Seattle VII: SoDon't? To Kwila or not To Kwila (RayB to apply for expansion)

Status
Not open for further replies.

PCSPounder

Stadium Groupie
Apr 12, 2012
The Outskirts of Nutria Nanny
http://www.seattletimes.com/sports/hockey/the-time-is-now-to-make-nhl-expansion-to-seattle-happen/

Seattle Times column today on NHL to Seattle, written by someone OTHER than a certain Mr. Baker......

There it is, folks. The marching orders, for those who really, truly want to add another pro franchise here (and lay the groundwork for an NBA franchise to follow).

Get your act together.

As someone who works hard to read between lines, I get that sense that this piece is directed squarely at Chris Hansen.

Melrose Munch

Mar 18, 2007
As someone who works hard to read between lines, I get that sense that this piece is directed squarely at Chris Hansen.
As it should be. If that arena in Tukwila is built, Sodo is dead and in 25 years they'll blame Chris when they have to build a new arena downtown anyway.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
Which is why Tukwila is good for the NHL and NBA but a bad idea for the region. And what are you going to do when the Seahawks want a stadium in 5 years?

Seahawks are going into the suburbs if they want a new stadium. They'll have no problem selling the stadium out if it was built in Redmond washington and they'll get that public hand out cause they are the seahawks.

Melrose Munch

Mar 18, 2007
Seahawks are going into the suburbs if they want a new stadium. They'll have no problem selling the stadium out if it was built in Redmond washington and they'll get that public hand out cause they are the seahawks.
So two black eyes on Seattle city council in 4 years? I don't think so. Not if Murray wants to be mayor still.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
So two black eyes on Seattle city council in 4 years? I don't think so. Not if Murray wants to be mayor still.

Its not going to be 4 years. both seahawks and Sounders lease expires in 2028. I expect It'll be in the 2020's when a starts to happen in the region in which it'll open up by the time the seahawk's lease expires.

There is no more land in Seattle for a stadium of that size. it's going into the suburbs.

IF that happens, Sounders will do their own renovations at the clink and install a grass pitch.

Melrose Munch

Mar 18, 2007
Its not going to be 4 years. both seahawks and Sounders lease expires in 2028. I expect It'll be in the 2020's when a starts to happen in the region.

There is no more land in Seattle for a stadium of that size. it's going into the suburbs.
They can demolish centurylink.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
They can demolish centurylink.

Not with the sounders playing there. Both teams lease expires 2028.

I don't think both team wants to play at husky stadium. What i could see happening is new seahawks stadium opens for 2028-29 season and they just move to the new stadium.

Remember I-91 law. That'll apply to the new seahawks stadium if they replace the clink with it. And I-91 people will fight it any city funds going towards the clink.

Melrose Munch

Mar 18, 2007
Not with the sounders playing there. Both teams lease expires 2028.

I don't think both team wants to play at husky stadium. What i could see happening is new seahawks stadium opens for 2028-29 season and they just move to the new stadium.

Remember I-91 law. That'll apply to the new seahawks stadium if they replace the clink with it. And I-91 people will fight it any city funds going towards the clink.
If the seahawks start early I 91 is not a big deal. They could start in 2025 have an EIR for the end of that year. Even that is 3 years, plenty of time.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
If the seahawks start early I 91 is not a big deal. They could start in 2025 have an EIR for the end of that year. Even that is 3 years, plenty of time.

I-91 has to do with direct city funding of sports stadiums in the city of seattle unless they take the sodo arena approach and use debt capacity. The funding would have to meet I-91.

Melrose Munch

Mar 18, 2007
I-91 has to do with direct city funding of sports stadiums in the city of seattle unless they take the sodo arena approach and use debt capacity. The funding would have to meet I-91.
3 years is enough time to make sure that happens.

Anyway, back to the topic. You're still holding to the Seattle has done nothing wrong but not being ready point?

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
3 years is enough time to make sure that happens.

Anyway, back to the topic. You're still holding to the Seattle has done nothing wrong but not being ready point?

Personally i blame SCC if Sodo arena doesn't happen. I do not think NBA first plan but for NHL is unreasonable as long as the NHL group agrees to the personal guarantees. But the whole more private dollars is making it more difficult to get a NHL first deal done regardless of who is to blame for that progress stalling.

I think its impossible for a NHL first deal to be done and appease both Hansen and SCC. it would be more easier to get done if the Seattle city council was more reasonable.

Perhaps with the expansion process happening with the NHL, there might be some movement there. We'll see what happens.

Its no guarantees if both tukwila arena and Sodo arena have application bids that NHL will pick Ray B.

A conditional expansion team might be what Coleman needs to get Hansen and SCC to budge. We do have a bigger worry though at Sodo arena 2015 council elections of all 9 seats being up. It might be impossible to get NHL first done unless its 100% private if the new council next January demands that and you can't blame that on hansen.

snovalleyhockeyfan

I'm just the messenger.....
May 22, 2008
North Bend, WA
While most of the action is going on down in the desert today, I have a couple of items for all to discuss on the Seattle front:

Jon Humbert ‏@jonhumbert 2h2 hours ago
#TukwilaArena update: City narrowing scope of enviro study. Another step forward & full steam ahead: http://www.tukwilawa.gov/dcd/arena/ScopingCommentSummary.pdf …

KOMO's Jon Humbert with a Tukwila Arena tweet from earlier today.

Also:

http://q13fox.com/2015/06/28/commentary-is-six-weeks-enough-to-get-nhl-ducks-in-a-row/

Aaron Levine from KCPQ did his Q It Up sports commentary last night on the NHL to Seattle.

GordonGraham

Sep 12, 2009
Did anyone came out publicly to say they will present a bid to the nhl next week like quebecor or Foley did?

MuzikMachine

Nov 14, 2005
Looks like Seattle Mayor Ed Murrey is trying to get the Seattle arena project moving.

Murray meets with Seattle Arena group; calls Coleman
Chris Daniels, KING 5 News

A source confirms that one of Murray's top aides spoke late last week with a representative of Victor Coleman's group, who has been identified by the league as a potential hockey team owner. The source confirms that Murray's office initiated the conversation. It's unclear what Coleman's representative told the aide, or what his immediate future holds with the league.

Sources close to both Murray, and Chris Hansen's Seattle Arena group, confirm that the Mayor met for lunch with Pete and Erik Nordstrom last Friday. The meeting had been planned for weeks, and was prompted by the Nordstroms, according to sources on both sides. Murray reiterated, at that meeting, his intent to finish the project.

http://www.king5.com/story/news/local/seattle/2015/06/29/seattle-mayor-nhl-nba/29493307/

Feb 7, 2012
Seattle
Expected, but nice to be confirmed:

Geoff BakerVerified account
‏@GeoffBakerTIMES

Arena update: not really "news" just getting on record. Ray Bartozsek will apply to #NHL for expansion team in #Tukwila #NHLtoSeattle #Arena

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
Never in doubt IMO but good to hear :handclap:

Curious to hear how many groups for the market will end up applying. I'm thinking Ray B may not be the only one.

Expect Sodo arena group to also apply. Curious to see how they'll address that nhl first issue. That's the only thing left for that arena.

Brodie

HACK THE BONE! HACK THE BONE!
Mar 19, 2009
Chicago
Would really depend on what Coleman can do in a short period of time. I'm glad Tukwila is getting in on the action, I'd started to fear that the NHL was planning a Portland relocation and calling it a day in the PNW

Fugu

RIP Barb
Nov 26, 2004
϶(°o°)ϵ
Expect Sodo arena group to also apply. Curious to see how they'll address that nhl first issue. That's the only thing left for that arena.

You mean "you" expect the SoDo group to apply (aka Coleman)?

That has been an issue from day one. The NHL isn't going to award a team on the hope that Hansen and Seattle might change the MOU. It has to be rock solid, plus the ownership vetting will have to be solid as well, just like RayB will be getting a full vetting.

maruk14

Jun 24, 2002
Seattle, WA
Visit site
You mean "you" expect the SoDo group to apply (aka Coleman)?

That has been an issue from day one. The NHL isn't going to award a team on the hope that Hansen and Seattle might change the MOU. It has to be rock solid, plus the ownership vetting will have to be solid as well, just like RayB will be getting a full vetting.

The scope of the ownership group may be different this time around but you would think Ray B has already been vetted by the NHL based on the near Coyotes relocation.

Fugu

RIP Barb
Nov 26, 2004
϶(°o°)ϵ
The scope of the ownership group may be different this time around but you would think Ray B has already been vetted by the NHL based on the near Coyotes relocation.

Not in a formal way yet, no. That takes a deeper due diligence and finally exec committee on franchise sales (and expansion), then BOG approval of the owner. The leagues approve owners and team sales as separate transactions, as a way of avoiding anti-trust matters.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad