Season Ticket Holder Discussion Thread: Pt 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fender

Jun 24, 2002
I too am becoming a tier 2 fan starting tomorrow. The email from my rep today titled “I’m here for you” straight up made me lol.

To be honest I wish I came to this decision a few years ago, but it was always “ the team will be better next year” every time renewal time rolled around just to be disappointed at the end of the season.

I hope the team truly turns it around for those that chose to stick it out. I’ll be cheering from my living room.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
I too am becoming a tier 2 fan starting tomorrow. The email from my rep today titled “I’m here for you” straight up made me lol.

To be honest I wish I came to this decision a few years ago, but it was always “ the team will be better next year” every time renewal time rolled around just to be disappointed at the end of the season.

I hope the team truly turns it around for those that chose to stick it out. I’ll be cheering from my living room.
what would it take for them to get you back? just simply win more? or is it all over for you?

I'm seeing a lot of people not renewing than I am seeing people renew

mullet

Aug 2, 2005
I also didn't renew. I did appreciate the pressure not to leave the "oilers family" but I resisted the 3 emails I received yesterday.

Reactions: Beerfish

poolparty98

Aug 6, 2017
I did not renew either. I wonder what the retention rate was this year. I thought it might be the perfect time to switch seats, but I resisted , and am not looking back.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
I still can't get over the Antoinette-ish "Let them watch practice."

Honestly practice isn’t anything to watch anyway. I’ve been to quite a few over the years, unless you coach or bring a kid to see his hockey heroes your really not getting anything out of it other than passing interest.

YEGman

Dec 21, 2009
Edmonton
The clock struck midnight (I was actually asleep) and I did not renew after 25 years. I called my rep yesterday and told him and he took it calmly even when I mentioned that I had had lunch the day before with a Jets' Season Ticket holder whose seats similar to mine were about 2/3 the price.

IBleedOil247

Aug 12, 2005
Edmonton
Wow - i am seeing a lot more "I Didn't" than "I Did" on this forum.

I hope this is the Wake Up call OEG needed to get this shit figured out. Enough is enough.

I love this team. I want nothing more than them to be successful, and to do this I truly believe this revolt is necessary.

Barrsy

May 14, 2017
Honestly practice isn’t anything to watch anyway. I’ve been to quite a few over the years, unless you coach or bring a kid to see his hockey heroes your really not getting anything out of it other than passing interest.
I think the point is that it’s reflective of what the organization is about, & has been for quite awhile.
And actually some diehards ( and others) do get quite a lot out of it and find it quite interesting. But of course, unless you are directly paying the freight, historically the OEG hasn’t had a lot of time for you.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
I think the point is that it’s reflective of what the organization is about, & has been for quite awhile.
And actually some diehards ( and others) do get quite a lot out of it and find it quite interesting. But of course, unless you are directly paying the freight, historically the OEG hasn’t had a lot of time for you.

I get his point. I was merely making a comment about practice in of itself, and said exactly that - it’s of interest.

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
Firm did not renew four gold seats held since 1979. The Oilers say that they were "surprised and disappointed". I doubt if we would ever hold them again.

I have exactly ZERO faith in this organization, at any level. But you gotta figure that people like you not renewing are a pretty big deal for the Oilers. You would assume that they will be doing whatever is possible to improve the on-ice product to get fans back. However the reason the Oilers are a joke of a franchise is precisely because they keep making bad decisions, so maybe not doing anything about this will just be yet another bad decision. I guess we'll find out.

I must admit, that the Holland hiring so far does look like he has full autonomy to do whatever he wants. If that continues, even if the choices Holland makes are bad, it is a step in the right direction.

Messrules11

6 Cups, elbows up.
Nov 23, 2018
I decided back in January not to renew. After 31 years someone else can support these millionaires. I’ll take my savings and jet to the Caribbean every year.

Compgod

Jun 22, 2015
I also didn't renew, there's just so many reasons not to renew. I have no faith in this management group.

I was less than pleased to see you couldn't renew your seats at the ticket relocation event as you have been able to in past seasons.

I truly hope there's a thousand or two tickets that don't end up being filled by season ticket holders.

RadDude

Dec 14, 2007
Add me to the list of people who did not renew, gave up my 2 lower bowl seats after 15 years. For the past few years I have been on the fence of renewing and at the last second I would bite the bullet hoping it would finally turn around.

It felt like finally breaking away from an unhappy relationship. I had second thoughts right up to the last hour, but woke up happy about my decision. They were great seats on the aisle, and it used to be fun and exciting... but lately they have been draining way too much money, carrying too much emotional drama, and there has been too many disappointing nights to stay committed any longer.

Don't get me wrong... I'll still keep an eye on the team and we can still be friends. If I get a call with free tickets I will still show up for the experience. But I look forward to spending my 15K in the upcoming years on new vacations and entertainment... maybe once in a while catch the team on the road if we both happen to be there, but I won't be spending money on team here at home.

Fender

Jun 24, 2002
what would it take for them to get you back? just simply win more? or is it all over for you?

I'm seeing a lot of people not renewing than I am seeing people renew

I think this will just come off as complaining, but since you asked....

I don’t think they will ever get me back to be honest. Like others have mentioned, I’ve considered not renewing for some time now.
I feel like I was taken for granted (or taken advantage of if that makes sense?). I know, I know what that sounds like, but I feel the team thought they had a bunch of lemmings for fans that will eat up whatever garbage they throw out on the ice, no matter the price.

The biggest issue for me was the financial commitment (I’m not rich and can’t write it off on taxes). The smugness of the team to consistently jack the price of the tickets over the years yet put a crappy product on the ice did it for me. So they didn’t raise the price this renewal. It took them this long to figure it out? That should have been done years ago!

Also, they didn’t give a crap about the secondary market until now for some reason. I lost money on the games I couldn’t go to over the years, but this year I lost a LOT of money on games I couldn't make - which seemed to be more often then not for my family due to work and life getting in the way. Either way, I should be able to get somewhat of my initial investment back if I sell my tickets. This year I had to sell tickets for less than 25% of what I paid for them on the ticket exchange. And not just once - this was a pretty common theme except for the big draw games. That math does not add up to me. To add the “cyber sale” b.s. on top of it just straight up pissed me off.

Another thing I found very odd. My rep only would email me once a year, basically to tell me what his/her phone number was if I needed to get a hold of them. That was pretty consistent during my 14 year tenure as a season ticket holder. This never really bothered me but reflecting on it now it probably should have. Never was called to see how things were, if i needed anything or offered me a damn thing for my patronage over the years, until about December of this last season where they all of a sudden started to “care”. Started getting multiple emails from them - my rep even offered to buy me a drink at the game (I didn’t take them up on it). Weird huh?

I also found the new perks to be lacklustre to be honest. 15% off food & beverages? Np - we will just jack the prices 15%! I can go to a practice? No I can’t - I have a job! Tour of the building? Don’t care!

And finally the on ice product...charging contender prices for a pretender roster...do I need to say more? My first season seats in Rexall were $22 each in 2005. We are a long way from that now. Edmonton is a blue collar town and we have our limits. I think the team has hit/passed it and people have had enough.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
I think this will just come off as complaining, but since you asked....

I don’t think they will ever get me back to be honest. Like others have mentioned, I’ve considered not renewing for some time now.
I feel like I was taken for granted (or taken advantage of if that makes sense?). I know, I know what that sounds like, but I feel the team thought they had a bunch of lemmings for fans that will eat up whatever garbage they throw out on the ice, no matter the price.

The biggest issue for me was the financial commitment (I’m not rich and can’t write it off on taxes). The smugness of the team to consistently jack the price of the tickets over the years yet put a crappy product on the ice did it for me. So they didn’t raise the price this renewal. It took them this long to figure it out? That should have been done years ago!

Also, they didn’t give a crap about the secondary market until now for some reason. I lost money on the games I couldn’t go to over the years, but this year I lost a LOT of money on games I couldn't make - which seemed to be more often then not for my family due to work and life getting in the way. Either way, I should be able to get somewhat of my initial investment back if I sell my tickets. This year I had to sell tickets for less than 25% of what I paid for them on the ticket exchange. And not just once - this was a pretty common theme except for the big draw games. That math does not add up to me. To add the “cyber sale” b.s. on top of it just straight up pissed me off.

Another thing I found very odd. My rep only would email me once a year, basically to tell me what his/her phone number was if I needed to get a hold of them. That was pretty consistent during my 14 year tenure as a season ticket holder. This never really bothered me but reflecting on it now it probably should have. Never was called to see how things were, if i needed anything or offered me a damn thing for my patronage over the years, until about December of this last season where they all of a sudden started to “care”. Started getting multiple emails from them - my rep even offered to buy me a drink at the game (I didn’t take them up on it). Weird huh?

I also found the new perks to be lacklustre to be honest. 15% off food & beverages? Np - we will just jack the prices 15%! I can go to a practice? No I can’t - I have a job! Tour of the building? Don’t care!

And finally the on ice product...charging contender prices for a pretender roster...do I need to say more? My first season seats in Rexall were $22 each in 2005. We are a long way from that now. Edmonton is a blue collar town and we have our limits. I think the team has hit/passed it and people have had enough.
thanks for the detailed reply!
nice to get a STH's perspective since I'll probably never afford them in my lifetime (unless I split them)

CanmoreMike

Feb 27, 2002
#YEG
This reeks of bull****. Nobody sold 30 games last year without taking a loss. The Oilers even had to sell their remaining seats at a %40 discount.

I sold all of my games for a profit the last 3 years except four games this year

A pre-season game we couldn't attend which I sold for a discount to a volume buyer.

Three games in 3rd week of February - neither could attend for various reasons. All were sold for $20 discounts or 75% of our cost.

We pick games we want to see first, post the rest, sell early and often and sort through remaining games to find ones we want to sell.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad