Season Over?

ChiefWiggum

Dec 17, 2016
Newfoundland
Konecny out. Giroux and Voracek underwhelming. Mason/Neuvy inconsistent. Is it time to admit we are sellers and admit our current core isnt good enough up front or in net and hoping hire a better coach soon (see Claude Julien, Gerrard Gallant)

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
Eh, not so sure. They just won 4 out of the last seven since the three game losing streak, and have points in five out of the last seven. That being said, they haven't exactly looked good in those games. I don't think that Konecny being injured is all that impactful. Not a knock on him, but the team isn't that much better or worse with or without him.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Like the last four seasons, it primarily comes down to goalie play. A hot goalie can cover a multitude of sins

Second, whether some players can turn it around for the stretch run, Couts, Schenn are the most likely candidates, Weise playing like his last two seasons, MDZ realizing it's a contract year. Giroux is a longer shot b/c he probably needs the offseason to heal, same with Ghost.

Embiid

Off IR for now
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
Can't lose if you don't play

I say they forfeit the season and hit the greens....I mean 60 degree weather in Feb...doable :sarcasm:

Larry44

#FireTortsNOW
Mar 1, 2002
Konecny out. Giroux and Voracek underwhelming. Mason/Neuvy inconsistent. Is it time to admit we are sellers and admit our current core isnt good enough up front or in net and hoping hire a better coach soon (see Claude Julien, Gerrard Gallant)

Getting close to packing it in, despite clinging to a wildcard. They are also 7 points from picking in the top 5...

TDL is March 1. They have 8 games until then, nicely spaced out over 22 days so there's no excuse. They have a chance to salvage the homestand. Then the season will turn on the 3 game western swing. If they limp home for the Wash and Pitt games, Hexy will start dealing early....

https://www.nhl.com/flyers/schedule/2017-02-01/ET

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
It is for me. I have no interest in watching this team go up against Washington again in a playoff series. Let New York deal with them. I don't even care about a high pick either.

Flyerfan13

Sponsor
Nov 17, 2016
As much as I hate losing a top 5 pick this year would be huge for this rebuild...u can also pick up a player with that early 2nd rounder that may have fell out of the 1st...

Larry44

#FireTortsNOW
Mar 1, 2002
As much as I hate losing a top 5 pick this year would be huge for this rebuild...u can also pick up a player with that early 2nd rounder that may have fell out of the 1st...
Exactly. Look at the Jets. Jump from 6th pick to 2nd in the lottery IIRC, get Laine instead of whoever...

Plus add whatever other picks Hexy can get for Neuvirth/Mason, Streit, DelZotto, Schultz, Manning, Read, Weise, Vandevelde, Bellemare, Cousins.... Time for the Tank Commander to call for a Fire Sale.

Note that part of my post is ironic. Every time I call for a tank, they go on a friggin' 15 game winning streak and make the playoffs. :)

Grare

Registered Factor
Nov 15, 2013
Top 5 pick would be better than getting slapped in the 1st round again

Flyerfan13

Sponsor
Nov 17, 2016
I would rather pick 10-14 and trade away all the expiring contracts for picks than sqeek into the playoffs and lose in round 1 with what we have...

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014

We are definitely sellers.

Im about 75% sure we are done.

Giroux and the other core forwards have a lot of heart though and could go into desperation mode if they fall out of a playoff spot and put enough wins together, despite Haks incompetence, to squeak in.

Flyerfan13

Sponsor
Nov 17, 2016
I get that feeling also and possibly a huge opportunity to acquire more assets with not many sellers...

Hockeypete49

How you like me now!
Mar 22, 2009
South Jersey
Konecny out. Giroux and Voracek underwhelming.
Do any of you want to see this team get smoked in the 1st round again? Sell, Ron, sell. Call Poile and have him ask Laviolette if he wants the best player in the world. OK I am upset but this team has no identity and clearly needs some changes on ice.

Embiid

Off IR for now
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
Hak was supposed to establish an identity with this team yet they are all over the board and one of our more promising prospects ...Ghost is having an identity crisis. :(

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
You don't have to be truly awful to end up with a high draft pick. Tampa Bay is in 28th in the league, the last thing anyone wants is for them to score another A+ prospect. The Flyers are only 7 points clear but in 12th overall. Plenty of time for something to happen (continued awful play, Giroux injury, etc) to a true downward spiral to take place. Where would we be without the 10-game win streak?

usahockey22flyers

2 years away from being 2 years away
Nov 9, 2009
Philly
You don't have to be truly awful to end up with a high draft pick. Tampa Bay is in 28th in the league, the last thing anyone wants is for them to score another A+ prospect. The Flyers are only 7 points clear but in 12th overall. Plenty of time for something to happen (continued awful play, Giroux injury, etc) to a true downward spiral to take place. Where would we be without the 10-game win streak?

I often think about where we would be without the streak too.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
The plan should have been, and still SHOULD BE, to sell off all the UFA's if anyone wants them and replace them from within.

And if we make it, we make it. If we don't, we don't.

All while planting the seeds of trying to acquire a C and a top 4 Dman around expansion time.

trostol

Learn to swim, Learn to swim
Jan 30, 2012
R'lyeh
The plan should have been, and still SHOULD BE, to sell off all the UFA's if anyone wants them and replace them from within.

All while planting the seeds of trying to acquire a C and a top 4 Dman around expansion time.

agree 1000%

TCTC

Mar 25, 2013
I would be disappointed if Hextall can't trade at least one of MDZ/Streit for a decent pick.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP

Yep, yep, yep.

dats81

Jan 22, 2011
Carinthia, AUT
The season is not over. One thing about this team over the last few years is that everytime they reach the do-or-die mark, they somehow survive and win games they maybe should not win because it hurts their draft position.

Hextall does not appear to be a shortsighted man though. They should be sellers no matter how they play the next couple of weeks.
And realitically, they get smoked in the first round anyway if they make the playoffs.... with or without Mark Streit, MDZ or Michal Neuvirth. Doesn't matter.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad