as near as a lock to get traded as there is, IF there are any deals made at all. If the team is remotely close to sniffing a playoff spot, I suspect Lou and Barry will convince themselves to NOT clean house at the deadline.

The way Parise has played this year, coupled with his professionalism and work ethic, I'd be ok having him back next season

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
I think cal is as near as a lock to get traded as there is, IF there are any deals made at all. If the team is remotely close to sniffing a playoff spot, I suspect Lou and Barry will convince themselves to NOT clean house at the deadline.

The way Parise has played this year, coupled with his professionalism and work ethic, I'd be ok having him back next season
I'd be ok with having Parise back too, but I'm not penciling him into my lineup yet. I'd simply offer him a PTO for training camp and see if I can fill his spot with a better option first.

Greene and Chara? No way either one will be here next season.

Reactions: Big L

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006
playing better?

I like his passing (strong and crisp... not always the case with the Isles overall). Also has really good balanced skating. Currently, if he doesn't get his feet moving and make a good first pass then he is easy prey for a turnover via a bad pass or being knocked off the puck. If he gets to the point of the game "slowing down" for him in his mind, he would have less issues with the forecheck.

I have no illusions that he will ever be a good net front presence... but maybe he can compensate in other ways, while the overall team can minimize his weakness there.

Can I ask, why you are interested in how he is doing? Is it for a fantasy league? If so, I do not see him contributing major offensive points. But would be more than happy to be wrong about that.

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
I like his passing (strong and crisp... not always the case with the Isles overall). Also has really good balanced skating. Currently, if he doesn't get his feet moving and make a good first pass then he is easy prey for a turnover via a bad pass or being knocked off the puck. If he gets to the point of the game "slowing down" for him in his mind, he would have less issues with the forecheck.

I have no illusions that he will ever be a good net front presence... but maybe he can compensate in other ways, while the overall team can minimize his weakness there.

Can I ask, why you are interested in how he is doing? Is it for a fantasy league? If so, I do not see him contributing major offensive points. But would be more than happy to be wrong about that.

becuse im swedish. im intrested in how all swedes is doing in nhl

Reactions: CupHolders

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad