GDT: Seattle Kraken Free Agent Frenzy Discussion

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
The question was about if there was more they were going to do in free agency and he painted it like today was over and now that the dust has cleared they would take a step back and look at what’s left. That’s my interpretation at least. It definitely sounded nothing like “yeah we’re just relaxing now that all the other shit is over”
Yeah. And he continues to say that they are working the phone lines hard. Gives it a lot better context than what I made out of Allison's tweet.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Soucy >> Dumoulin. With the contracts the teams UFAs signed for elsewhere, I feel that it would have been well worth it to bring both Soucy and one of Sprong/Geekie back.
Players leave for reasons other than salary. Tell me you haven't quit a job because of management or coworkers.

Not sure what happened with Soucy, but Sprong wasn't coming back after getting healthy scratched. He basically told Hakstol to go **** himself. If you think he was going to re-sign, you need your head checked.

Irie

Nov 14, 2010
Pacific Northwest
Players leave for reasons other than salary. Tell me you haven't quit a job because of management or coworkers.

Not sure what happened with Soucy, but Sprong wasn't coming back after getting healthy scratched. He basically told Hakstol to go **** himself. If you think he was going to re-sign, you need your head checked.
Sprong was an RFA, but I agree. Hakstol's treatment of both him and Geekie left them both with one foot out the door. Arbitration probably would have come in higher than Francis wanted to pay on both players, but the truth is Seattle is a pretty solid destination, both players seemed to like their teammates, and feelings can be soothed over with tact and communication. If Francis really was interested in signing either, it may have been possible, and to say otherwise is unsupported speculation.

Reactions: G Backup

RayMartyniukTotems

Jul 8, 2022
Now that I am at the cabin and can finally type on a real keyboard instead of the phone ... I want to give my thoughts in depth.

The Dumoulin signing in a vacuum is fine. He replaces Soucy, and he will be better simply because he was given 1st pair minutes in Pittsburgh as opposed to 2nd or even 3rd pair minutes he gets on the Kraken.

There is a way to go still before the season starts, but I am curious to see what else Francis does. If he truly goes into next season with just a Dumoulin and Soucy swap, we will likely take a step back because we still need to make up for the loss of Donato, Sprong and Geekie's production. Kartye is a good start there but the playoffs were too small of a sample size to know this for sure and if he can play an entire NHL season at a similar level as the playoffs.

The D still would be pretty solid, assuming we re-sign both Borgen and Dunn:

Dunn-Larsson
Schultz-Oleksiak
Dumo-Borgen
Megna/Evans

But the forward core needs more skill:

McCann-Beniers-Eberle
Schwartz-Wennberg-Burakovsky
Tolvanen-Gourde-Bjorkstrand
Tanev-?-Kartye

We will find out in the next few months, or hopefully sooner, but we barely made the playoffs last season, and our good run was aided by Gru getting real hot. I don't know if we catch lightning in a bottle again with this roster.
Wright should fill that last spot. Geekie,Donato had to go...didn't like that Sprong was let go but who knows maybe he'll be back in a years time when he explodes for 30-35 goals playing with better than 4th liners in Detroit...Hayden and Lind make up the 13th and 14th Forward and Evans starts the year in Seattle then gets sent back only to come back stronger and better next season 2024-25 for good

Yes Sprong was scratched but why is it his fault? Sometimes coaches just don't like players especially when they are producing and not getting 3rd line minutes like they should or more PP time

RayMartyniukTotems

Jul 8, 2022
Sprong was an RFA, but I agree. Hakstol's treatment of both him and Geekie left them both with one foot out the door. Arbitration probably would have come in higher than Francis wanted to pay on both players, but the truth is Seattle is a pretty solid destination, both players seemed to like their teammates, and feelings can be soothed over with tact and communication. If Francis really was interested in signing either, it may have been possible, and to say otherwise is unsupported speculation.
I think you're right when you say their Arbitration right's would have given them more dough! I also think the GM recognized the biggest/best fish was Dunn and Francis wanted to have as much "soldi" as possible maybe even protecting himself and the Kraken from an Offer-sheet!!!

Sad People

Jun 4, 2021
Im not really all that worried about losing Donato and Sprong. Losing Geekie does kinda stink though, good PKer,IIRC, and a pretty good bottom 6 player. At best Sprong and Donato are 4th line players who can and should be fairly easily replaced. Sprong had a nice season but wasnt his production pretty much non repeatable with the amount of goals he scored with limited ice time? Like it was an outlier of a year for him. I will miss his goal scoring and willingness to shoot the puck it because it seems like some of our guys lack that aspect to their game but from watching the playoffs it looked like Kartye had that same "skill set" or whatever you wanna call it with not being afraid to shoot the puck from pretty much anywhere.

All 3 of those guys had really nice seasons for us but should be pretty easily replaced with cheap FAs in the coming days and hopefully a couple of our younger prospects.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Im not really all that worried about losing Donato and Sprong. Losing Geekie does kinda stink though, good PKer,IIRC, and a pretty good bottom 6 player. At best Sprong and Donato are 4th line players who can and should be fairly easily replaced. Sprong had a nice season but wasnt his production pretty much non repeatable with the amount of goals he scored with limited ice time? Like it was an outlier of a year for him. I will miss his goal scoring and willingness to shoot the puck it because it seems like some of our guys lack that aspect to their game but from watching the playoffs it looked like Kartye had that same "skill set" or whatever you wanna call it with not being afraid to shoot the puck from pretty much anywhere.

All 3 of those guys had really nice seasons for us but should be pretty easily replaced with cheap FAs in the coming days and hopefully a couple of our younger prospects.
I am the first person to say that Sprong is not a fit on this team but I do not think we can disregard the 21G and 46 points he had last season. Geekie had 28 points, Donato had 27. Who exactly is going to replace the production? Counting on Kartye alone is asinine. Yes, he will chip in and may even be good for 40 points, which I feel is a stretch, but is still not enough. Getting cheap FA's is fine but that is still a high level of production for "4th liners".

Soucy for Doumolin is a wash on D, in my opinion but who exactly steps up to make up the loss of players at F?

Reactions: Irie and sigma six

Sad People

Jun 4, 2021
I am the first person to say that Sprong is not a fit on this team but I do not think we can disregard the 21G and 46 points he had last season. Geekie had 28 points, Donato had 27. Who exactly is going to replace the production? Counting on Kartye alone is asinine. Yes, he will chip in and may even be good for 40 points, which I feel is a stretch, but is still not enough. Getting cheap FA's is fine but that is still a high level of production for "4th liners".

Soucy for Doumolin is a wash on D, in my opinion but who exactly steps up to make up the loss of players at F?
FA isnt over yet. Let people spend their money and go bargain shopping. Bill Guerin has done a pretty dang good job at it the past couple of years in MN and has found some pretty productive players.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
FA isnt over yet. Let people spend their money and go bargain shopping. Bill Guerin has done a pretty dang good job at it the past couple of years in MN and has found some pretty productive players.
Yes, that is my point. I don't think the roster is set yet. I really hope not. Because we do not have the depth at forward we did last year. If someone like Bura (or top-6) gets banged up again, which they very likely will through 82 games, it won't leave many options for callups.

Reactions: Fuhrious

Fuhrious

Feb 3, 2004
FA isn’t over yet, but if you look at the pool of what’s left it’s reeeeeeeeeaaaally getting thin.

That said, I look over the list of signings and anyone I maybe hoped the Kraken would take a swing at got considerably more money or term than I would have liked seeing the team commit. So I don’t know what a good answer would be?

Sad People

Jun 4, 2021
Yes, that is my point. I don't think the roster is set yet. I really hope not. Because we do not have the depth at forward we did last year. If someone like Bura (or top-6) gets banged up again, which they very likely will through 82 games, it won't leave many options for callups.
Weve got deeper rooted issues if losing Daniel Sprong and Ryan Donato make or break our year. Yes losing someone in the top 6 would hurt our team same can be said for just about any other team in the league as well. The Avs werent able to replace Nichushkin when we had is outside issues to deal with during the playoffs why would we be any different?

My point is that while losing Donato, Sprong and their production hurt it doesnt mean their talent level cant be replaced with other people when id assume we go bargain shopping in FA. We arent trying to replace Bjorkstrand or Bura here.

Sad People

Jun 4, 2021
FA isn’t over yet, but if you look at the pool of what’s left it’s reeeeeeeeeaaaally getting thin.

That said, I look over the list of signings and anyone I maybe hoped the Kraken would take a swing at got considerably more money or term than I would have liked seeing the team commit. So I don’t know what a good answer would be?
I believe people can and will be found. Freddy Gaudreau was found in FA and hes turned out to be a pretty dang good 2 way bottom 6 center for the Wild. Sam Steel while he didnt have the production was still a good find for Billy G and i can only assume people would look at those players during FA and think "Dang those players are pretty bad" I fully believe that the Kraken can find people to replace them.

Kartye outperformed all 3 vets we lost in the playoffs in a tougher atmosphere than the regular seaosn. Yes i know young kid, rookie, not large sample size, cant be counted to to repeat but you cant deny what we saw looked very promising.

I get it it hurts losing their production and its easy for me to sit here they can be replaced but theres also a reason why those players have bounced around from team to team their entire career.

Last edited:

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Weve got deeper rooted issues if losing Daniel Sprong and Ryan Donato make or break our year. Yes losing someone in the top 6 would hurt our team same can be said for just about any other team in the league as well. The Avs werent able to replace Nichushkin when we had is outside issues to deal with during the playoffs why would we be any different?

My point is that while losing Donato, Sprong and their production hurt it doesnt mean their talent level cant be replaced with other people when id assume we go bargain shopping in FA. We arent trying to replace Bjorkstrand or Bura here.
Its not a deeper rooted issue. I still think people are just glossing over the production that Sprong, Donato and Geekie had with very limited minutes and roles. You may be able to find players in FA, even cheaper options, but expecting them to just have great years and replacing that production is kind of stretch.

Reactions: Irie

Sad People

Jun 4, 2021
Its not a deeper rooted issue. I still think people are just glossing over the production that Sprong, Donato and Geekie had with very limited minutes and roles. You may be able to find players in FA, even cheaper options, but expecting them to just have great years and replacing that production is kind of stretch.
And the years both those players have had are bascially career years minus Donato who had like 2 more points the year prior. I look at last years production as an exception not the norm.

We both know Sprongs production was not sustainable for years to come. The amount he was scoring with the limited minutes he was getting is not repeatable.

GrungeHockey

Sep 14, 2021

I think I might have said it first but no need to argue about that :)

Frankly I've never understood the Sprong love. I'm not convinced a lot of those goals were just him and wouldn't have been scored by whoever else filled the spot. As you said, he doesn't fit what this team is building.

It is starting to look like the plan might be Wright at 4C but idk, there are still moves that can be made.

Sad People

Jun 4, 2021
With all of this said what are if any some potential trade targets we could look at if we dont go the FA route? I wouldnt be surprised if some players could be cap casualties or easy gets for cheap compensation?

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
And the years both those players have had are bascially career years minus Donato who had like 2 more points the year prior. I look at last years production as an exception not the norm.

We both know Sprongs production was not sustainable for years to come. The amount he was scoring with the limited minutes he was getting is not repeatable.
I think you may be missing what I am saying. Those guys had career years which helped us push for the playoffs and we barely squeaked in. If you realistically expect going bargain bin shopping and replace that production, I feel you may be in for a bad surprise.

What we need is not depth forwards like that but more of a top-6 F, offensive D that can fill that gap.

Sad People

Jun 4, 2021
I think you may be missing what I am saying. Those guys had career years which helped us push for the playoffs and we barely squeaked in. If you realistically expect going bargain bin shopping and replace that production, I feel you may be in for a bad surprise.

What we need is not depth forwards like that but more of a top-6 F, offensive D that can fill that gap.
Na im picking up what youre putting down i just think youre putting a little too much emphasis on us losing a couple journeyman players who played beyond their normal selves last year.

Reactions: KrakenSabresMike

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
I think I might have said it first but no need to argue about that :)

Frankly I've never understood the Sprong love. I'm not convinced a lot of those goals were just him and wouldn't have been scored by whoever else filled the spot. As you said, he doesn't fit what this team is building.

It is starting to look like the plan might be Wright at 4C but idk, there are still moves that can be made.
Sprong has an elite shot. I think he was put in a position to succeed and may not do so on other teams but my concern is not about how he does there, but more about how we replace the production internally.

Reactions: KrakenSabresMike

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Na im picking up what youre putting down i just think youre putting a little too much emphasis on us losing a couple journeyman players who played beyond their normal selves last year.
I guess time will tell. But it may be a moot point anyway, if Francis keeps being patient and ends up landing either a good FA or trade for one on the cheap.

KrakenSabresMike

Oct 7, 2020
Sprong has an elite shot. I think he was put in a position to succeed and may not do so on other teams but my concern is not about how he does there, but more about how we replace the production internally.
He’s got a great shot and potted goals but is a very 1 dimensional player. They can do better and still get some scoring from those spots

Sad People

Jun 4, 2021
Nick Bjustad for example who was had for a 7th round pick for the Wild back in 2020 who was pretty good on the dot had 17 points that year when he played 30 less games than Donato did this year.

I would also hope Matty beniers takes another step forward when it comes to his offensive production this year and that hopefully eases the pain of losing the production between those 3 players. I would hope he can atleast pot 30 goals.

Reactions: Fistfullofbeer

KrakenSabresMike

Oct 7, 2020
I bet we get another good player that someone else needs to dump for money reasons - I would I Sam Reinhart from Florida… They need to dump some salary and he may be on the move. From the northwest and is a great two-way player. Very smart. Would b3 a good add

Reactions: Fistfullofbeer

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
O'Reilly to Nashville
So Trotz gets rid of Duchene and Johansen, gets ROR and Nyquist in free agency. That team got worse but not bad enough for a tank. I have no idea what he's doing, status quo or full tank would have made sense, but he just made the team even more mediocre.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad