Seattle's AHL team trademark of Firebird rejected

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
Not sure what you’re getting at. The article also clearly states the team will be shared and the Blues will still be associated with the Wolves. This <<sharing>> of an AHL team is exactly what I was talking about with regards to Seattle temporarily sharing an AHL team during their inaugural season.

As for the league requisitioning the team, Edmonton Roadrunners were dormant for 5 full years before they were threatened with requisition. I’m not sure of a time when a Iowa AHL team was threatened by the league other than the time when the Iowa Chops owners broke league bylaws by putting the team up for collateral against a loan. Ducks’ former affiliate violated AHL rules – Orange County Register
Edmonton was told, BD.... pick a market or lose it.....that has nothing to do with a split affiliation, or dual affiliation, tommy is correct, St. Louis also lost developmental rights in 2017/2018, because their coaches weren't implementing the Blues developmental philosophy.... that's why Vegas was given full control over coaching and player development once that deal was signed with Chicago.... remember the sidebar thread over Kansas City AND THE AHL shut down any discussions over Independence, where the Mavericks are based, after they said they weren't interested.

it wasn't known then that Colorado wanted to join the ranks of owner/affiliate, which opened the door for the Blues to enter into the agreement in San Antonio.... it has nothing to do with the article you cited....because Texas got that franchise fully after being awarded a conditional franchise

Avsrule2022

"No more rats"
Apr 4, 2012
Longmont, CO
I was right all along:

St. Louis did not have a technical affiliation with any AHL Franchise in 2017/2018, BD..... all Blues prospects were loaned, not a split affiliation...

google the Blues affiliates and there a article from St. Louis.... that said Vegas got the developmental rights, in 2017/2018... THERE was no expansion to codify the rule that the AHL requires a 1 to 1 straight affiliation, whether that through solely an affiliation as the Blues did with San Antonio the last two years (which were granted to them through an agreement with Colorado).... when the Avalanche bought the rights to promote the Eagles to the AHL, that's why the Eagles ownership held the ransom on the Kelly Cup UNTIL that was settled, that's why there's no Coplorado Eagles franchise rights in the ECHL....and the claim that Newfoundland (an expansion team) got indirectly implicated as to why the Eagles previous incarnation was not transferred over.

the only caveat was Vegas doesn't own the Wolves.... nor does Carolina.

The Avs did not buy the rights to "promote" the Eagles to the AHL. The Eagles owner bought the available AHL expansion franchise that was created when Vegas became the 31st NHL team and passed on purchasing said expansion franchise. Then the Avs dumped San Antonio and affiliated with the Eagles.

Holding ransom on the Kelley Cup had zero to do with the AHL, and has nothing to do with the discussion at hand, but thanks for bringing it up again:rolleyes:

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
The Avs did not buy the rights to "promote" the Eagles to the AHL. The Eagles owner bought the available AHL expansion franchise that was created when Vegas became the 31st NHL team and passed on purchasing said expansion franchise. Then the Avs dumped San Antonio and affiliated with the Eagles.

Holding ransom on the Kelley Cup had zero to do with the AHL, and has nothing to do with the discussion at hand, but thanks for bringing it up again:rolleyes:
disagree....sorry, why did Colorado "flake" out on San Antonio, then, Avs, just as they "flaked out of every affiliation" IN the AHL, Colorado already had the affiliation, and where are those Avalanche entry-level players that feed into Loveland, eh..... Colorado ownership of the Eagles is what they got, not the 'loser' owner of the Eagles crying about being shafted.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
I'm amazed at the number of things that Hutch disagrees with that are factually accurate.
where was Barclay back in 2006/07 when the Iowa scenario was discussed.....what franchise/member club was affiliated when Anaheim left for that agreement before it was public knowledge that leveraging a member club for fradulent purposes was allowed..... SOME posters seem to forget the codicil that Portland had prior to the sale in 2015/2016, where it stated in accordance with the league bylaws that a PDC is a REQUIREMENT, not a recommendation to be an active club in the AHL.

it's a wonder Cincinnati has pro hockey at any level, never mind the Cyclones, stopping/starting numerous times

what does anything that Edmonton or Iowa did 13 years ago have any correlation with Seattle's AHL Franchise application that the League approved 2 years ago....

Barclay Donaldson

Feb 4, 2018
Tatooine
disagree....sorry, why did Colorado "flake" out on San Antonio, then, Avs, just as they "flaked out of every affiliation" IN the AHL, Colorado already had the affiliation, and where are those Avalanche entry-level players that feed into Loveland, eh..... Colorado ownership of the Eagles is what they got, not the 'loser' owner of the Eagles crying about being shafted.

Colorado Eagles will become 31st AHL franchise, affiliate with Colorado Avalanche starting 2018-19 – Loveland Reporter-Herald
Frei: Eagles about to fly up a level as Avalanche affiliate |
Colorado Eagles owner, developer Martin Lind all about hockey
Eagles announce move to AHL to become primary Avalanche affiliate
The Colorado Eagles aren’t giving the Kelly Cup back to the ECHL thanks to a million-dollar dispute of “integrity” – The Denver Post

You really need to start fact checking yourself. You may not be able to write in complete sentences or complete a coherent thought, but you can probably do research at a second grade level.

Tommy Hawk

May 27, 2006
Not sure what you’re getting at. The article also clearly states the team will be shared and the Blues will still be associated with the Wolves. This <<sharing>> of an AHL team is exactly what I was talking about with regards to Seattle temporarily sharing an AHL team during their inaugural season.

As for the league requisitioning the team, Edmonton Roadrunners were dormant for 5 full years before they were threatened with requisition. I’m not sure of a time when a Iowa AHL team was threatened by the league other than the time when the Iowa Chops owners broke league bylaws by putting the team up for collateral against a loan. Ducks’ former affiliate violated AHL rules – Orange County Register

No, it says the players will be loaned to Vegas, not Chicago.

Reactions: CHRDANHUTCH

Barclay Donaldson

Feb 4, 2018
Tatooine
No, it says the players will be loaned to Vegas, not Chicago.

5 things to know about the Blues' AHL arrangement

The Blues will continue to send prospects to the Chicago Wolves in 2017-18, as will the Vegas Golden Knights.
The Golden Knights will not be using Blues prospects on their NHL club in Vegas, just like the Blues won't be calling up Golden Knights prospects to St. Louis.
"Part of my comfort level is my relationship with (Vegas GM) George McPhee," Armstrong said of the arrangement. "He and I have talked extensively on the benefits of this relationship… I think it's a really competitive advantage for Vegas and us to join forces. We can input some of our better prospects into their environment."

Blues will share AHL team with expansion Vegas club

The Blues, instead, will “associate” with the Golden Knights and share the team.
“The St. Louis Blues will not renew our primary affiliation with the AHL's Chicago Wolves past the 2016-17 season,” general manager Doug Armstrong said. “We will associate with the Vegas Golden Knights and supply players to the Golden Knights' AHL affiliate next season.”

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
5 things to know about the Blues' AHL arrangement

The Blues will continue to send prospects to the Chicago Wolves in 2017-18, as will the Vegas Golden Knights.
The Golden Knights will not be using Blues prospects on their NHL club in Vegas, just like the Blues won't be calling up Golden Knights prospects to St. Louis.
"Part of my comfort level is my relationship with (Vegas GM) George McPhee," Armstrong said of the arrangement. "He and I have talked extensively on the benefits of this relationship… I think it's a really competitive advantage for Vegas and us to join forces. We can input some of our better prospects into their environment."

Blues will share AHL team with expansion Vegas club

The Blues, instead, will “associate” with the Golden Knights and share the team.
“The St. Louis Blues will not renew our primary affiliation with the AHL's Chicago Wolves past the 2016-17 season,” general manager Doug Armstrong said. “We will associate with the Vegas Golden Knights and supply players to the Golden Knights' AHL affiliate next season.”
false.....

wikipedia-Chicago Wolves, nowhere in the above article states a shared affiliation, Barclay..... Vegas signed an exclusivity agreement, because it's their coaching staff that was installed in 2017/2018, as tommy pointed out in his replies....

the Blues had no affiliation with any team, because it doesn't explain Binnington's contract being assigned to Providence, if there was no AHL Affiliation and Vegas got the exclusive rights for player transactions

Avsrule2022

"No more rats"
Apr 4, 2012
Longmont, CO

Like 9 of them are in the bubble in Edmonton right now, more than half the Eagles team was Avs entry level players last year, not sure what you're trying to get at here......

And I still can't tell if you think the Avs own the Colorado AHL team, like you mentioned before. But it's not worth arguing about, because everyone know that it's factually incorrect.

royals119

Jun 12, 2006
West Lawn, PA
Really, after all this time, you're STILL amazed?
Some things are so amazing, you can see them multiple times, and still be amazed by them. Sort of like Tiger Woods back in his prime playing days. You saw him do unbelieveable stuff, and yet when he did something else that no one else could do, it was still unbelieveable. Hutch is the Tiger Woods of bizarre HF Boards posts. You have to read it to see what crazy nonsense he is going to come up with next.

mk80

Jul 30, 2012
false.....

wikipedia-Chicago Wolves, nowhere in the above article states a shared affiliation, Barclay..... Vegas signed an exclusivity agreement, because it's their coaching staff that was installed in 2017/2018, as tommy pointed out in his replies....

the Blues had no affiliation with any team, because it doesn't explain Binnington's contract being assigned to Providence, if there was no AHL Affiliation and Vegas got the exclusive rights for player transactions
Specifically in regards to Binnington, at that time Binnington was not our lead goaltending prospect, Ville Husso was, so because the room for goalies on both Chicago and San Antonio was maxed out the Blues tried putting Binnington in the ECHL but he refused that, so eventually they loaned him to Providence where he played out the season. Depth chart wise he was behind Husso so the Blues did not care where he played and how much ice time he got. Had Husso not been injured/ coming back from injury in the 2018-19 season he would have likely been called up ahead of Binnington, but that and Binnington's good play for the Rampage in his absence was what led to his call up.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
So which of the 12 independent teams will Seattle share or led their non roster players that aren't draftees.

Barclay Donaldson

Feb 4, 2018
Tatooine
So which of the 12 independent teams will Seattle share or led their non roster players that aren't draftees.

It is believed Seattle plans to spread out their limited prospects among to any team which will accept them.

I would be surprised to see Seattle have more than a few non-NHL players during their first season.

Last edited:
Reactions: mk80 and JMCx4

royals119

Jun 12, 2006
West Lawn, PA
I would be surprised to see Seattle have more than a few non-NHL players during their first season.
Las Vegas used 20 F, 10 D and 5 G in thier first season. I would think Seattle would have at least 4 forwards, 3 dmen and 3 goalies signed beyond their opening day NHL roster, just to cover injuries. Some of them, particularly the goalies, may end up in the ECHL to start the year, and then get reassigned as spots open up

Reactions: Tommy Hawk

Barclay Donaldson

Feb 4, 2018
Tatooine
Las Vegas used 20 F, 10 D and 5 G in thier first season. I would think Seattle would have at least 4 forwards, 3 dmen and 3 goalies signed beyond their opening day NHL roster, just to cover injuries. Some of them, particularly the goalies, may end up in the ECHL to start the year, and then get reassigned as spots open up

Your point? All except for two or three like Pirri and Whitecloud were NHL-contracted players signed well before the start of the season. They didn't have many minor-league contracted players I can think of for their inaugural season. That's what I was saying, non-NHL players. Vegas had an AHL team which was predominantly theirs, albeit shared in theory with St. Louis and they still almost had no minor-league contracted players. Seattle is planning to send their prospects to any team that will take them and will have even less.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
Your point? All except for two or three like Pirri and Whitecloud were NHL-contracted players signed well before the start of the season. They didn't have many minor-league contracted players I can think of for their inaugural season. That's what I was saying, non-NHL players. Vegas had an AHL team which was predominantly theirs, albeit shared in theory with St. Louis and they still almost had no minor-league contracted players. Seattle is planning to send their prospects to any team that will take them and will have even less.

My notes on 2017 (and earlier) transactions: VGK Hockey Transactions 2017

AHL Chicago season opening roster: 10/5 Tyler Wong (AHL), Jake Walman, Scooter Vaughn (AHL), TJ Tynan, Alex Tuch, Brock Trotter (AHL PTO), Paul Thompson, Shea Theodore, Brett Sterling (AHL PTO), Vadim Shipachyov, Teemu Pulkinen, Brandon Pirri, Dmitry Osipov (AHL), Kenny Morrison (AHL), Stefan Matteau, Mackenzie MacEachern, Petteri Lindbohm, Curtis Leonard (AHL PTO), Max Lagace, Keegan Kolesar, Tomas Hyka, Bryce Gervais (AHL), Oscar Dansk, Chris Castro, Connor Bleackley (STL), Jake Bischoff, Jordan Binnington (STL), Beau Bennett (STL)

19 players on NHL deals with VGK. Three STL players with team. 5 on AHL deals; 3 AHL PTOs.

AHL Chicago transactions for 17-18 season: TheAHL.com | The American Hockey League

Here's the team stats for the season: Chicago Wolves 2017-18 roster and scoring statistics at hockeydb.com

Whitecloud wasn't signed by the organization until March 2018. VGK Hockey Transactions 2018

Barclay Donaldson

Feb 4, 2018
Tatooine

AHL Chicago season opening roster: 10/5 Tyler Wong (AHL), Jake Walman, Scooter Vaughn (AHL), TJ Tynan, Alex Tuch, Brock Trotter (AHL PTO), Paul Thompson, Shea Theodore, Brett Sterling (AHL PTO), Vadim Shipachyov, Teemu Pulkinen, Brandon Pirri, Dmitry Osipov (AHL), Kenny Morrison (AHL), Stefan Matteau, Mackenzie MacEachern, Petteri Lindbohm, Curtis Leonard (AHL PTO), Max Lagace, Keegan Kolesar, Tomas Hyka, Bryce Gervais (AHL), Oscar Dansk, Chris Castro, Connor Bleackley (STL), Jake Bischoff, Jordan Binnington (STL), Beau Bennett (STL)

19 players on NHL deals with VGK. Three STL players with team. 5 on AHL deals; 3 AHL PTOs.

AHL Chicago transactions for 17-18 season: TheAHL.com | The American Hockey League

Here's the team stats for the season: Chicago Wolves 2017-18 roster and scoring statistics at hockeydb.com

Whitecloud wasn't signed by the organization until March 2018. VGK Hockey Transactions 2018

My point exactly. 8 total AHL contracted players. With Seattle not having a team at all, expect even fewer.

axecrew

Feb 6, 2007

You are both wrong.....Walman..St Louis, Shipachyov...wasn't on opening night roster for Wolves...was barely on the roster period, MacEachern...St Louis, Lindbohm St Louis, and now the guys you missed...Wade Megan... St Louis,Ivan Barbashev...St Louis, Vince Dunn...St Louis,

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
@axecrew Shipachyov was "on the roster" but was allowed not to report as he was expected to be recalled like the next day but there was a LTIR move that had to happen first. (He never did report even when he was assigned later in the season. Didn't even last a month in the organization before suspension/retirement.)

Tommy Hawk

May 27, 2006
My point exactly. 8 total AHL contracted players. With Seattle not having a team at all, expect even fewer.

There is absolutely zero chance for Seattle to have a single AHL contracted player because they don't have a team so they can't sign a player to an AHL contract. The can assign the heck out of players to the AHL and ECHL but there is absolutely no way for them to have an AHL contracted player. AHL contracted players are not tied to any NHL team, they are tied only to the AHL team.

You are both wrong.....Walman..St Louis, Shipachyov...wasn't on opening night roster for Wolves...was barely on the roster period, MacEachern...St Louis, Lindbohm St Louis, and now the guys you missed...Wade Megan... St Louis,Ivan Barbashev...St Louis, Vince Dunn...St Louis,

You have no clue what you are talking about. You were totally wrong about the Panthers affiliation and I expect you to apologize to everyone on this board for the error of your ways..... :)

:wally::booboo::wally:

Reactions: JMCx4

axecrew

Feb 6, 2007
@axecrew Shipachyov was "on the roster" but was allowed not to report as he was expected to be recalled like the next day but there was a LTIR move that had to happen first. (He never did report even when he was assigned later in the season. Didn't even last a month in the organization before suspension/retirement.)

Ok stanley...you know more than me...You're right...how stupid is it of me to think that I, a 20+ years season ticket holder of the Chicago Wolves and the VERY GUY who back in FEB told everyone on here that Carolina would be affiliating with the Wolves, could have any idea of what I am talking about concerning said team. In fact I'm equally positive the photos of vadim shipachyov practicing with those same Chicago Wolves in Grand Rapids, after his second assignment that he didn't report to, are all fake and never actually took place. Not too mention that the fact that he was in Las Vegas when the Wolves opened their season so just because it was a paper transaction I wouldn't say he was on the roster...had he been On the roster he wouldve played in Austin texas that night and yet he appears on neither teams game sheet...but of course I'm wrong and you said so.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad