Seattle VII: SoDon't? To Kwila or not To Kwila (RayB to apply for expansion)

Status
Not open for further replies.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
You mean "you" expect the SoDo group to apply (aka Coleman)?

That has been an issue from day one. The NHL isn't going to award a team on the hope that Hansen and Seattle might change the MOU. It has to be rock solid, plus the ownership vetting will have to be solid as well, just like RayB will be getting a full vetting.

And yet this NHL starting expansion process may take what it needs to get NHL first deal done. And not applying for expansion is a guarantee that nothing happens NHL first.

maruk14

Jun 24, 2002
Seattle, WA
Visit site
Not in a formal way yet, no. That takes a deeper due diligence and finally exec committee on franchise sales (and expansion), then BOG approval of the owner. The leagues approve owners and team sales as separate transactions, as a way of avoiding anti-trust matters.

I just wonder how much of that was already done (and not reported) knowing that he had moving trucks at the ready to move the team to Seattle if Glendale had voted down the proposal in '13.

brewski420

Sep 29, 2009
Ohio

Couple of very interesting quotes from that article.

NHL commissioner Gary Bettman said last week that the league will begin accepting formal expansion bids July 6 and conclude that process by Aug. 10. The league does not expect any Seattle area bids to have their arena projects approved before next year but is looking for signs of completed financing and overall project viability.

Murray is on record saying the city will look to scuttle the Memorandum of Understanding between the parties if no hockey deal is reached and the city loses a shot at an NHL franchise.

Last edited:

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
Couple of very interesting quotes from that article.

"Murray is on record saying the city will look to scuttle the Memorandum of Understanding between the parties if no hockey deal is reached and the city loses a shot at an NHL franchise. "

That is completely BS and not what Murray exactly said. Here's the exactly quote that Murray told Gbaker

"If the current parties that want the arena in SoDo…(can’t) make that happen, then I will begin to look at other arrangements.’’

That does not mean he'll seek a new arena in a new location. He'll look at alternates to fund that NHL first idea. Gbaker is so anti-sodo arena he'll make stuff up and intentionally spin things to continue to be anti-sodo. Pour journalism from a dying paper.

bigbuffalo313

Apr 28, 2012
New York
If the team is in Tukwila, will it be called Tukwila, Seattle, or Washington? I assume not Washington to avoid confusion with the Caps

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
If the team is in Tukwila, will it be called Tukwila, Seattle, or Washington? I assume not Washington to avoid confusion with the Caps

Its going to be Seattle ______ no matter which cities hosts the arena.

I would think the consensus among most Seattle fans would be to have the team playing in SoDo and not Tukwila, correct?

Yes that is the preferred option. However, given there is no NHL first funding yet or no NBA team yet, there is chances team goes to tukwila. However, A tukwila arena being built will not stop from Sodo arena being built unless Tukwila arena also gets the NBA team.

There could be a situation where both arena happens and it is possible that NHL team will move away from tukwila arena and go to Sodo arena due to bleeding money. Sodo arena will attract more events than Tukwila will if both are built.

Fugu

RIP Barb
Nov 26, 2004
϶(°o°)ϵ

And......
Seattle could be the second expansion team if Bartoszek or Hansen can prove he has adequate financing and can get his arena project approved by early next year. A third group, looking at a Bellevue arena, has yet to declare itself publicly but continues to explore the viability of a project for that city.

brewski420

Sep 29, 2009
Ohio
Its going to be Seattle ______ no matter which cities hosts the arena.

Yes that is the preferred option. However, given there is no NHL first funding yet or no NBA team yet, there is chances team goes to tukwila. However, A tukwila arena being built will not stop from Sodo arena being built unless Tukwila arena also gets the NBA team.

There could be a situation where both arena happens and it is possible that NHL team will move away from tukwila arena and go to Sodo arena due to bleeding money. Sodo arena will attract more events than Tukwila will if both are built.

I do not see anyway two arenas will exist that close together. Two arenas will not ever happen IMO.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
And......

If you want my thoughts on Bellevue arena, they aren't getting the team as we even know the land has not been secured or have options, a SEPA review has not been started (its public information so we would know if they did start that) and which group is gonna pay for arena and which group will pay for the team.

brewski420

Sep 29, 2009
Ohio
"Murray is on record saying the city will look to scuttle the Memorandum of Understanding between the parties if no hockey deal is reached and the city loses a shot at an NHL franchise. "

That is completely BS and not what Murray exactly said. Here's the exactly quote that Murray told Gbaker

"If the current parties that want the arena in SoDo…(can’t) make that happen, then I will begin to look at other arrangements.’’

That does not mean he'll seek a new arena in a new location. He'll look at alternates to fund that NHL first idea. Gbaker is so anti-sodo arena he'll make stuff up and intentionally spin things to continue to be anti-sodo. Pour journalism from a dying paper.

If Tukwila gets built than I definitely see the MOU getting scuttled.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
I do not see anyway two arenas will exist that close together. Two arenas will not ever happen IMO.

City may decide to not provide any but that doesn't mean sodo arena is dead.

As long as Hansen gets his street vacation and MUP, there is nothing stopping him from funding the arena and building it himself with out any public dollar.

If Tukwila gets built than I definitely see the MOU getting scuttled.

Murray and SCC will have to be very very stupid to throw away that kind of revenue to another city. Murray, hansen and SCC can still make Tukwila arena bleed money by moving forward and get that NBA team.

If both are built, Tukwila arena will lose long term.

Fugu

RIP Barb
Nov 26, 2004
϶(°o°)ϵ
If you want my thoughts on Bellevue arena, they aren't getting the team as we even know the land has not been secured or have options, a SEPA review has not been started (its public information so we would know if they did start that) and which group is gonna pay for arena and which group will pay for the team.

If we have no idea who's behind this, then we can't gauge their level of readiness and financing depth. This sounds like another privately funded option, that would need the city's cooperation for land zoning and some connections and bridges-- which the city indicated it would be willing to consider.

If it's a heavy, heavy hitter -- and there are a few in Seattle -- then I can see this flying.

Thinking about it further, I kind of like Bellevue for the NHL, mainly because it gets the team away from the big guys like the Seahawks and Mariners, a chance to cultivate a slightly different corporate base and presence, plus it would be closer to the best demographic for the NHL. The NBA is better served by a Seattle-Tacoma reach. The NHL better for the Seattle-Bellevue-Redmond-Everett reach.

brewski420

Sep 29, 2009
Ohio
City may decide to not provide any but that doesn't mean sodo arena is dead.

As long as Hansen gets his street vacation and MUP, there is nothing stopping him from funding the arena and building it himself with out any public dollar.

Why not do that now than and get an NHL team first? That would pretty much guarantee an NBA team eventually.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
Why not do that now than and get an NHL team first? That would pretty much guarantee an NBA team eventually.

There lies the issue, Sodo arena lacks a NHL first plan and so far we don't even know where things are at in that discussion.

So far publicly Coleman has yet to come out and say what he plans to do to get NHL first done and to get that team.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
If we have no idea who's behind this, then we can't gauge their level of readiness and financing depth. This sounds like another privately funded option, that would need the city's cooperation for land zoning and some connections and bridges-- which the city indicated it would be willing to consider.

If it's a heavy, heavy hitter -- and there are a few in Seattle -- then I can see this flying.

We have a name Jac Sperling. And the suppose location is off it I-405 near 116th street. That's all we know.

Fugu

RIP Barb
Nov 26, 2004
϶(°o°)ϵ
We have a name Jac Sperling. And the suppose location is off it I-405 near 116th street. That's all we know.

I know the location that was brought up. Whether this is the same guy or not-- we don't know. The earlier reports said a couple different people were sniffing around.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
I know the location that was brought up. Whether this is the same guy or not-- we don't know. The earlier reports said a couple different people were sniffing around.

Could been Ray B at some point before deciding to go to Tukwila.

Regardless Bellevue is very very way behind. I'll be surprised to see all 3 make a bid. I only see it being Ray B at Tukwila and The Sodo group.

Its been reported that Murray has talked coleman rep's recently and the Nordstorm brother's (two fols of the sodo group) have talked to murray. Perhaps Nordstorms may fund the NHL first idea?

MuzikMachine

Nov 14, 2005

Is that in Bellevue or Kirkland? It seems I-405 & NE 116th St seems quite a bit out of the way. I always assumed it would be closer to downtown Bellevue.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
Is that in Bellevue or Kirkland? It seems I-405 & NE 116th St seems quite a bit out of the way. I always assumed it would be closer to downtown Bellevue.

Its in bellevue. I don't know what exit street it is off land but its very cose to 405 in bellevue.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad