Season Wrap Thoughts

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
Gardiner + Hainsey out. 7 million out.
We need to find a top 4 D (like Pesce) at 4 million.
Then the Dermott + the other kids can play for the bottom pair.
Tradable assets as you state above.

Marner / Matthews raises. $20M in (and still have replace two roster spots in Gardiner & Hainsey)

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
That's true but is Kadri perhaps the first player in NHL history to get suspended in the 1st round two years in a row? What that does to his value I can only guess but I don't think it's good.

We'll see I guess. I've always loved Kadri and if he did stay here and redeem himself in next year's playoffs I would love it. You really have to take a huge leap of faith to give him that chance though, not sure if I could do it if it was up to me. Unless as I've said, his trade value is so low that there's just no point in trading him, I wouldn't give him away, that's for sure.

I would not even consider giving him another chance in Toronto. He'd be gone on draft day.

Some stupid GM will think he can be rehabbed in with the proverbial change of scenery.

Jimmy Firecracker

Fire Sheldon.
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
Losing in the first round definitely sucks. We had another 100 point season but we just find ways to lose. We had a lead everytime this series and couldn't win back-to-back games. Something we rarely ever did this season with exception to one stretch of games where we won 4-5 in a row early on. Defense needs to be redone. Bye Gardiner, Marleau, and Brown. If Zaitsev can continue to play how he did in the playoffs this year I'd keep him. Hainsey I'd re-sign for cheap. Kadri two years in a row with stupid suspensions. Trade him too. If you can't put the team over your own selfish agenda you don't belong.

Nylander I really want to keep but man this year really didn't help him. Makes no sense to trade him when his value is so low. However if they get something they can't refuse I can see him being moved. I'm all for Keefe's Leafs next season but I don't feel Shanahan sees it that way.

Not-so-Fun fact, in the calendar year of 2019, the Leafs won multiple games in a row just four times. A four game, two game, three game, and two game win streaks in February and March. This team just had so much trouble dialing it in for a good stretch of time, and it showed in these playoffs.

Reactions: MattySnipes

CelticDruid

Oct 23, 2013
Penticton , BC
If I have to endure more stretch passes next season from the TML I will scream myself into insanity.

Carry the puck up in three-man units and use our skill and speed.
We were a lot faster in our first year under Babcock, and now we just look pedestrian.

We do not utilize our strengths but negate them with terrible coaching strategies.

PS I am now on the fire Babcock train- I have had enough.:ha::mad::thumbd:

I give him half the season to change things around (probably won't happen)

Last edited:

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Can we expect a little Bab jab tomorrow, or has he been asked to cool it for now?
No idea. I think Babs says what he wants. Maybe a bit too much. The thing is he is now set for rest of his life financially. So he has no reason at this stage but to say what he really thinks. As much as people say he is a political beast i think he really does not give a damn about that anymore. He has hit the I don't give a f*ck point. He got the big money and has been paid most of it already i hear. With Lou he like everyone else was told what he could and could not say. It is totally different with Dubie. He looks at Dubie as a young kid learning the ropes. Whatever he says that is what he thinks. So he is really putting his foot in his mouth all the time recently. But again none of that matters until Shanny makes up his mind what he wants to do going forward. And no one will tell Shanny what to do. He will seek advice and talk to everyone for sure. But he makes his own calls. My guess is he will put something on table to babs on how he sees the roster, how he wants to play it and who should work with Babs to make it happen. I think Babs will see it as constructive dismissal.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
I would not even consider giving him another chance in Toronto. He'd be gone on draft day.

Some stupid GM will think he can be rehabbed in with the proverbial change of scenery.

I've always loved Kadri and I wish I could argue that this isn't the way to go. But I can't.

Reactions: Tracer Bullet

ECanuck

Jan 7, 2010
Hamilton
Easy here. You need a few guys with stones around Marner, Tavares and Mathews. Watch how they fly around the ice more instantly!

Kadri is a keeper. You need more. Another game and Debrusk would have been as useful as a sack of potatoes the rest of the series.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Marner / Matthews raises. $20M in (and still have replace two roster spots in Gardiner & Hainsey)
Matthews-JT-Marner-Nylander = 39.5/40 million.

You won’t find any cheap forwards that will make more of a difference than a 20 minute/night D.

Rielly-Pesce-Muzzin-Zaitsev = 17.5
Andersen = 5
9 at 62.5 million

Don’t need a 23 man roster. 21 with the Marlies close by.

21 man roster - 9 = 12
19.5 left.
Marleau + Kessel = 7.5
12 million left for 11.
Hyman = 2.1
9.9 million left for 10
Dermott-Rosen-Lily-Goat-Moore-Petan-Bracco-Sparks + 2 for 10 million.

It’s a top 6, Marlies 6 + 4 D/Andersen and Marlies again.

Reactions: JT AM da real deal

Leafs Fan 12

Jan 20, 2011
I would consider trade Kadri, you just cannot trust him

Kadri/Marleau/Brown should all be gone...I would keep Zaistev as he was fine as soon as he got away from Gardiner

fahad203

Oct 3, 2009
I am absolutely gutted. The disappointment can't even put to words
If the Leafs players ever understood their fans, if they cared like we care for the Leafs, they would never lose a game
I can't shake off this disgusting, utter disappointing feeling

Now back to the original topic. To me this year was a failed year. When you are given 3 Superstars, you expect better results
We simply didn't have a style of game of ours. Every game if Andersen wasn't top of his game, we struggled to compete

Although we have great speed on papers, we don't move the puck well at all. We just dump it in. There was no synchronicity. No harmony in the game.

I watched the San Jose game last night and I was dying with envy. That's a team competes for each other, so much energy, in synch and so much urgency

We need players with different sets of skills. We need some size and grit. Hitting isn't grit

There is no spark in this team. Just no spark.

RoccoF14

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2016
Chicago, IL
Regressed.
Apologies for the intrusion, I come out of respect.

If you feel you've regressed, I think you couldn't be more wrong.

Last year, you guys chased that series from the start and played with desperation.

This year, you forced Boston to chase that series from the start and we had to play with desperation.

I don't see that as regression, and I DEFINITELY don't look forward to playing you guys again next year.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Matthews-JT-Marner-Nylander = 39.5/40 million.

You won’t find any cheap forwards that will make more of a difference than a 20 minute/night D.

Rielly-Pesce-Muzzin-Zaitsev = 17.5
Andersen = 5
9 at 62.5 million

Don’t need a 23 man roster. 21 with the Marlies close by.

21 man roster - 9 = 12
19.5 left.
Marleau + Kessel = 7.5
12 million left for 11.
Hyman = 2.1
9.9 million left for 10
Dermott-Rosen-Lily-Goat-Moore-Petan-Bracco-Sparks + 2 for 10 million.

It’s a top 6, Marlies 6 + 4 D/Andersen and Marlies again.

Kadri, Nylander, Zaitsev, Hainsey, Gardiner, Brown, and Marleau will be shipped out. Nylander's bonus pay out on July 1st will make him attractive trade bait. I just hope Dubas is up to the job.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
It's impossible to look at this season as anything other than underachieving.

All year, we repeatedly lamented this team not being able to find that extra gear that we all knew was there.

They eventually found it in the playoffs, but the lack of killer instinct to put their boots on the throats of the Bruins is what will be the biggest takeaway this season.

Game 7 hurts, but game 6 is the one that fans should circle on the calendar as the afternoon this series was lost; to battle your way to that position, and not see it through, is really disappointing. The coach's role in that, particularly with his lack of adjustments with the bottom half of the lineup and on the penalty kill, which to my estimation cost them both game 4 and 6, will leave a lasting impression on this season.

Ultimately, I do think that this team is headed in the right direction. Several of the young core have yet another year under their belt, and have shown promise and progression - Matthews has now started producing in the playoffs, Marner is earning serious attention from other teams, and Nylander simply cannot be as useless as he was this season.

This will also have been an important lesson for Dubas on the capabilities and deficiencies of his roster as well. While he has been involved with this team for a number of years, this is his first season in full charge. We know his vision and approach differs from those before him, and he will now have a very good handle on what the Leafs have, and what they need.

I know a lot of people are thinking with their hearts today, but my head still says that we are on the right track to being a consistent contender for the next several years.

Reactions: Tracer Bullet

tellermine

Oct 21, 2018
Köln, Helsinki, Lappeenranta
Season was good.

Though Kadri continues his playoff resume...
Nylander primadonna was bad miss from Dubas. Should have traded him and + for a good defencemen.

I am surprised If one or both of them are not tradet out at october.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
It's impossible to look at this season as anything other than underachieving.

All year, we repeatedly lamented this team not being able to find that extra gear that we all knew was there.

They eventually found it in the playoffs, but the lack of killer instinct to put their boots on the throats of the Bruins is what will be the biggest takeaway this season.

Game 7 hurts, but game 6 is the one that fans should circle on the calendar as the afternoon this series was lost; to battle your way to that position, and not see it through, is really disappointing. The coach's role in that, particularly with his lack of adjustments with the bottom half of the lineup and on the penalty kill, which to my estimation cost them both game 4 and 6, will leave a lasting impression on this season.

Ultimately, I do think that this team is headed in the right direction. Several of the young core have yet another year under their belt, and have shown promise and progression - Matthews has now started producing in the playoffs, Marner is earning serious attention from other teams, and Nylander simply cannot be as useless as he was this season.

This will also have been an important lesson for Dubas on the capabilities and deficiencies of his roster as well. While he has been involved with this team for a number of years, this is his first season in full charge. We know his vision and approach differs from those before him, and he will now have a very good handle on what the Leafs have, and what they need.

I know a lot of people are thinking with their hearts today, but my head still says that we are on the right track to being a consistent contender for the next several years.
Yep, Game 6 was our moment squandered. Game 7 in Boston was never a good option.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Yes...Kadri.

People can complain about Babcock, Gardiner, Marleau or anyone else they want....none of them were eating popcorn while the games were being played. IMO, he should be done as a Leaf.

yeup. i fully agree

HolyCrap

Oct 2, 2015
Kadri, Nylander, Zaitsev, Hainsey, Gardiner, Brown, and Marleau will be shipped out. Nylander's bonus pay out on July 1st will make him attractive trade bait. I just hope Dubas is up to the job.

I really hope you’re right.

Reactions: ToneDog

HolyCrap

Oct 2, 2015
Yes...Kadri.

People can complain about Babcock, Gardiner, Marleau or anyone else they want....none of them were eating popcorn while the games were being played. IMO, he should be done as a Leaf.

Totally agree. If Kadri is back nextyear I will be upset. Toronto fans need to let management know they won’t be cheering for Kadri ever again.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad