Speculation: Seattle Expansion Draft Thread.......

Crown Royal

Apr 3, 2010
As RFA's, can the Kings wait to offer AA and Moore contracts until after the expansion draft?

If they aren't under contract would they still be exposed to Seattle?

Last edited:

Crown Royal

Apr 3, 2010
Please correct me if I'm wrong, but CapFriendly shows Kale Clague as being 9 games short of the requirements for exposure to the expansion draft.

Ray Martyniuk

Mar 13, 2019
As RFA's, can the Kings wait to offer AA and Moore contracts until after the expansion draft?

If they aren't under contract would they still be exposed to Seattle?
If the Kings don't protect AA/Moore or sign them its like not protecting them and free for Seattle to choose and try to sign and since they are RFA they would Seattle property

Ray Martyniuk

Mar 13, 2019
Please correct me if I'm wrong, but CapFriendly shows Kale Clague as being 9 games short of the requirements for exposure to the expansion draft.
He's not part of the group that is technically exposed but will be if the Kings don't protect him which I'm thinking they want to make a deal with Seattle to keep him

Crown Royal

Apr 3, 2010
He's not part of the group that is technically exposed but will be if the Kings don't protect him which I'm thinking they want to make a deal with Seattle to keep him

What? He's not technically exposed but will be if the Kings don't protect him? That statement makes no sense.

Last edited:

Crown Royal

Apr 3, 2010
He has 2 or more years experience of pro hockey so he is eligible to be selected by Seattle should the Kings not choose to protect him.

So what's the 27/54 NHL games played over the past 1/2 seasons requirement? Clague has only played 22 NHL games in his career. I understand he's no longer waiver eligible but how does Seattle get around the 27/54 GP requirement? I'm just trying to figure out the draft without having to ask Bettman to explain it.

kovacro

Uvijek Vjerni
Nov 20, 2008
Hamilton, ON

kovacro

Uvijek Vjerni
Nov 20, 2008
Hamilton, ON
Would be shocked if Clague is not picked by Seattle

If LA is not going to protect him, I would float his name around the league to gauge interest. Maybe a team with an open protection spot takes a look. Better to get a pick instead of nothing.

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
If LA is not going to protect him, I would float his name around the league to gauge interest. Maybe a team with an open protection spot takes a look. Better to get a pick instead of nothing.

guessing that has been done, and guessing a few teams are doing the same thing.

Issue there is then you are losing two players (one via trade and one ED) even if you are getting a pick for one. Rather just lose the one.

kovacro

Uvijek Vjerni
Nov 20, 2008
Hamilton, ON
guessing that has been done, and guessing a few teams are doing the same thing.

Issue there is then you are losing two players (one via trade and one ED) even if you are getting a pick for one. Rather just lose the one.

True enough. I’m sure the phone lines are very busy amongst all the clubs.

HookKing

Dec 12, 2008
Virtually no one is likely to have an open D spot.

Reactions: andys

lumbergh

It was an idea. I didn't say it was a good idea.
Jan 8, 2007
Richmond, VA
I wouldn't be shocked if Seattle picked Quick. He has value as a player and as a trade chip. It would hurt to see it, but that's what I'd do if I were Ron Francis. I mean, how many teams out there could use a battle-tested, playoff beast of a goalie?

There's a good chance Clague turns out to be a decent #4 guy and maybe #2 power play D, but there's also a good chance he turns out to be a tweener.

Reactions: andys and FSL KINGS

Gjwrams

A Know Nothing Fool
Mar 4, 2019
I wouldn't be surprised if any one of the unprotected Kings were selected by Seattle. I feel there really isn't anyone that the Kraken would say "Oh Yea! That's my guy!".

Last edited:
Reactions: Schrute farms

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Virtually no one is likely to have an open D spot.

Even more so, a D spot to protect.

I wouldn't be surprised if any of the Kings unprotected were selected by Seattle. I feel there really isn't anyone that the Kraken would say "Oh Yea! That's my guy!".

Can you imagine :laugh:

*Seattle looks at Kings roster*

"Uh, Gary, can we simply not? We'd rather have the contract slot."

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
So what's the 27/54 NHL games played over the past 1/2 seasons requirement? Clague has only played 22 NHL games in his career. I understand he's no longer waiver eligible but how does Seattle get around the 27/54 GP requirement? I'm just trying to figure out the draft without having to ask Bettman to explain it.

Here are the eligibility rules:
  • All players who have earned two or less professional seasons at the end of the 2020-21 season, as well as all unsigned draft choices appearing on the teams reserve list, will be exempt from the upcoming expansion draft.
  • Expansion draft professional seasons use the waivers professional season definition: 11 NHL games are required for players aged 18 and 19, 1 professional game in any pro-league (while signed to an NHL contract) for any player aged 20 or older
Then, unrelated to the eligibility rules, all teams must expose at minimum:
  • Two forwards and one defenseman under contract who played in 27 games last season or 54 games over the past two seasons, and
  • One goalie under contract
The "games remaining" counter on CapFriendly is just showing how many more games that player would need to play to qualify for the minimum exposure rules for each team. For example, let's pretend that the Kings didn't have Olli Maatta or Kurtis MacDermid. That would mean that only Doughty, Walker, and Roy would meet the minimum games played requirements, so one of those three would have to be exposed.

CapFriendly's exposure list is correct. Anyone here who isn't exempt is eligible for selection by Seattle.

FSL KINGS

May 10, 2021
Clague isn't the best pickup for Seattle. He's 23 & needs waivers this year to be sent down. Seattle will likely have 7-8 better D than Clague. they could still gamble on him. Could result in losing Clague on waivers by the start of the season.

Reactions: kilowatt

Ray Martyniuk

Mar 13, 2019
Like Clague and think LA will sweeten the pot considerably to not get Kale Clague...Lizotte,Wags,Wolanin,Hrenak,Brown,Dudas,Moverare...hell the Kings could offer up 10 players and not be the worse for it

Statto

Sponsor
May 9, 2014
Ben Bishop has waived his NMC clause so that pretty much guarantees Quick won’t get selected.

Reactions: Lt Dan

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad