Player Discussion: Sebastian Aho

Duanesutter12

Member of Lou's Orchestra
Jul 8, 2013
Hong Kong
I had the game on Monday Morning (Sunday night for you guys) and since it was a complete s**t show I tuned in and out. Didn't see much of note about Aho but I do remember seeing an outlet pass that looked rather crisp. Curious if you guys have any thoughts on how he played?

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
I had the game on Monday Morning (Sunday night for you guys) and since it was a complete s**t show I tuned in and out. Didn't see much of note about Aho but I do remember seeing an outlet pass that looked rather crisp. Curious if you guys have any thoughts on how he played?

He wasn't anything to be excited about. Defensively the whole game was just a disaster, so it's hard to separate him from that. There were a few passes that were nice, but there just wasn't enough to judge him on. His shot looked weak.

Islanders4Cups

May 4, 2002
Boston, MA USA
I am very impressed with this kid so far. He was thrown to the fire and has held his own. He has to catch-up a bit more but this kid is a pro.
The upside is Top 4 but time will tell if he will reach that.

Great pick.

Reactions: Konk

mm11

Jan 26, 2005
Fleming island, Fl
nice offensive skills, head is up the whole time. Absolutely throwing him to the wolves right now and he is bloody but still standing....

majormet

Nov 12, 2009
Dix Hills, NY
Yeah he is polarizing, pretty good in the Ozone and pretty bad in the Dzone... Sometimes I think I am watching Superbad with him on the ice because he looks like Michael Cera... but I think he can develop and battle Mayfield next year for the 6th spot behind Leddy, Boychuk, Pelech, Pulock and Toews

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Aho is not NHL ready yet. He has a little offensive flair but he’s a bit on the smallish side. His defensive game was poor the few times I saw him in the AHL and I have to keep reminding myself that he would not be here if Devon Toews didn’t have a season ending injury.

Reactions: majormet

PROMputt

I promise to never forget.
Jan 4, 2008
Lawnguyland
Man you guys are tough. I guess the first day you started your job you had everything figured out. He has skill, why don't we give him 10ish games before he is judged to be not ready.

Reactions: Islanders4Cups

ekill08x

Oct 29, 2011
Yeah he is polarizing, pretty good in the Ozone and pretty bad in the Dzone... Sometimes I think I am watching Superbad with him on the ice because he looks like Michael Cera... but I think he can develop and battle Mayfield next year for the 6th spot behind Leddy, Boychuk, Pelech, Pulock and Toews

Sounds EXACTLY like leddy whose been pretty brutal in the D zone and always has been.

BTrotts19

May 17, 2013
LI, NY
For a 5th rounder, could be a nice dividend down the road but right now we need a strong, stay at home defender who can move people in front of the net, the polar opposite of what he is.

Islanders4Cups

May 4, 2002
Boston, MA USA
Aho is not NHL ready yet. He has a little offensive flair but he’s a bit on the smallish side. His defensive game was poor the few times I saw him in the AHL and I have to keep reminding myself that he would not be here if Devon Toews didn’t have a season ending injury.

Yet he was +6 combined his last two games after a tough intro in his first 3 NHL games. Granted, Greiss and Halak saved his bacon a few times.

I am not saying he is the next coming defenseman, but if anyone can be given some credit stepping into the fire and doing ok, it would be Aho.

Reactions: SI and seafoam

steveat

Jun 4, 2011
Aho has nice hands and can do a lot of offence related things...yes, he does make mistakes..no doubt, BUT from what I have noticed, he is talented enough to cover for them..at leat most of them. The problem with the others like ...say...Quine is that when he screws up..there's no fixing it.

QuadDeuces

Jul 16, 2006
Salt Lake City
I thought he's looked good. But I'm also having a hard time singling out a defenseman who, by himself, has been a tire fire this season. The unit as a whole has, but it's not like there's a Strait bringing the entire unit down.

YesCubed

Mar 2, 2015
I like him. He very much needs more time in the AHL. But he can pass and skate.

Nassau Revisited

Jun 16, 2017
He should be sent down. He is often overmatched and makes at least 1 pinch a game leading to a 2 on 1.

He may be a bottom pairing PP guy one day but that day is not today.

If we had a real GM a depth dman would have been traded for 3 months ago

mm11

Jan 26, 2005
Fleming island, Fl
It is me but does this kid make you do a double take on some of the pretty slick moves he is making during this call up? He has been thrown to the wolves and has some blood on him but again I am noticing some plays started but Aho that have me believing The Isles may have a player.

Reactions: Sheva7

steveat

Jun 4, 2011
I've always liked him...it's you guys that swing back and forth in your opinions :cool:

He'll do fine and has done well playing in a men's league for years..SEL > AHL

I think all that's needed for him to shine is building chemistry with the rest of the guys. If he could play with a solid stable partner who can cycle..he'll do wonders.

C24

Jan 25, 2018
I've always liked him...it's you guys that swing back and forth in your opinions :cool:

He'll do fine and has done well playing in a men's league for years..SEL > AHL

I think all that's needed for him to shine is building chemistry with the rest of the guys. If he could play with a solid stable partner who can cycle..he'll do wonders.
It is always the same. This player will be fine. That player will be fine. Well fine does not win cups. Fine is a losers attitude.

steveat

Jun 4, 2011
What problem do you see from him? You'd probably see the same thing from Toews if he came up. He'll make his mistakes, but they aren't because he's not good. Done pretty well considering.

seabass45

Jan 12, 2007
He's decent enough and not Seidenberg. Seidenberg shouldn't be playing under any circumstances at this point.

Reactions: IODCPiper

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad