GDT: Seattle Kraken Free Agent Frenzy Discussion

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
Woah! I’m a LOT less enthused right now. Why not just hold onto Soucy and pay him $100k more than this? 3 years? Hmmm. I was seriously like “has to be 2.5 or less”. Nope. Hmmmm.

Remember that bullshit I was talking about? Well, if nothing else happens… lmfao

To me it makes no sense unless there's at least one move on defense happening.

Reactions: Fistfullofbeer

Cisse

Jun 25, 2016
Forssa
I heard a rumor that Canes are still seriously after Karlsson and that means they are ready to trade Skej or Pesce away to make room.

Reactions: RainyCityHockey

Irie

Nov 14, 2010
Pacific Northwest
Woah! I’m a LOT less enthused right now. Why not just hold onto Soucy and pay him $100k more than this? 3 years? Hmmm. I was seriously like “has to be 2.5 or less”. Nope. Hmmmm.

Remember that bullshit I was talking about? Well, if nothing else happens… lmfao
This is where i am at as well.

Soucy >> Dumoulin. With the contracts the teams UFAs signed for elsewhere, I feel that it would have been well worth it to bring both Soucy and one of Sprong/Geekie back.

The team lost 44 goals up front from players that only played 200 games. (that is 2.5 18 goal scorers in 2.5 individual seasons) that's substantial production for the cap hit they signed at elsewhere. I feel like this may be a case of overlooking the value of what you have and a case of "grass is always greener" misguided envy,

Reactions: G Backup

Cisse

Jun 25, 2016
Forssa
Could be interesting as well.
I wouldn't mind if Karlsson joins the Canes and Canes would trade Skej for us. I watched a lot of Canes games last season and I liked what Skej produced. He would be a good asset for us to go forward. Of course Karlsson is more media sexy.😎

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
Just playing along those Karlsson rumors.

How would that deal look like?
Especially if Karlsson is at about $8M AAV.

Karlsson $8M AAV
for
Driedger, Borgen, 2024 1st Rounder, X

?

Elvs

Jul 3, 2006
Sweden
As someone who follows Slovak players in particular, and have been following Studenic since he was drafted, I can say you're gonna love him. Speedy winger, relentless forechecker/hard worker and defensively responsible.

Can produce at the AHL level but unfortunately haven't been able to score in the NHL so far. Yet, I think he's what the modern 4th line winger should be. Always has a smile on his face too, so he's an easy guy to root for, no matter weather if he ends up being a regular or just a minor league call up.

AarG

Oct 11, 2021
Francis talking about the goalie situation:

And free agency:

KrakenSabresMike

Oct 7, 2020
Francis talking about the goalie situation:

And free agency:

what does that last comment even mean? He's too tired to make signings? Probably just her editorializing but serious its his Freaking job to be one the ball this week. Not what I want to hear as a fan....

The Marquis

Aug 24, 2020
Washougal, WA
what does that last comment even mean? He's too tired to make signings? Probably just her editorializing but serious its his Freaking job to be one the ball this week. Not what I want to hear as a fan....

I’d like to hear or read the actual quote. Women tend to understand statements by men a lot differently than men intend them to be understood. Vice versa and all that too. We’re different and all that.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
I will admit that when I read that quote, I had the same reaction as you. Like, dude, that is part of the job. Even winning a SC does not mean you can rest.

Reactions: KrakenSabresMike

AarG

Oct 11, 2021
I partly agree with you guys, but...

I take it that Francis doesn't want to rush anything and isn't forced into making any deals. He's been patient before and probably wants to look at all options. For what we know, he might just be referencing the hectic start of free agency.

(I couldn't find the actual quote)

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Now that I am at the cabin and can finally type on a real keyboard instead of the phone ... I want to give my thoughts in depth.

The Dumoulin signing in a vacuum is fine. He replaces Soucy, and he will be better simply because he was given 1st pair minutes in Pittsburgh as opposed to 2nd or even 3rd pair minutes he gets on the Kraken.

There is a way to go still before the season starts, but I am curious to see what else Francis does. If he truly goes into next season with just a Dumoulin and Soucy swap, we will likely take a step back because we still need to make up for the loss of Donato, Sprong and Geekie's production. Kartye is a good start there but the playoffs were too small of a sample size to know this for sure and if he can play an entire NHL season at a similar level as the playoffs.

The D still would be pretty solid, assuming we re-sign both Borgen and Dunn:

Dunn-Larsson
Schultz-Oleksiak
Dumo-Borgen
Megna/Evans

But the forward core needs more skill:

McCann-Beniers-Eberle
Schwartz-Wennberg-Burakovsky
Tolvanen-Gourde-Bjorkstrand
Tanev-?-Kartye

We will find out in the next few months, or hopefully sooner, but we barely made the playoffs last season, and our good run was aided by Gru getting real hot. I don't know if we catch lightning in a bottle again with this roster.

sigma six

Doesn't need stick tape
Aug 2, 2005
Cascadia
Suddenly have a few holes at forward depth, curious who's supposed to take those spots other than Kartye.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Suddenly have a few holes at forward depth, curious who's supposed to take those spots other than Kartye.
On paper, the only hole for the "starting 12 F" is 4C. Though, I have no clue if he expects any of our F prospects outside of Wright to be ready for callups. And even then, we need to look at replacing the production of Sprong, Geekie and Donato.

Will be interesting to see if he is going to actually trade or sign UFA's to replace that production or just roll the dice with who we have in the organization. Either way, I would not be shocked to see a step back from this season unless there is a trade or UFA signing incoming.

Reactions: sigma six

The Marquis

Aug 24, 2020
Washougal, WA
Now that I am at the cabin and can finally type on a real keyboard instead of the phone ... I want to give my thoughts in depth.

The Dumoulin signing in a vacuum is fine. He replaces Soucy, and he will be better simply because he was given 1st pair minutes in Pittsburgh as opposed to 2nd or even 3rd pair minutes he gets on the Kraken.

There is a way to go still before the season starts, but I am curious to see what else Francis does. If he truly goes into next season with just a Dumoulin and Soucy swap, we will likely take a step back because we still need to make up for the loss of Donato, Sprong and Geekie's production. Kartye is a good start there but the playoffs were too small of a sample size to know this for sure and if he can play an entire NHL season at a similar level as the playoffs.

The D still would be pretty solid, assuming we re-sign both Borgen and Dunn:

Dunn-Larsson
Schultz-Oleksiak
Dumo-Borgen
Megna/Evans

But the forward core needs more skill:

McCann-Beniers-Eberle
Schwartz-Wennberg-Burakovsky
Tolvanen-Gourde-Bjorkstrand
Tanev-?-Kartye

We will find out in the next few months, or hopefully sooner, but we barely made the playoffs last season, and our good run was aided by Gru getting real hot. I don't know if we catch lightning in a bottle again with this roster.

Well at least it’s mostly the same roster. I’m of the “will miss the playoffs” pretty much unless that 4th line clicks a decent amount and everybody stays healthy.

Irie

Nov 14, 2010
Pacific Northwest
On paper, the only hole for the "starting 12 F" is 4C. Though, I have no clue if he expects any of our F prospects outside of Wright to be ready for callups. And even then, we need to look at replacing the production of Sprong, Geekie and Donato.

Will be interesting to see if he is going to actually trade or sign UFA's to replace that production or just roll the dice with who we have in the organization. Either way, I would not be shocked to see a step back from this season unless there is a trade or UFA signing incoming.

Would have to hope for great injury luck this season. If they experience anything like what the Avs went through last year to their forward core, it's going to get really ugly really quickly.

The Marquis

Aug 24, 2020
Washougal, WA
Having now heard RF’s “take a deep breath” what he said was very different from what Alison said. Lmfao. So different. He said something like after all this (playoffs x2, awards, draft etc) we need to stand back take a deep breath and see what’s available that we can do something with. I’m paraphrasing, but it definitely wasn’t what she tweeted out. Or it could just be me being a dude and not understanding what she’s trying to get me to understand. Lol.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Having now heard RF’s “take a deep breath” what he said was very different from what Alison said. Lmfao. So different. He said something like after all this (playoffs x2, awards, draft etc) we need to stand back take a deep breath and see what’s available that we can do something with. I’m paraphrasing, but it definitely wasn’t what she tweeted out. Or it could just be me being a dude and not understanding what she’s trying to get me to understand. Lol.
I will take your word for it because a GM saying this does not make sense. Even for the dumb ones and I consider RF a rather smart guy ... :)

The Marquis

Aug 24, 2020
Washougal, WA
I will take your word for it because a GM saying this does not make sense. Even for the dumb ones and I consider RF a rather smart guy ... :)

The question was about if there was more they were going to do in free agency and he painted it like today was over and now that the dust has cleared they would take a step back and look at what’s left. That’s my interpretation at least. It definitely sounded nothing like “yeah we’re just relaxing now that all the other shit is over”

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad