Seattle's YET still unnamed team

Hoser

Aug 7, 2005
Dragging it out like this is rather overdramatic and unncessary.

This thread is rather overdramatic and unnecessary. You make it sound as though they keep teasing the public with morsels of information, when in reality they haven't made anything more than vague assertions that they'd announce a name.

Hrkac Circus

Dec 11, 2014
Vienna, IL
I'm still holding out hope that they reach an agreement with the WHL franchise and make the Thunderbirds their moniker.

Seattle Thunderbirds is just a great sounding name, can fit with essentially any color scheme making rebrandings easy, and the obvious shorthand for the team "Birds" works and would be unique.

I'm not remotely expecting it, though. How about Seattle Breakers?
Yes, definitely this. Offer them a million dollars for the Thunderbirds name if that’s what it takes. Seattle Thunderbirds is light years ahead of anything else I’ve heard.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
I'm still holding out hope that they reach an agreement with the WHL franchise and make the Thunderbirds their moniker.

Seattle Thunderbirds is just a great sounding name, can fit with essentially any color scheme making rebrandings easy, and the obvious shorthand for the team "Birds" works and would be unique.

I'm not remotely expecting it, though. How about Seattle Breakers?

The Thunderbirds have probably my favorite branding in all of junior hockey. Just impeccable, I really do wish we could just transfer that to the NHL.

Incidentally the Thunderbirds came to Seattle as the Breakers.

iu

I'm not a huge fan of the Breakers name for whatever that is worth and I doubt that name holds much of any sentimental value in Seattle 35 years after rebranding a junior team, but still an interesting tidbit that I legitimately wasn't aware of. Personally I find it a little too close to Sounders in this scenario. Seattle already has a team named after its location on Puget Sound. I'd be fine with a name of something located within Puget Sound, but the sound itself...been there, done that.

I kinda wish Geoducks was a possibility, just for the reactions/pronunciations it would get outside of the northwest.

Last edited:

Pucker Factor 10

Serious guy who doesn't take things too seriously
Oct 26, 2019
The Frozen Tundra of Nanook
This thread is rather overdramatic and unnecessary. You make it sound as though they keep teasing the public with morsels of information, when in reality they haven't made anything more than vague assertions that they'd announce a name.

Is that you Todd? Sure has kept you entertained for a few days now though, hasn't it?

Let's see, they were awarded the franchise in Dec. 2018, then the name was originally supposed to come out in spring of last year, then before the end of last year......:blah: As a potential fan of the team, I wouldn't be real happy with this. Would you? I mean, what's there to defend here?

Seattle's NHL team name will arrive before end of 2019

Reactions: Morrison

Boulder Avalanche

Pull the Goalie
Apr 9, 2013
I think the name they had chosen did not do well in focus groups and now they are scrambling to see if others test better and if they do have a plan for a logo.

L30N

Dec 31, 2019
Nordic westcoast
I think Kraken sucks.. corny af and I can't comprehend the hype of something so childish almost.. same goes for thunderbirds and firebirds or any put-together shit like that.. Totems doesnt roll of the tongue well either. I wasn't a fan of Golden Knights tbh, so forced

Something classy would be nice such as Seattle Emeralds och Seattle Skyline. Or something more not "traditionally" intimidating like Seattle Cranes, that could be a good name.

Seattle Metropolitans is classy but yeah it clashes with the division and it sucks to chant, to many syllables.

If the colors they kinda revealed is set then I think Seattle Sockeye or Seattle Sockeyes will be the name, which is cool since its a fierce looking fish

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Yes, definitely this. Offer them a million dollars for the Thunderbirds name if that’s what it takes. Seattle Thunderbirds is light years ahead of anything else I’ve heard.
I have been saying this for years. Incredible logo and perfect in every way
seattleLogo.png
would have to go to a green base for home so they mirror the Canucks uniforms though

rBVaV1zBd0mAJeCNAAEB6AONnYk873.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Hrkac Circus

Section32

May 26, 2011
CT
I think their fanbase and marketing approach at certain times can feel nuseating, as it feels like they want the undisputed label of "canada's team", or they already perceive that to be a given.

But that feeling does not come from the logo itself, at least not for me.

Thank.

And I hear what you are saying. I can see them wanting to be Canada's Team...very interesting.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
That light blue + red looks GOOD! And JUST close enough to the Red Wings to piss them off.

Red is a colour that no professional team uses or used in seattle as far as I know. All their teams have incorporated a green, or blueish green tone in some way.

I like the scheme though. It reminds me a bit of the kelowna rockets.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
What's a good name in your opinion then? I like Metropolitans with the history or Evergreen.

I'm not sure. I think that's why we're kind of in this position. There doesn't seem to be any great names that just stick out and that aren't already taken.

I think Sockeyes is my favorite so far. Unique, has ties to the area and has potential for a great logo with a native american theme like other Seattle teams.

Reactions: Skjeikspeare

Eisen

Sep 30, 2009
Duesseldorf
Seriously. Where are people getting this idea that a team name has to, at its essence, evoke some type of fear or intimidation?

What the hell is intidimating about..

Ducks
Canadiens
Leafs
Senators
Capitals
Islanders
Blues
Stars
Canucks
Oilers
Flyers
To extend, who is intimidated by a name?

Reactions: Rebels57

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
I don't think the name has to have local ties. That's a decision the organization can make but its no pre-requisite.

Sometimes, teams relocate and still keep their old name. The LA Lakers makes no sense from a local standpoint, but it just sounds right. Calgary flames is a reference to the heat in atlanta. How many tigers live in detroit?

I would probably prefer a local tie-in for a team name, but I certainly wouldn't limit myself to them.

KCC

Aug 15, 2007
I did the samething. Lol.

I’ve always like the Seattle Sockeye.
Loved the name sockeyes ever since it was tossed around. Some ppl think it’s cheesy but it fits the city well, it sounds great to say and it’s very different. I want a bad Azz fish logo in the nhl. Lol

Seriously. Where are people getting this idea that a team name has to, at its essence, evoke some type of fear or intimidation?

What the hell is intidimating about..

Ducks
Canadiens
Leafs
Senators
Capitals
Islanders
Blues
Stars
Canucks
Oilers
Flyers

Yup. True. Honestly, some of the current team names are awful. I firmly believe some of the old school names suck and we as fans are just used to them, so it’s fine. But if you tried to name a team those nowadays they would be mocked. Lol

Reactions: The Spring Samauri

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad