Season Over?

BackWithaVengeance

Jan 19, 2008
Germany
As a center for sure.

They are very close IMO as hockey players though. I might rank them right next to each other in rankings right now... though not totally sure. They have been within 3 slots of each other all year in my spreadsheet!

I mean, Mittelstadt would be consensus pick over Pettersson... but if a team wants a shot at a 1C I would feel Pettersson has more chance of being a 1st line player at the center position.

Amen. Pettersson is the guy I want on this team

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Going to have to go ~14-6-2 to get in to play-offs now.

Getting less than 80pts from here is more likely I reckon.

As for pts out by deadline:

Flyers now 3 out with 2 game before deadline.

Toronto 4pts ahead with 3 games before deadline.
Bruins 3pts ahead with 3 games before deadline.
Panthers 3pts ahead with 3 games before deadline.
Islanders 3pts ahead with 2 games before deadline.

If they are not a minimum of 5 pts out of Wildcard by deadline it will be a minor miracle.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
Going to have to go ~14-6-2 to get in to play-offs now.

Getting less than 80pts from here is more likely I reckon.

As for pts out by deadline:

Flyers now 3 out with 1 game before deadline.

Toronto 4pts ahead with 3 games before deadline.
Bruins 3pts ahead with 3 games before deadline.
Panthers 3pts ahead with 3 games before deadline.
Islanders 3pts ahead with 2 games before deadline.

If they are not a minimum of 5 pts out of Wildcard by deadline it will be a minor miracle.

I can't believe we got lapped by the Islanders lol. That's ridiculous. And embarrassing.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Devils are even close to passing us

In the end, with the awful defense, gross goaltending, weak 5 v5, and suspect coaching decisions and benchings, it's surprising we are even this close,

Imagine in the summer is someone said:

Mason's SV% will be .900
Neuvirth SV% will be .888

....and yet we would still be just a few points out of a playoff spot. I certainly did not see both goalies struggle so bad for so long. Early in the season, we bled great scoring chances against AND had the goalies let in weak goals. Disaster.

And with Hak trying to make us more defensive, we have become boring to watch again most games. Right back to the Berube years.

At this point, it would serve us better to keep losing even though when I watch, I want to win. I can't root to lose. My head knows we are better off to keep losing, but the heart wants to win.

Regardless, sell what we can this deadline, then get the hell to work on using expansion, and cap space to re-vamp our team for next year.

kelmitchell

Jun 11, 2013
Newark Delaware
In the end, with the awful defense, gross goaltending, weak 5 v5, and suspect coaching decisions and benchings, it's surprising we are even this close,

Mason's SV% will be .900

....and yet we would still be just a few points out of a playoff spot. I certainly did not see both goalies struggle so bad for so long. Early in the season, we bled great scoring chances against AND had the goalies let in weak goals. Disaster.

And with Hak trying to make us more defensive, we have become boring to watch again most games. Right back to the Berube years.

At this point, it would serve us better to keep losing even though when I watch, I want to win. I can't root to lose. My head knows we are better off to keep losing, but the heart wants to win.

Regardless, sell what we can this deadline, then get the hell to work on using expansion, and cap space to re-vamp our team for next year.

Dont worry i am rooting for us to lose out hard enough so nobody else has to :laugh:

Hurricane28

Angry Flyers STH/Weather Guy
Aug 22, 2012
South Jersey
Theres no way Hakstol is getting fired until at least after next season. Its just not realistic. We've always had a coaching carousel other than Lavi and that only lasted 4 years? Hextall wants to change that.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Theres no way Hakstol is getting fired until at least after next season. Its just not realistic. We've always had a coaching carousel other than Lavi and that only lasted 4 years? Hextall wants to change that.

Doesnt mean he should be stubborn at latch himself to an obvious failure.

I expect Hakstol gone before January 1st of 2018.

He sucks, he just needs more time to convince Hextall of how much he sucks.

BillDineen

Former Flyer / Extinct Dinosaur Advisor
Aug 9, 2009

Coaches on average last 2.4 yeas in the nhl.

BackToTheBrierePatch

Justice for Cricket
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire

Mason's SV% will be .900

the PP has covered up a lot of things this year. Of course the question Hextall needs to ask himself does this team pass the eye test compared to Toronto, Boston, NYI, Florida and now with Tampa surging.
I would guess the answer should be a resounding no.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
the PP has covered up a lot of things this year. Of course the question Hextall needs to ask himself does this team pass the eye test compared to Toronto, Boston, NYI, Florida and now with Tampa surging.
I would guess the answer should be a resounding no.

We barely look like an NHL team.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
When was the last time we looked like a legitimate playoff contender.
2011-12.
I'd rather we lose, draft better and Hextall feel free to move anyone he considers expendable.
Squeezing into the playoffs is fine for Toronto, but not the Flyers.

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
2011-12.
I'd rather we lose, draft better and Hextall feel free to move anyone he considers expendable.

Not making the playoffs is fine for Toronto, but not for the Flyers.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
In hockey, just making the playoffs is a loser's attitude.
Half the league makes the playoffs.
Winning in the playoffs is what "real" Flyer fans expect.

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008
2011-12.

I actually agree with you in this instance.

I'm all for tank if we're not legitimate contenders.

Grare

Registered Factor
Nov 15, 2013
Getting a good impact player is very important this draft. I'm all for the tank instead of getting slapped by the Caps 1st round again.

& we have some decisions regarding our core and age matching with prospects, along with this coach.. It will be interesting to see what happens'

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Almost certainly missing play-offs now.

Actually timed nicely in a weird way to ensure selling at deadline is obviously the way to go.

After last night 5pts out of wildcard spot... and 5pts out of 9th in East too, and 3pts behind Panthers in 10th who have a game in hand.

Even if the Flyers went ~14-6-2 for 93 points now they would still not have a great chance of making it.

Lose vs Pens and Flyers are likely on track for picking ~10th in draft.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad