Seattle's YET still unnamed team

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Isn't there already a Seattle Thunderbirds?
Proposal is to buy the name from the WHL club. Anything is for sale at the right price. Likely an 8 figure amount would get them the name given the built in name recognition.

SladeWilson23

I keep my promises.
Sponsor
Nov 3, 2014
New Jersey
Yes, there is only one Dracula.

Yes, there is only one great white sharks that terrorized the little sea-side town of Amityville.

Until Jaws 2. Then there were two great white sharks that terrorized the little sea-side town of Amityville.

I thought Jaws's origins was Martha's Vineyard.

EDIT: Actually the book took place in a fictional town based in Long Island called Amity. The movies were filmed in Martha's Vineyard.

Hoser

Aug 7, 2005
Because I'm trying to decide whether or not I want to camp out for a few days at KeyArena before tickets go on sale.

And this is determinant on what the team nickname is? LOL

If you're really considering "camping out for tickets" then it doesn't matter what they call the team: they've already got you snookered.

Governor

Nov 8, 2019
I can see Seattle having a completely boring and unimaginative team name. Something along the lines of: The Seattle Rain, or The Seattle Rush.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
Seahawks
Sounders
Supersonics
Mariners

One name isnt like the others. My gut says they will go with Sockeyes now, but my favourite is still Emeralds.

I tried to let totems grow on me, but I still dont like it. Its pretty much the only name I'm hearing that I dislike. The others are meh to good.

Jan 9, 2007
Australia
Seahawks
Sounders
Supersonics
Mariners

One name isnt like the others. My gut says they will go with Sockeyes now, but my favourite is still Emeralds.

I tried to let totems grow on me, but I still dont like it. Its pretty much the only name I'm hearing that I dislike. The others are meh to good.
Is "totems" actually a thing? In this day and age I would be very surprised if that were the team name, especially in a locale like Seattle. Native American cultural appropriation needs to go away in sports. I would put the chance of that name sticking at .00001%

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
Is "totems" actually a thing? In this day and age I would be very surprised if that were the team name, especially in a locale like Seattle. Native American cultural appropriation needs to go away in sports. I would put the chance of that name sticking at .00001%

I may be totally wrong, but
I thought totems represent native art carved into cedar.

I think if its thought of as a tribute to the area's cultural arts, then it should be fine. Its definitely not a name like redskins.

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
I may be totally wrong, but
I thought totems represent native art carved into cedar.

I think if its thought of as a tribute to the area's cultural arts, then it should be fine. Its definitely not a name like redskins.

Here's the problem: The famous "Seattle totem pole" was stolen from a native village in Alaska then brought back to Seattle and erected. Some Seattle businessmen on a boat tour literally snuck into a native village while most of the residents were off hunting and sawed down the totem pole and loaded it onto their boat and left.

The chance of this being celebrated and honored by a sports team name is zero. This story would be plastered over every media outlet if they were to name the team that. Seattle's relationship with totem poles is absolutely shameful.

Last edited:

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Throw in the same jerseys and I say do the deal. I'd do anything to get those Whalers jerseys back in the league, even if it doesn't involve Hartford.
Name is already selected, as they are expected to announce it at the ASG. I highly doubt both the NHL and WHL team could keep something like that under wraps given the legal requirements involved.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
We haven’t seen a solid fish jersey in a while..

View attachment 303081

But seriously, Thunderbirds would be fantastic.
5434850.jpg

Reactions: Ginormousthumbs

IceNeophyte

Nov 14, 2017
Here's the problem: The famous "Seattle totem pole" was stolen from a native village in Alaska then brought back to Seattle and erected. Some Seattle businessmen on a boat tour literally snuck into a native village while most of the residents were off hunting and sawed down the totem pole and loaded it onto their boat and left.

The chance of this being celebrated and honored by a sports team name is zero. This story will plastered over every media outlet if they were to name the team that. Seattle's relationship with totem poles is absolutely shameful.

The Seattle StolePoles.

HolyCrap

Oct 2, 2015
sockeyes is awful. not like it's a picturesque or inspiring creature.

I couldn’t disagree more. You obviously don’t understand the significance of that species and salmon species in general. Albeit I’m a little bias as I’m far more educated in that aspect than most.

eartotheground

capslock broken
Sponsor
Jul 7, 2006
Helsinki South
I couldn’t disagree more. You obviously don’t understand the significance of that species and salmon species in general. Albeit I’m a little bias as I’m far more educated in that aspect than most.
I’d be happy to be educated, but at a glance it’s noting like an orca or a shark. Not that that diminishes its importance or value in the real world, but it’s a mascot we’re talking about here.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017

The chance of this being celebrated and honored by a sports team name is zero. This story will plastered over every media outlet if they were to name the team that. Seattle's relationship with totem poles is absolutely shameful.

Yeah, that changes things. I was not aware of that story.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad