Seattle VII: SoDon't? To Kwila or not To Kwila (RayB to apply for expansion)

Status
Not open for further replies.

kdb209

Jan 26, 2005
Then Seattle is out if Aug 10th all hurdles are not cleared. Is that what you are getting at? An application can be submitted with timelines for approval but that would be ridiculous. If the NHL wants Seattle they will work with them IMO.

Note that neither Columbus or Minnesota had their arena plans and funding complete when they presented their bids in Jan '97.

The Nationwide funding of the arena wasn't announced until May '97. State funding for the Xcel Energy Center wasn't approved until April '98.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
Note that neither Columbus or Minnesota had their arena plans and funding complete when they presented their bids in Jan '97.

The Nationwide funding of the arena wasn't announced until May '97. State funding for the Xcel Energy Center wasn't approved until April '98.

Are they gonna do that again for Seattle?

kdb209

Jan 26, 2005
Are they gonna do that again for Seattle?

My guess is that they would probably require at least a conditional NHL-first MOU approved between Hansen and the city (ie a MOU conditioned on an NHL franchise being awarded by a certain date) when bids are submitted.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
My guess is that they would probably require at least a conditional NHL-first MOU approved between Hansen and the city (ie a MOU conditioned on an NHL franchise being awarded by a certain date) when bids are submitted.

They do not need to work with Sodo arena. They have Ray B and Tukwila arena that's 100% private.

kdb209

Jan 26, 2005
They do not need to work with Sodo arena. They have Ray B and Tukwila arena that's 100% private.

When you said Seattle, I assumed you meant SoDo. For Tukwila, they would likely need development agreements between RB and the city and a detailed schedule/plan for arena development with the bid, more complete financing and construction updates before any final announcement, and contingency plans for delays (with RB assuming the risks).

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
When you said Seattle, I assumed you meant SoDo. For Tukwila, they would likely need development agreements between RB and the city and a detailed schedule/plan for arena development with the bid, more complete financing and construction updates before any final announcement, and contingency plans for delays (with RB assuming the risks).

seattle market or greater seattle area.

Tukwila arena is 100% private. RB and his arena group is taking all risks on the arena.

Major4Boarding

Unfamiliar Moderator
Jan 30, 2009
South of Heaven

Neither did the Lightning

Major4Boarding

Unfamiliar Moderator
Jan 30, 2009
South of Heaven
Here's the last (most recent) quote regarding Seattle

“From a distance, it won’t warrant — if it does at all — serious consideration until there’s a realistic expectation that there’s going to be an arena there,’’ Bettman said. “You’ve got your approvals, you’ve got your financing — you’re ready to go. You’re basically saying, ‘Listen, if we get a team, we’re committed to and are ready to break ground, because this building can be a reality.’ ’’

http://www.seattletimes.com/sports/...ce-before-nhl-considers-expansion-to-seattle/

Also, the familiar refrain from Bettman (Or as I call it, the 3 Keys to getting a franchise)

* Market
* Ownership
* Arena

Let's take a step back. With respect to the success and viability of any franchise, there are three critical components. One is the market, and we'll use Vancouver as an example. Great market. Great hockey town. Great sports town. Two is having a first class facility and Rogers Center is wonderful. Three is ownership and I think this franchise is fortunate here to have the commitment of a family like the Aquilinis. They have the commitment to the community, the resources, the passion.

So now, if you want to apply that to Seattle, they've got a few people who are interested in owning a franchise. We've got a market that I think we all think would be a terrific hockey town, particularly creating a Pacific Northwest rivalry. But there's no building (he said with a frustrated laugh) and there's very little certainty about a building at this point.

http://www.sonicsrising.com/2015/2/...-interest-in-building-an-nhl-arena-in-seattle

Bettman often has said that when the NHL looks at a potential market, it looks for three things: One, is it a market that supports hockey? Two, is there a solid ownership group in place to run the potential franchise? Three, is there a building suitable for games?

http://www.reviewjournal.com/sports/hockey/nhl-s-bettman-las-vegas-i-have-no-promises-make-today

“You don’t expand just for symmetry,” Bettman insisted between periods of the Calgary Flames-Minnesota Wild game. “The three things you look at when you expand are — market, arena, and, most importantly, ownership.

http://www.calgarysun.com/2014/03/04/nhl-commish-talks-expansion

I can keep going. Of all the quotes above, and elsewhere, Market has always been the first thing mentioned. And depending on the circumstance at the time of the quote flip flop Ownership and Arena

brewski420

Sep 29, 2009
Ohio
Here's the last (most recent) quote regarding Seattle

http://www.seattletimes.com/sports/...ce-before-nhl-considers-expansion-to-seattle/

Also, the familiar refrain from Bettman (Or as I call it, the 3 Keys to getting a franchise)

* Market
* Ownership
* Arena

http://www.sonicsrising.com/2015/2/...-interest-in-building-an-nhl-arena-in-seattle

http://www.reviewjournal.com/sports/hockey/nhl-s-bettman-las-vegas-i-have-no-promises-make-today

http://www.calgarysun.com/2014/03/04/nhl-commish-talks-expansion

I can keep going. Of all the quotes above, and elsewhere, Market has always been the first thing mentioned. And depending on the circumstance at the time of the quote flip flop Ownership and Arena

If you take all that at face value (hard to do that with the NHL) than QC should be the first, second and third choice. Every other city has questions about at least one of those three points he hits upon. Seattle conceivably/arguably does not hit any of them strongly. But it seems we still are in it.

WeTheNords

Jun 14, 2015
If you take all that at face value (hard to do that with the NHL) than QC should be the first, second and third choice. Every other city has questions about at least one of those three points he hits upon. Seattle conceivably/arguably does not hit any of them strongly. But it seems we still are in it.

Probably, but Bettman did not seem too excited with the arena situation.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012

What in the world does bettman want? We can't get tukwila arena finalized in a few months. As i stated its legally impossible.

If he can't be patient and let Ray B get the arena finalized then i want nothing to do with this league and i'll consider stop being a NHL fan where i will no longer watch another NHL game.

brewski420

Sep 29, 2009
Ohio

That was a story from April so it's not like he said it today. They decided on this process to start now and I am sure conversations have taken place with all the interested cities that they have already had conversations with (Seattle included) what the plan is. I am confident that Seattle is on their radar. I view this as positive for Seattle!!

WeTheNords

Jun 14, 2015
That was a story from April so it's not like he said it today. They decided on this process to start now and I am sure conversations have taken place with all the interested cities that they have already had conversations with (Seattle included) what the plan is. I am confident that Seattle is on their radar. I view this as positive for Seattle!!

He said it today to Chris Johnson of sportsnet. Check his twitter feed

WeTheNords

Jun 14, 2015
Chris Johnston ‏@reporterchris 5 hil y a 5 heures Voir la traduction
Gary Bettman: "Nobody has their arena act together yet in Seattle."

brewski420

Sep 29, 2009
Ohio
What in the world does bettman want? We can't get tukwila arena finalized in a few months. As i stated its legally impossible.

If he can't be patient and let Ray B get the arena finalized then i want nothing to do with this league and i'll consider stop being a NHL fan where i will no longer watch another NHL game.

This is a positive in my eyes GSTL as it will bring everything to **** or get off the *** time for Seattle. Let's get this thing going or just move on!!!

WeTheNords

Jun 14, 2015
My bet is Bettman wants Seattle arena sorted so it can receive a relocated team at some point

brewski420

Sep 29, 2009
Ohio
Chris Johnston ‏@reporterchris 5 hil y a 5 heures Voir la traduction
Gary Bettman: "Nobody has their arena act together yet in Seattle."

Why so threatened by Seattle? If that's what he said you should be celebrating in the QC thread.

p.s. Of course he said *yet* which leaves a door open.

Last edited:

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
This is a positive in my eyes GSTL as it will bring everything to **** or get off the *** time for Seattle. Let's get this thing going or just move on!!!

How can tukwila arena get finalized in a few months with out violating SEPA laws.

Major4Boarding

Unfamiliar Moderator
Jan 30, 2009
South of Heaven
Remember, this is just the "interested parties, please step forward" phase. Also, as mentioned upthread, the Lightning, Wild, and Blue Jackets (there's other examples too) submitted their applications prior to a bona fide Arena plan was finalized.

There's no race, per se, to get either the City of Seattle or Tukwila to break from the process (because they can't) and approve an Arena by August.

This is a mid-to-high level overview for the League to situate Ownership Groups, Markets, and a review of said markets existing Arena infrastructure or plans. I mean, there's obviously a plan beit Seattle or Tukwila, even Bellevue to a certain extent. But the process to get to that is exactly that, a process. When the League reviews Seattle's bids, I'm quite comfortable in saying that as long as Market and Ownerships pass Phases One and Two that as long as they see momentum on the third they'll take that heavily into consideration.

Bettman's tone in his quote above is his best "I'm lighting a fire under your rear ends". No one finds it coincidental at all that after Bettman's visit there that serious gears started grinding on the momentum?

The 3-headed monster of the NHL (Bettman, Daly, and Zimmerman) don't disguise a 3 1/2 hr flight as "being in the neighborhood" just because they were "in the neighborhood" ;)

I've said it before and will say it again... if Jac Sperling is involved, its being taken very seriously by the League. Can't stress that enough.

Last edited:

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
Remember, this is just the "interested parties, please step forward" phase. Also, as mentioned upthread, the Lightning, Wild, and Blue Jackets (there's other examples too) submitted their applications prior to a bona fide Arena plan was finalized.

There's no race, per se, to get either the City of Seattle or Tukwila to break from the process (because they can't) and approve an Arena by August.

This is a mid-to-high level overview for the League to situate Ownership Groups, Markets, and a review of said markets existing Arena infrastructure or plans. I mean, there's obviously a plan beit Seattle or Tukwila, even Bellevue to a certain extent. But the process to get to that is exactly that, a process. When the League reviews Seattle's bids, I'm quite comfortable in saying that as long as Market and Ownerships pass Phases One and Two that as long as they see momentum on the third they'll take that heavily into consideration.

Bettman's tone in his quote above is his best "I'm lighting a fire under your rear ends". No one finds it coincidental at all that after Bettman's visit there that serious gears started grinding on the momentum?

The 3-headed monster of the NHL (Bettman, Daly, and Zimmerman) don't disguise a 3 1/2 hr flight as "being in the neighborhood" just because they were "in the neighborhood" ;)

I'll say it before and will say it again... if Jac Sperling is involved, its being taken very seriously by the League. Can't stress that enough.

We have heard nothing of plans By Jac Sperling in Bellevue.

brewski420

Sep 29, 2009
Ohio

I'll say it before and will say it again... if Jac Sperling is involved, its being taken very seriously by the League. Can't stress that enough.

Agree with all this. That they are starting a process, let's see who's interested phase, is extremely positive to me. Tukwila has time and maybe Hansen gets a message as well. This is the first step, albeit a important one, in a process where Seattle is very much in the game IMHO.

I am feeling positive about it for first time in a while.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad