Seattle V: Make It So(Do)...

Status
Not open for further replies.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
Baker is on KJR and basically said our Bartoszek can not afford to take on NHL first/NHL only for sodo arena and he thinks the sodo arena will not happen. He is not interested in Bellevue only Seattle and he is going to look at other options.

Baker suggests Bartoszek could do a NHL only venue possible redo Key arena to make it NHL ready.

Pretty much this is all on hansen for lack of progress.

Last edited:

Zorbane

Oct 23, 2006
Vancouver
Well Hansen is only interested in getting an NBA team, I don't blame him. It's "safer" and he's an NBA fan. For him an NHL team was simply there to help pay the bills. Imagine if it was a rich Canadian trying to get an NHL team in Saskatoon. Disappointing but understandable IMO.

Only hope (as others have pointed out) is for a bunch of rich hockey fans to take over.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
Well Hansen is only interested in getting an NBA team, I don't blame him. It's "safer" and he's an NBA fan. For him an NHL team was simply there to help pay the bills. Imagine if it was a rich Canadian trying to get an NHL team in Saskatoon. Disappointing but understandable IMO.

Only hope (as others have pointed out) is for a bunch of rich hockey fans to take over.

As we know now its not Bartoszek.

Mightygoose

Nov 5, 2012
Ajax, ON
The full article from Baker re expansion on hold.

http://seattletimes.com/html/hockey/2023453701_nhlinseattle25xml.html

There's a small blurb from Silver on NBA Expansion

In a separate meeting at his league office later in the day, NBA commissioner Adam Silver said he’s intrigued by Ballmer’s resources and his background in technology. But Silver added he has no plans to expand anyplace for at least two or three years.

That can still work in the current MOU couldn't it? It's a tad snug but all may not be lost.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
The full article from Baker re expansion on hold.

http://seattletimes.com/html/hockey/2023453701_nhlinseattle25xml.html

There's a small blurb from Silver on NBA Expansion

That can still work in the current MOU couldn't it? It's a tad snug but all may not be lost.

Well as long as we get a team by October of 2017 we are okay after that we don't know what's going to happen. If it'll be extended or hansen will just walk away and we start over from scratch with nothing. And it could be a very very very long time before anyone if any comes up with an arena plan.

GuelphStormer

Mar 20, 2012
Guelph, ON
Well as long as we get a team by October of 2017 we are okay after that we don't know what's going to happen. If it'll be extended or hansen will just walk away and we start over from scratch with nothing. And it could be a very very very long time before anyone if any comes up with an arena plan.
are the numbers in the existing MOU essentially based on hansen's understanding that he would be paying around $500M or $600M for an NBA team (ie., the Kings) rather than the billion dollars that Cuban is blathering on about? i can imagine the MOU needing to be drastically rewritten between now and 2017 simply because costs will have changed for everyone by then, even the cost of the arena will likely have skyrocketed by then too. in other words, won't the existing MOU be out-of-date, and therefore irrelevant, by then?

Fugu

RIP Barb
Nov 26, 2004
϶(°o°)ϵ
are the numbers in the existing MOU essentially based on hansen's understanding that he would be paying around $500M or $600M for an NBA team (ie., the Kings) rather than the billion dollars that Cuban is blathering on about? i can imagine the MOU needing to be drastically rewritten between now and 2017 simply because costs will have changed for everyone by then, even the cost of the arena will likely have skyrocketed by then too. in other words, won't the existing MOU be out-of-date, and therefore irrelevant, by then?

Cuban and the NBA are all probably looking at Ballmer's net worth rating and seeing it as a great way for all their franchise values to double if they get a billion for a Seattle NBA franchise. Ballmer, however, is no dummy. Reading that Hansen already donated that land to some local groups doesn't look promising at all, as far as the Hansen led initiative.

Mr. Ballmer's net worth was $15.2 billion as of March, according to Forbes. Microsoft's latest proxy showed Mr. Ballmer owned about 333 million shares of the company, making them worth about $10.8 billion based on yesterday's closing price.

http://blogs.wsj.com/moneybeat/2013/08/23/microsoft-ceo-steve-ballmers-1-billion-retirement-present/

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Just DO NOT and NEVER understand HOW ON HEART is someone loving more NBA than NHL!? HOW? TELL ME HOW? IT'S MADNESS!!

People have different tastes in sports. It's not too shocking. I prefer baseball over football, for instance. Most will disagree with me on personal tastes regarding that.

Is a shame, though, that Seattle's NHL chances are likely invariably tied to the NBA's dwindling chances of returning.

brewski420

Sep 29, 2009
Ohio

The MOU deals only with the construction costs of the arena. The cost of getting the team is all up to Hansen/Ballmer. I don't think the costs of building will skyrocket in a few years and I would think this is the least of Hansen's worries. He first needs to acquire a team. If he gets that the building will be built.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
http://www.yakimaherald.com/sports/2128273-8/nhl-commissioner-says-seattle-must-do-more-to

Bettman: Seattle must do more to land NHL franchise

Speaking to a small, closed-door session held annually at league headquarters in New York with various sports editors and reporters, Bettman said the Sodo arena proposal put forth by Chris Hansen and Steve Ballmer needs to get much further along before the league considers any expansion. The political process in securing an arena has been allowed to stall, because Hansen and Ballmer have failed to land an NBA franchise and have little interest continuing their efforts without one.

“Until there is some better certainty about a building and its availability to an NHL team,†Bettman said, “there’s really not a whole lot of point in even going further in the thought process.â€

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
^^^ Well thats certainly succinct. Thanks for finding that & posting it here LS.... makes sense. Some rationale, possibilities including a complete reno of Key Arena. Be very interested to see some plans & cost projections on that one.

Mightygoose

Nov 5, 2012
Ajax, ON
I think a renovated Key to accommoate the NHL can be a good alternative for sure. Though it really brings it back to square one. Questions of funding it publicaly (or another arena) alone will be quite the challenge as long as the SoDo plans breathes life.

Also, if no potential NHL owner can work with SoDo and the NBA does return does that make the NHL's arrival even a greater uphill climb?

PCSPounder

Stadium Groupie
Apr 12, 2012
The Outskirts of Nutria Nanny

Am I fantastically nitpicky to think "before the league considers any expansion" means "any expansion anywhere"?

Am I also fantastically nitpicky to think "it's availability to an NHL team" means the league wants more concessions than Hansen has offered?

I think the second phrase seems more inserted for a reason than the first, though I feel a nag in the subconscious about the first.

GuelphStormer

Mar 20, 2012
Guelph, ON
The MOU deals only with the construction costs of the arena. The cost of getting the team is all up to Hansen/Ballmer. I don't think the costs of building will skyrocket in a few years and I would think this is the least of Hansen's worries. He first needs to acquire a team. If he gets that the building will be built.
thanks, yes I understand that the MOU is about the arena, but if hansen is required to pay considerably more to buy a team than he might have initially thought, then it's reasonable to think he would have less money to chip in on the arena. indeed, if he has to pay the billion dollars that cuban is hyping, or even just meet him halfway, then he may likely want to reduce his arena contribution. i disagree that construction costs would not rise significantly over the next 3 years, that's not at all uncommon, especially when construction becomes 'required', rather than just 'wanted' now.

as much as folks here are want to say, "what's a few hundred million dollars to a billionaire?" ... it's still a few hundred million dollars. obviously, if money was not a concern, the arena would have already been built entirely with private money and you'd be cheering for your nba and nhl teams right now.

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
Am I fantastically nitpicky to think "before the league considers any expansion" means "any expansion anywhere"?

... I think you are being "nitpicky" PCS. Stretching the limits of sublimation in looking for clues. Yes, an interesting exercise but the bare facts in & of themselves are far more interesting. That Hansen "has the rights to a downtown arena for some time".... thats interesting. If he's out, could monetize those rights along with selling the land of course.... Like the suggestion of renovating Key however, my somewhat uneducated understanding of that is that it would be almost as pricey as a new building. Dunno. But essentially, all Bettmans really dishing is the same old Pablum he always serves up. Nothing revelatory about anything. Some clarity however which is welcome.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
I'm thinking we may close this thread after we get to 1000 if there are no further developments.

Yea go ahead. I assume it would be alright if there is seattle related news in regards to the arena process just to create an individual thread in regards to that specific news?

PCSPounder

Stadium Groupie
Apr 12, 2012
The Outskirts of Nutria Nanny
... I think you are being "nitpicky" PCS. Stretching the limits of sublimation in looking for clues. Yes, an interesting exercise but the bare facts in & of themselves are far more interesting. That Hansen "has the rights to a downtown arena for some time".... thats interesting. If he's out, could monetize those rights along with selling the land of course.... Like the suggestion of renovating Key however, my somewhat uneducated understanding of that is that it would be almost as pricey as a new building. Dunno. But essentially, all Bettmans really dishing is the same old Pablum he always serves up. Nothing revelatory about anything. Some clarity however which is welcome.

And when you live out by the Juan de Fuca Plate, you can have some subduction with that sublimation.

Funny thing is, I got a lot smarter when I realized that many people, maybe even most people, are actually trying to not lie while they obfuscate. Since I'm well in line with the theory that the owners run the show and Bettman is the hammer they wield, though I haven't spent too much time doing this with league commissioners, I thought taking that tack might be educational. You have helped in this regard.

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
And when you live out by the Juan de Fuca Plate, you can have some subduction with that sublimation.

... ya. Theres that. As well as the Oregon Vortex. Avoided by wildlife, Natives Americans.... and of course over the years Circus Sideshow Freaks & Captured Sasquatches having disappeared mysteriously when venturing near.... Here are the coordinates PCS > 42.4931N / 123.0851W <.... Suggest you enter them into your GPS & avoid that area entirely.... come to in 1943 as part of the superstructure aboard the USS Eldridge at the Philadelphia Navy Yards.... Unified Field Theory.... Einstein.... Sublimation... oh, also Mount Shasta, Keep Away..... Sedona region in Az. Superstition Mountain Range....

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
Ya, and Im still pretty sure something will break but it could take awhile, months probably.

The NHL guy is looking at other options but he's limiting himself to the seattle area only. No idea where else can you put an arena. There's thoughs of rebuilding Key arena from ground up but that is going to be expensive and nevermind you'll having to appease the groups that would be against it including the gates foundations who's against any arena project that'll affect the views. So i am wondering if the attempt to built it else where is only trying to get Hansen to budge on his insisting of having to have a NBA team.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad