Seattle clears major hurdle on the way to an NHL franchise

deaderhead28

Jul 3, 2010
IMG_0894.JPG
The NHL is expected in the coming months to announce a franchise to Seattle after the City Council approved a $600 million renovation of KeyArena

The council approved a Memorandum of Understanding between the city and the Oak View Group to complete the renovation as early as October 2020. With the deal in place, the NHL is expected to make a franchise announcement regarding Seattle.

By
Geoff Baker
Read More Below
KeyArena MOU approved by Seattle City Council; will NHL announcement soon follow?

Last edited:

deaderhead28

Jul 3, 2010
Yay more expansion drafts and watering down of the league
League is not water down by any means.Its very competitive and talent pool is much bigger then before.Spreading out talent helps the league unlike the original 6 days of having only 6 teams with all the talent winning the cup continuously like say Montreal.East is loaded with teams in the area, good for the west coast to add another team.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
So divisions i guess the Yotes gotta move out of the Western division:

Western:

Vancity
Edmonton
Calgary
Los Angeles
Anahiem
Seattle
Las Vegas
San Jose

Central:

Arizona
Dallas
Minnesota
Chicago
Nashville
Colorado
Wpeg
stl

Eastern conferences:

The same

Reactions: SoCalJetsFan

Taro Tsujimoto

Jan 6, 2009
Clarence Center, NY
Who would you move to the Central division then? I guess Vegas?

I say Arizona, because they're in Mountain time rather than Pacific, and I don't think the league would want to split up Calgary and Edmonton (the only other Mountain time teams in the Pacific Division).

The only problem is that the state of Arizona doesn't observe daylight savings time, so they'd essentially be on Pacific time at the beginning and end of the season.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
The sky in the rendering is ominously overcast and the roof is heavily angled to provide maximum rainwater run-off. This seems like it could be legit.

Reactions: jd22

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
I say Arizona, because they're in Mountain time rather than Pacific, and I don't think the league would want to split up Calgary and Edmonton (the only other Mountain time teams in the Pacific Division).

The only problem is that the state of Arizona doesn't observe daylight savings time, so they'd essentially be on Pacific time at the beginning and end of the season.

Yea that makes sense. I was thinking Vegas is away from the coast as well and doesn't really have any ties to the division, but Arizona doesn't seem to have strong rivalries either. Plus, if they did end up relocating the team, Houston would probably be the main option and you don't have to re-align again.

Chuck Norris Trophy

Jan 22, 2015
View attachment 86509 Wonder if they go with the Seattle Metropolitans?

The Seattle Metropolitans were a professional ice hockey team based in Seattle, Washington which played in the Pacific Coast Hockey Association from 1915 to 1924.

That jersey looks like something the Wild players would wear in their Christmas party.

Esko6

Sep 14, 2004
Finland
Great news. Do you think this will rule out Portland for a while?

I do not see any problems with talent dilution, it just allows the greats to shine more. Maybe at 50 teams there would be some complications.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad