Seattle Kracken?

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
Dumb name, doesn’t roll off the tongue. What does Norse mythology have anything to do with the pacific north west. Now the fans are gonna be know as Krakheads, and that release the Kraken garbage will get old in about 5mins.

IMO it should have been Seattle Thunderbirds. The could have gotten a local indigenous artist to design the logo. Even provided a percentage of all merchandise would go to help support programs for at risk youth or indigenous youth sports.

Uhhh... is this a joke of some sort? The Seattle Thunderbirds already exist.

Also, weird logic. What do flames have to do with Calgary? There are no kings in LA, no swordfighting in Buffalo, no panthers in Florida...

Funk21

Mar 6, 2013
Toronto

Also, weird logic. What do flames have to do with Calgary? There are no kings in LA, no swordfighting in Buffalo, no panthers in Florida...

Was not aware that the Seattle Thunderbirds already exist. Don’t follow WHL. Regardless I think it would have been a great corporate partnership to do something indigenous themed as the pacific north west has a very strong tradition of art and its people.

Regarding weird logic, hey made a point of tying in the Kraken to Seattle and it just made zero sense. I get it that most teams mascots/names have very little to do with the location of the team. In 5 mins of the official name getting out the “Release the Kraken” memes were trending hard (Liam Neeson needs to copyright that quick) and their fan base will likely be known as Krakheads.....Umm not a good start

Coachcorner

Senor Martinez
Sep 28, 2017
Was not aware that the Seattle Thunderbirds already exist. Don’t follow WHL. Regardless I think it would have been a great corporate partnership to do something indigenous themed as the pacific north west has a very strong tradition of art and its people.

Regarding weird logic, hey made a point of tying in the Kraken to Seattle and it just made zero sense. I get it that most teams mascots/names have very little to do with the location of the team. In 5 mins of the official name getting out the “Release the Kraken” memes were trending hard (Liam Neeson needs to copyright that quick) and their fan base will likely be known as Krakheads.....Umm not a good start
Also uh, to be called as a krakheads is a privelage, an honor. It's the hardest nickname a sucka can have in this tough world. Nothing goes by or through a krakhead.

SmoggyTwinkles

Go Leafs Go
Aug 5, 2010
Oshawa
www.bing.com
The Kraken, in Greek Mythology, is a sea monster of tremendous size and strength. It was born from the titans Oceanus and Ceto, both entities of the sea. Its tentacles are large enough to be able to pull entire ships under the water and destroy cities with relative ease.

Luv it baby!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11

Raptors vs Kraken, who wins?

Jurassic Park vs a bunch of pirate movies, who wins?

Reactions: JT AM da real deal

Stigma

May 24, 2015
Mississauga
For the old school posters, the Kraken logo looks a bit like Steinberg's.

4b57a04a90be754c5e96b46b6871d4ab.jpg

Brown Dog

Jun 23, 2007
Starbucks missed an opportunity to influence the teams at the Seattle Frappuccinos, and gaining naming rights to the arena calling it the Barista Centre

:sarcasm:

As someone who grew up on Pearl Jam, Nirvana, and STP, I was hoping for "The Seattle Grunge." ;)

Nylanderthal

Jun 9, 2010
Dumb name, doesn’t roll off the tongue. What does Norse mythology have anything to do with the pacific north west. Now the fans are gonna be know as Krakheads, and that release the Kraken garbage will get old in about 5mins.

IMO it should have been Seattle Thunderbirds. The could have gotten a local indigenous artist to design the logo. Even provided a percentage of all merchandise would go to help support programs for at risk youth or indigenous youth sports.
The largest octopus in the world inhibit the PNW waters specifically in Puget Sound, the waters that Seattle is built around. Honestly with teams across all leagues looking at changing their names and logos that appear to disparage natives I don’t think this would be the kind of climate to try that idea of yours on for size.
Honestly imo the only thing they missed here was making one of those three lighter shades of blue some form of green.

CincoHolio

Jan 8, 2013
Toronto
deleted.

As some have said. It's not too bad, could be much worse. Of course the obvious puns make it too easy to target but otherwise, it's not all that bad.

Last edited:

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013

Oil and gas in Calgary? It makes a ton of sense... Oil and gas makes fire when ignited.

There are panthers in Florida. It is an endangered species, and why the team was named after them.

LA wanted something that sounded royal and deserved respect. Arguably considering the entertainment industry and the number of celebrities in the area, it could make sense.

But no, there is no sword fighting in Buffalo... However at least the name rolls off of the tongue and the colour scheme was unique and interesting. This colour scheme is not really all that unique, and it is not really an appealing logo.

They are trying to say that the Kraken represents that they are on the Pacific Ocean and that there is a giant squid that is found in the Pacific Northwest.

Reactions: Its not your fault

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
Oil and gas in Calgary? It makes a ton of sense... Oil and gas makes fire when ignited.

There are panthers in Florida. It is an endangered species, and why the team was named after them.

LA wanted something that sounded royal and deserved respect. Arguably considering the entertainment industry and the number of celebrities in the area, it could make sense.

But no, there is no sword fighting in Buffalo... However at least the name rolls off of the tongue and the colour scheme was unique and interesting. This colour scheme is not really all that unique, and it is not really an appealing logo.

They are trying to say that the Kraken represents that they are on the Pacific Ocean and that there is a giant squid that is found in the Pacific Northwest.

None of your examples are less of a stretch than Kraken. Plus, I could go on. Penguins in Pittsburg? Minnesota "Wild"? Golden Knights?

Who cares? It's a cool name. Where did this idea come from, that it has to have an important cultural reference specific to the city?

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
I'm sure people will be kraken jokes about the name for years.

And yes, it's supposed to be a long a, not a short one.

A good name, as long as the giant squid don't start complaining about cultural appropriation.

But seriously, I like the name, meh about the sweater and logo.

The rum is really good!

LeafParade

Jun 27, 2019
If they ever meet the Red Wings in a final, I expect to see a parade of octopuses and squids on the ice.

HellasLEAF

'93 to Infinity
Sep 14, 2006
I actually love it. Love the name. Release the Kraken will be a great intro. The trailer they put together is really good too.

Jerseys and logo work too I like the S. Nice job here for Seattle. They follow Vegas in great expansion brand creations.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
Will be interesting to see what the team looks like. That's obviously quite a way off still.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad