GDT: Seattle Kraken Draft & Trades II - 8 PM ESPN2, SN, TVAS

Status
Not open for further replies.

since76

Jul 14, 2005
Quebec
It is not a problem but I just can’t understand the krakens strategy with theirs choices
Good luck to them

kjpm

Sponsor
May 28, 2011
I get valuing cap space but Francis didn't get a single draft pick to not select a guy? Looks like he came in too hot demanding too high a price for an extra protection spot so everybody just worked around him. I'll withhold judgment until things shake out but they left a lot of value on the table.

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
So it's basically confirmed that Francis bungled it. Clearly GMs learned from their past mistakes, but some of those picks are just inexplicable if there's not a side deal. Geekie from Carolina, Bayreuther from Columbus, Twarynski from Philly, Quenneville from Chicago...

Jury is still out I'd say. Definitely some questionable or eye-opening picks, on the surface, but there seems to be some strategy at work here, e.g. if they're storing up cap space, maybe Francis is going to target a squeezed team like Tampa to try and land some very cheap or advantageous trades. Let's see how things look in Seattle in a few days.

inactive user

Aug 20, 2020
Jury is still out I'd say. Definitely some questionable or eye-opening picks, on the surface, but there seems to be some strategy at work here, e.g. if they're storing up cap space, maybe Francis is going to target a squeezed team like Tampa to try and land some very cheap or advantageous trades. Let's see how things look in Seattle in a few days.
According to @NeelyDan there are trades that have yet been announced until the freeze is lifted.

Reactions: Aussie Bruin

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border
I think that they are trying to make other teams sweat with the bloated contracts, while also eyeing up free agency.

I think other teams may have tried to play hard ball with them and Francis wasn't biting. These teams will probably come back around with better offers and if that was/is the case, Ronnie wont look like a fool who didn't know what in the hell he was doing after all.

missingchicklet

Jan 24, 2010
Feel bad for Giordano. Could tell he was not thrilled to be in Seattle. Found it funny that Oleksiak said he's excited about the direction the team is heading. Uh, the team hasn't even played a game yet and just drafted half an AHL roster. Not sure what direction to make of that.

Francis is getting roasted by a lot of folks around the net now, but there is no way he doesn't have a very complete plan in place to have a notably better roster by the time the season starts. I thought he would at least take a couple players that could be flipped in deals for assets. I guess tomorrow will shed more light on some of his decisions that look like head scratchers at the moment. He did avoid taking on stupid contracts being dangled in front of him, put together the makings of a pretty decent D, and drafted some solid forwards. So much cap room to go after players he actually wants in FA.

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
I get valuing cap space but Francis didn't get a single draft pick to not select a guy? Looks like he came in too hot demanding too high a price for an extra protection spot so everybody just worked around him. I'll withhold judgment until things shake out but they left a lot of value on the table.

Absolutely. He badly overplayed his hand but asking for a ransom. GMGM looks like a genius in comparison. He left with a better team and a boatload of draft picks.

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
If we based every player decision on a player's past, Taylor Hall wouldn't be back with the Bruins at 6 million per or thereabouts.
I was referencing my dislike and lack of faith in Cassidy being able to control a locker room (or run a power play, shorthand, match lines, understand how to coach in the playoffs, well anything coaching related)

Reactions: Gordoff

inactive user

Aug 20, 2020
Feel bad for Giordano. Could tell he was not thrilled to be in Seattle. Found it funny that Oleksiak said he's excited about the direction the team is heading. Uh, the team hasn't even played a game yet and just drafted half an AHL roster. Not sure what direction to make of that.

Francis is getting roasted by a lot of folks around the net now, but there is no way he doesn't have a very complete plan in place to have a notably better roster by the time the season starts. I thought he would at least take a couple players that could be flipped in deals for assets. I guess tomorrow will shed more light on some of his decisions that look like head scratchers at the moment. He did avoid taking on stupid contracts being dangled in front of him, put together the makings of a pretty decent D, and drafted some solid forwards. So much cap room to go after players he actually wants in FA.
Agree with most of what you said but what made you think Giordano wasn’t thrilled?

inactive user

Aug 20, 2020
Absolutely. He badly overplayed his hand but asking for a ransom. GMGM looks like a genius in comparison. He left with a better team and a boatload of draft picks.
I guess most teams learned from that year. Not worth giving up multiple assets to protect one player.

Bread and Circuses

Smile and wave.
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2010
Somewhere in the middle
Probably should’ve made a better comparison. I like Lauzon, think he will be missed. But it’s odd that some people on the board seem to think it’s the end of the world.

member when folks here though Jimmy Vesey was going to be the game changer for the Bruins and were rattled when he went to the Rangers?

I member.......

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad