Seattle clears major hurdle on the way to an NHL franchise

Price is Wright

Feb 5, 2010
essex
You are getting a point despite losing the game after regulation. It's a loser point.

There should be no points. You win or you lose. 16 teams with the most wins make the playoffs. Easy peasy.

New Leaf

Oct 16, 2008
You are getting a point despite losing the game after regulation. It's a loser point.

There should be no points. You win or you lose. 16 teams with the most wins make the playoffs. Easy peasy.

Every shootout game in the NHL would have been one point for each team when ties existed. If you go to overtime, you are more likely to just go for the tie under the old system (and teams did). So now we're replacing a system with each team getting 1 point with one that gives a bonus point to the winner of the skills competition. The extra point is going to the winner, not the loser.

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
Every shootout game in the NHL would have been one point for each team when ties existed. If you go to overtime, you are more likely to just go for the tie under the old system (and teams did). So now we're replacing a system with each team getting 1 point with one that gives a bonus point to the winner of the skills competition. The extra point is going to the winner, not the loser.

This again?

I've been saying this since day one, but teams should not be rewarded for losing. It's what the L in OTL stands for.

Teams that lose games after regulation are rewarded with an extra point, possibly moving up in the standings as a result.

No other pro sports league actually rewards teams for losing, short of a better draft pick.

Reactions: Price is Wright

New Leaf

Oct 16, 2008
This again?

I've been saying this since day one, but teams should not be rewarded for losing. It's what the L in OTL stands for.

Teams that lose games after regulation are rewarded with an extra point, possibly moving up in the standings as a result.

No other pro sports league actually rewards teams for losing, short of a better draft pick.

Regardless of the name you want to assign it, the extra point goes to the winner. If the old tie system was in place last season, the Leafs finish 2nd in their division. Without ties, they finished in the 2nd wild card. It's demonstrably true that the "loser" point helps the winner.

As for your last assertion, there are quite a few professional hockey leagues which track OTL and award points. It's basically a necessity in hockey. Other sports are either less intensive physically (basketball/baseball) or teams score more often (football). In hockey, goals can come very far apart, so you either have a shootout or you bring back ties. Soccer is the only other major sport like this and their leagues primarily use ties. I would prefer ties to be honest, but that's not really the subject here. If you didn't award any OTL points and then had a shootout there would be riots in the streets.

Sep 20, 2013
In The Crease

No other pro sports league has an overtime which is played by such a completely different set of rules either. If you want no loser point, then either ties need to come back or playoff overtime rules get used in the regular season - and good luck getting TV networks and the NHLPA to agree to playoff overtime rules for regular season games.

DFAC

Jan 19, 2008
Seattle Metropolitans
Seattle Steelheads
Seattle Snowcaps

and my personal favorite....... Seattle Grinders

Price is Wright

Feb 5, 2010
essex
This is actually kind of insulting and disrespectful to Quebec.

Unless the NHL wants to embrace being a niché league, insulting and disrespecting Quebec City is the way to go.

Seattle, Houston, Milwaukee, Toronto, heck I'll take a second team in Montreal before ever supporting a team in Quebec City.

GodEmperor

Oct 12, 2017
The idea that shooting percentage is the reflection of skill is hilarious. I'm waiting for you to back up your claim that it has. That doesn't do it at all. That's just cherry-picking and using it as a non-sequitur for a conclusion you wanted to get to beforehand. At least I'm honest about it. You don't quantify that stuff to reach that kind of conclusion unless you're trying to be disingenuous.

Shooting isn't a skill now?

Well, I guess we've taken this conversation as far as it can go.

Best of luck with your vagueness and lack of evidence to support your arguments in the future, you already do an excellent job of it.

I guess this is why you side step obvious questions like:

Do you think skill goes up or down with an increase in player pool?

Do you think skill goes up and down with better training methods, nutrition and weight training?

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke

Best of luck with your vagueness and lack of evidence to support your arguments in the future, you already do an excellent job of it.

Do you think skill goes up and down with better training methods, nutrition and weight training?

I think he was referring to shooting percentage being used in serious debates between two players.

Like say over the same amount of games, player A has 12 goals on 48 shots and player B has 30 goals on 180 shots.

I'd still take player B despite a lower shooting percentage. :dunno:

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom

There's more skill involved than JUST shooting in basketball. That's the point. You're pigeonholing the skill argument to JUST shooting and that's just not a sound argument to make. Those questions weren't exactly posed directly but conventional wisdom tends to side with skill going down with an increase in the player pool but it's not always necessarily the case. And conventional wisdom would say that skill goes up with better training methods, nutrition, and weight training but that doesn't always occur. It's not a linear process because if athletes focus their training on their athletic ability more than the actual game itself, the skill for the game can drop and that's exactly what happened in basketball. The focus is generally on athletic ability, driving the net, shooting threes, and mostly individual matchups in the halfcourt game than passing, team plays that involve more than maybe two guys on a play, and the transition game. The fundamentals of basketball has fallen by the wayside in the past twenty years.

GodEmperor

Oct 12, 2017
There's more skill involved than JUST shooting in basketball. That's the point. You're pigeonholing the skill argument to JUST shooting and that's just not a sound argument to make. Those questions weren't exactly posed directly but conventional wisdom tends to side with skill going down with an increase in the player pool but it's not always necessarily the case. And conventional wisdom would say that skill goes up with better training methods, nutrition, and weight training but that doesn't always occur. It's not a linear process because if athletes focus their training on their athletic ability more than the actual game itself, the skill for the game can drop and that's exactly what happened in basketball. The focus is generally on athletic ability, driving the net, shooting threes, and mostly individual matchups in the halfcourt game than passing, team plays that involve more than maybe two guys on a play, and the transition game. The fundamentals of basketball has fallen by the wayside in the past twenty years.

Shooting is very easy to quantify and it's still a huge part of basketball, that is one metric that one can use, you have not provided any metrics of your own, so by default I have put forth more actual evidence in this discussion.

You're just appealing to outliers, yeah it's not ALWAYS the case that if you add more people to the talent pool it gets better, but that's not what we see in other sports where the play is through the roof as the talent pool has increased. You're just using technicalities to weasel your way out of the arguments.

Athletecism is a skill and so is effective coaching, you can deny it for whatever reason, but even the most athletic players put immense work into their "athleticism."

The bottom line is this, you have not attempted to put forth any evidence for your position, so there is no way you can win this. You can say my evidence isn't great, but I'm pretty sure everyone agrees that shooting is an important skill and thus my evidence>>>>>>>""""""""""""yours"""""""""""""

Skobel24

#Ignited
May 23, 2008
Winnipeg
Great news. Do you think this will rule out Portland for a while?

I do not see any problems with talent dilution, it just allows the greats to shine more. Maybe at 50 teams there would be some complications.

I don't think Portland was ever a serious option, and I don't think the league goes beyond 32 teams. Portlands only chance is relocation.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Shooting is very easy to quantify and it's still a huge part of basketball, that is one metric that one can use, you have not provided any metrics of your own, so by default I have put forth more actual evidence in this discussion.

You're just appealing to outliers, yeah it's not ALWAYS the case that if you add more people to the talent pool it gets better, but that's not what we see in other sports where the play is through the roof as the talent pool has increased. You're just using technicalities to weasel your way out of the arguments.

Athletecism is a skill and so is effective coaching, you can deny it for whatever reason, but even the most athletic players put immense work into their "athleticism."

The bottom line is this, you have not attempted to put forth any evidence for your position, so there is no way you can win this. You can say my evidence isn't great, but I'm pretty sure everyone agrees that shooting is an important skill and thus my evidence>>>>>>>""""""""""""yours"""""""""""""

And again, your 'actual evidence' is a cherry-picking pigeonholing effort. Your argument thus far is that shooting is the reflection of skill in basketball. That is just an oversimplification and it is very disingenuous on your part. Using technicalities to weasel my way out of arguments? What makes you think that? Because I acknowledge that there's a hell of a lot of nuance to subjects like this and you want a black and white answer to something that has a ton of shades of gray involved? Guilty as charged, I guess. I don't oversimplify for the purpose of making a point like you do.

This isn't about winning or losing. That is quite a ridiculous notion you're putting forth here. The reality is that you said something you quite simply can't legitimately support with evidence without doing heavy mental gymnastics and faulty assumptions. That's your problem. A black and white world, faulty assumptions, and working backwards from your preconceived conclusion.

Dom

Aug 6, 2006
As someone from Quebec City, I see this as somewhat of a good news.
The NHL is clearly set to create a 32 teams league with 16 teams in the eastern time zone and 16 teams in the central, mountain and pacific time zones. This will be done before any relocation or new franchises in the east. Seattle getting a franchise is therefore a mandatory step to a Quebec team.

After the league is at 32, the owners will look at consolidation and make sure each team turn a profit.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad