Pre-Game Talk: Seattle @ Vancouver, 7PM PST, SN1, NHL Network

wonton15

Höglander
Dec 13, 2009
Can’t even blame the refs when it’s us doing this to ourselves. Laughable though

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
Is a proponent of good hockey

Is also a huge fan of Roussel's hockey abilities in 2021

These are mutually exclusive sentiments, GN

The coyotes are gonna be a force this year with Roussel and Beagle. Those guys are huge contributors, or at least that’s what I’ve been told

Get North

Aug 25, 2013
B.C.
Is a proponent of good hockey

Is also a huge fan of Roussel's hockey abilities in 2021

These are mutually exclusive sentiments, GN
I'm not here to make anybody feel bad. Roussel is a fine 4th liner like other 32 x 3 players. I'm just trying to make everyone realize it's a bunch of gen Z skating out there like yourself

canuckking1

Feb 8, 2015
Is Myers even a bottom pairing guy? He just drags his partner and the team down. Can't even play low-event hockey.

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
Can't wait to watch playoff hockey when no cross-checks are called after every ticky-tacky one is called during the season.

Teams and fans will be super happy with it.
Pre-season: “2 minutes for breathing on someone”

Regular season: “2 minutes for an aggressive cross check”

Playoffs: “okay boys, everyone gets 2-3 freebie cross checks per sequence but we might call the 4th one”

wonton15

Höglander
Dec 13, 2009
If Pod keeps this up for the last 2 games, he deserves a spot. Such a unique skillset

Dickinson was also very gritty tonight

Schenn has done nothing all preseason to show he deserves a spot. Burroughs looks like a gem though

Reactions: Ginger Papa

Get North

Aug 25, 2013
B.C.
Cut Dries, Lockwood, Focht, Petan. I don't really care who sticks out on the RD. You can cut any of Burroughs Bowey or Schenn.

I bet Rathbone goes too he didn't help his chances tonight.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Lost the game but this was actually the first solid team performance of the preseason. Too many PPs interrupted the flow and meant a lot of the fringe guys didn't get much icetime. Except Dowling, who must have played 20 minutes.

- best thing by far was the performance of Podkolzin. Night and day difference in his performance. Looked more focused, direct, like he wanted the puck and was involved and effective. Still a few puck management issues but overall a huge positive. Probably turned his chances of making the team tonight.

- Horvat line was good again. Horvat had a ton of shots especially on the PP but Grubauer had his number. Think it's probably safe to say that will be a set line to start the season.

- Dickinson was oddly physical and involved which isn't really his game. Most low-event player ever. Does all the right things away from the puck but man is there no offense there.

- Di Giuseppe probably has made the team as a PK guy. Had some energy but I don't know how effective he actually was. But I'm pretty sure Green will love the optics of his performance.

- Lockwood is polarizing. I can see where people love his effort and physicality. But to me he just accomplishes nothing. And gets smashed more often than he hits guys.

- Dries and Focht can just go away. Neither should have been playing.

- MacEwen and Highmore both had moments but neither really distinguished themselves again. Both will be in tough to make the team, and could be the losers of Podkolzin's improved performance.

- Dowling played way too much but actually not terribly. I think he's a better player than Di Guiseppe but doesn't do the Ryan Johnson thing of appearing to try really hard quite as well as Di Giuseppe.

- Myers-OEL held up pretty well, although Myers had a few poor moments and dumb penalties. Still this was Myers' best game after some pretty dire efforts earlier.

- Rathbone was maybe a bit better? But I don't think he really helped his chances. And playing with a pylon in Schenn doesn't help. If Schenn was some journeyman on a two-way, nobody would think he should be anywhere near this roster.

- I like Burroughs and would be happy to see him stick, especially over Schenn. I like his skating, like his smarts. Juolevi was ... OK. Sometimes he makes a really advanced high IQ defensive play or a really pretty outlet pass, sometimes his skating just looks unplayable.

- Demko was outperformed by Grubauer. 4th goal in particular he didn't track the rebound very well.

You can see some guys setting up to have Vegas-style breakouts for Seattle. Geekie especially is very impressive but also McCann and Dunn, amongst others. Schwartz looks pretty done, though. Not sure that signing will end up looking great.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Cut Dries, Lockwood, Focht, Petan. I don't really care who sticks out on the RD. You can cut any of Burroughs Bowey or Schenn.

I bet Rathbone goes too he didn't help his chances tonight.
Schenn/Rathbone pairing struggled a bit...Particuarly Schenn.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad