Pre-Game Talk: Seattle @ Vancouver, 7PM PST, SN1, NHL Network

strattonius

Jul 4, 2011
Surrey, BC
Never thought I'd say it after the first few days of training camp but I now see the benefit of having Juolevi dressed over Rathbone on that left side. Not that I think Juolevi is a better defenseman but his skillset is more in line with what we need this year - and honestly he hasn't looked bad at all the last couple of games. Rathbone on the other hand makes a ton of mistakes. Makes me laugh at the comments about how Hughes could be expendable because of Rathbone's emergence - a classic pump the brakes.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
Wow. Vancouver not getting destroyed in possession for once.

rather see games like this where they control the play 5v5 well lead to more sustained success.
Part of that might be the way Seattle plays & the fact they had the lead in the game kind of early in the 2nd period to the end of the game. But yeah, the score didn't reflect the way Vancouver played.

Hoglander

I'm Höglander. I can do whatever I want.
Jan 4, 2019
Midtown, New York
Part of that might be the way Seattle plays & the fact they had the lead in the game kind of early in the 2nd period to the end of the game. But yeah, the score didn't reflect the way Vancouver played.
The nice part is that our B squad did it to their opening lineup. We were missing our 5 best players. If the depth can keep their head above water this year, the team might actually be alright. But without Hamonic...

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
The final preseason games are important, while teams are starting to ice competitive rosters to iron out lines, we are still icing half an AHL roster. It’s pure incompetence
EP and QH were not signed, Boeser, Sutter and Motte are injured, Hamonic is absent..You have to create a roster to play these games, it has nothing to do with incompetence.

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
The nice part is that our B squad did it to their opening lineup. We were missing our 5 best players. If the depth can keep their head above water this year, the team might actually be alright. But without Hamonic...

exactly this
Vancouver’s bottom 6 usually gets decimated 5v5
Vancouver was dead last in shot attempts per game and it happened a lot with the bottom 6
If they can start to break even Vancouver can start to look decent

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Never thought I'd say it after the first few days of training camp but I now see the benefit of having Juolevi dressed over Rathbone on that left side. Not that I think Juolevi is a better defenseman but his skillset is more in line with what we need this year - and honestly he hasn't looked bad at all the last couple of games. Rathbone on the other hand makes a ton of mistakes. Makes me laugh at the comments about how Hughes could be expendable because of Rathbone's emergence - a classic pump the brakes.
Except for a gaffe at the end, I thought Juolevi had a solid game...Unspectacular, low event , unnoticeable..but was doing the grunt work on the PK (and there were a lot of penalties against)...Also, no issues with pivoting or gap control in this game.

Ideally, I'd like to see both Rathbone and Juolevi make the squad...as the 6/7 d men.

Reactions: Zippgunn

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC

For sure.

We did play pretty well overall. But also Seattle dominated the start of the 2nd and took a multi-goal lead, and score effects probably came into play a bit after that. Seattle probably had an overall edge in play up to the point where they went up 2-0.

Hyzer

Jimbo is fired - the good guys won
Aug 10, 2012
Vancouver
Went to the game (free tickets, paid 0 dollars to watch this shit show).

Our defense has to be bottom 5 in the league. I wish that was an exaggeration, but I don't think it is. We are so bad defensively it is actually hilarious.

OEL seems to be fine for my viewing. But hes getting paid north of 7m, he should be more than fine.

Rathbone made a ton of mistakes, Juolevi isn't really an NHL defender, Myers was awful defensively as per usual, and Poolman/Hughes really wont push our defense to by any more competent for actually defending.

All I can say is YIKES

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Travis Green hockey baby
lol...Missing our top 5 offensive players (Pettersson, Boeser, Miller, Garland, Hughes), ...arguably our 2 best defensive players (Poolman, Hamonic)...Our 2 best PK'ers (Sutter, Motte)....

but Travis Green.
200w.gif

Reactions: DL44

Grantham

Mar 28, 2017
Suffered through this ugly game. Man the reffing is going to be an epic level of bad this year. The crosschecking rule, while I like it in principle, is gonna create a whole new generation of divers.

Some advanced stats that I thought were notable for this game:-
Corsi for %. Lockwood 85% (18 for, 3 against). Di Giuseppe 74%. Myers 75%. OEL 71%. Rathbone 64 %.

Podkolzin:- 7 scoring chances for, 3 against.

Objectively I liked:
Podkolzin:- really thought he played physical and with great drives to the net. The one chance he basically deked Dru out of his jockstrap but just failed to tuck it in an empty cage.
Di Giuseppe: Wow, kid had got some potential. Had made the team if he can keep it up. Very good spacing and vision.
Rathbone:- Much better defensively already than Hughes. No real glaring mistakes this game and some really nice crisp passing.
OEL:- Nice and steady. Like a prime Edler. Hope he can keep it up as well.

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
Suffered through this ugly game. Man the reffing is going to be an epic level of bad this year. The crosschecking rule, while I like it in principle, is gonna create a whole new generation of divers.

Some advanced stats that I thought were notable for this game:-
Corsi for %. Lockwood 85% (18 for, 3 against). Di Giuseppe 74%. Myers 75%. OEL 71%. Rathbone 64 %.

Podkolzin:- 7 scoring chances for, 3 against.

Objectively I liked:
Podkolzin:- really thought he played physical and with great drives to the net. The one chance he basically deked Dru out of his jockstrap but just failed to tuck it in an empty cage.
Di Giuseppe: Wow, kid had got some potential. Had made the team if he can keep it up. Very good spacing and vision.
Rathbone:- Much better defensively already than Hughes. No real glaring mistakes this game and some really nice crisp passing.
OEL:- Nice and steady. Like a prime Edler. Hope he can keep it up as well.
The cross checking thing will be cracked down during the first couple of months of the season and then eventually down the stretch it’ll go back to normal and playoffs will be open season with random calls made

it was the same with slashing in the past

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad