Pre-Game Talk: Seattle @ Vancouver, 7PM PST, SN1, NHL Network

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
Never thought I'd say it after the first few days of training camp but I now see the benefit of having Juolevi dressed over Rathbone on that left side. Not that I think Juolevi is a better defenseman but his skillset is more in line with what we need this year - and honestly he hasn't looked bad at all the last couple of games. Rathbone on the other hand makes a ton of mistakes. Makes me laugh at the comments about how Hughes could be expendable because of Rathbone's emergence - a classic pump the brakes.

Dont you love how apologetic you are just typing that opinion OJ/JR here?

But yeah.. I agree. Safer choice, that comes with a downgrade in mobility.

geebster

Sponsor
Oct 26, 2019
Never thought I'd say it after the first few days of training camp but I now see the benefit of having Juolevi dressed over Rathbone on that left side. Not that I think Juolevi is a better defenseman but his skillset is more in line with what we need this year - and honestly he hasn't looked bad at all the last couple of games. Rathbone on the other hand makes a ton of mistakes. Makes me laugh at the comments about how Hughes could be expendable because of Rathbone's emergence - a classic pump the brakes.

Completely agree. I think the best option is for them to alternate games. We dont have left sided D that can reliably penalty kill. Its OEL then nobody and you cant have him out there for full PKs and it's not ideal to have someone on their off side every PK either. Juolevi can do it better than Rathbone can, and from a third pairing you care more about that then about offense. That said if we are playing a team that plays kind of open then throw Rathbone out there and he can do his thing.

I'd you have to choose one of course Rathbone is better, but for the ROLE of a third pairing D on a team lacking defensive players, Juolevi makes far fewer mistakes and plays safer.

Windy River

Jan 31, 2013
lol...Missing our top 5 offensive players (Pettersson, Boeser, Miller, Garland, Hughes), ...arguably our 2 best defensive players (Poolman, Hamonic)...Our 2 best PK'ers (Sutter, Motte)....

but Travis Green.
View attachment 468535
In no way can you list Canucks Top 5 offensive players without including Bo Horvat. Pure silliness.

^ Horvat’s finish amongst team scoring, chronologically each of last 6 years following his rookie year (had slightly sluggish start, he was ~7th or 8th on the Canucks his rookie year).

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad