Post-Game Talk: Season Over, Jets Lose 4-1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
There's a lot to like with the roster, but to be honest I've never liked what Dubois brings. That hand pass kind of sums him up as a player to me. Takes shortcuts. I dunno if moving Wheeler would do anything and I dunno if moving Schiefele makes any sense as he is still a good player. Hellebuyck was a non factor. I'm willing to give them another shot next year seeing as we were down many significant players due to injury.

First half Dubois was exactly what I thought we were getting when we acquired him. Unfortunately there is also second half Dubois.

I never bought into the reaction from a lot of posters about his famous last shift in Columbus. I was wrong. They were right. That shift showcased an aspect of Dubois that is part of the package. Chevy needs to get the best return he can on him.

But the Jets underlying problems preceded Dubois. They might even be what created the necessity for that trade in the first place. Where exactly Scheifele fits into that picture we don't know, but he is a part of it somehow.

Going into his pending UFA season, he will probably either refuse to extend or demand too much of both $$ and term. So unless he surprises by signing a relatively team friendly contract, he needs to go too.

Helle is in exactly the same boat as Scheifele. If he stays he will only make our draft positions worse. By the time we are rebuilt/retooled he will no longer be an elite goalie. So - IF - both Scheifele and Dubois are gone, he needs to go too.

Your willingness to give them another shot next year may be commendable for loyalty, but at some point we have to stop saying one more shot, one more year and face facts. This core needs major change.

Yup, he has to try to maximize the value for those players. Hard to do that if your coach is publicly calling them out.

He needs to take the comments to heart, but he also needs to be the voice of calm.

Slimy Sculpin

Dec 29, 2013
Quit on Columbus, quit on the Jets, notice a pattern here….
Yes, there may be something there. I'm hoping, though, in the Jets case, he's battling some sort of nagging injury. If not, and since his dad is on the Moose staff and his mom is here too, I'm trying to imagine what Sunday dinner at the parents' place is like..........

• Wow
Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I agree with this sentiment except I’d offer him up at next years trade deadline so wheeler has a chance for a cup and the jets can get something of value in return

Yes, if he wants that shot with another team and if another team wants him. I guess that will depend on how he is playing next season.

Jets

All hat, no cattle.
Sponsor
Oct 23, 2010
Winnipeg
Bowness doesnt need the headache and has looked burnt out and tired ever since he missed time with COVID early in the season.

However, it would be sick irony if he up and quit now that the team is down and struggling. When the going gets tough you have no response. That’s exactly what he just grilled them about in his postgame tirade.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I think I'm leaning more towards that he needs to address it in a more candid manner than is typical for him. Admit that there's issues that need to be addressed and acknowledge what Bowness said, not just outright dismiss it like he did with Scheifele's comments from the locker cleanout last year.

I remain skeptical that this kind of thing negatively affects a player's value in any substantial manner. Most teams probably already had a good idea of what was going on with the Jets roster. You might have a team or two that tries being opportunistic thinking that they're going to get a bargain but teams that have legitimate interest will negotiate based on their own assessments.
It's also not like Bowness said anything that was a secret to anyone with eyes and ears.

I think that if Chevy doesn't pour a little oil on the water things could get out of hand. He needs to address the issues with action, not words.

Reactions: WolfgangPuck

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Yup, he has to try to maximize the value for those players. Hard to do that if your coach is publicly calling them out.

He needs to take the comments to heart, but he also needs to be the voice of calm.
If Chevy remains employed it’s all we need to know, accountability is nothing but a word if it only applies to the men on the ice.

We will also see if this team wants to build a contender or if they are willing to putter along in mediocrity, and chasing that first round championship banner.

Depends on what Chevy does.

Should he be on the hot seat? Yes.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Yeah, I wonder if Wheeler is or was in the same boat as Maurice. Wanted out but can't just pack his bags and leave.

That's a thought.
Many here seem to think Wheeler is the problem, or part of it. IDK, but I've never thought of this before.

PaulPooley

Nov 18, 2018
Agree with everything you said other than the Morrissey comments. He’s number one d-man on almost any team that doesn’t employ Makar or Karlsson. Morrissey and Hellebuyck are the only real studs left on the team. Fortunately, the likes of Connor, Scheifele, etc still have gaudy enough numbers to fool other GMs on the trade market.
I’ve kind of changed my opinion on Helly. I no longer see him as a clutch playoff goaltender. We all understand that defensive play is not the team’s forte, but the guy just lets in too many back breaking goals, often on his first shot faced.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I think I'm leaning more towards that he needs to address it in a more candid manner than is typical for him. Admit that there's issues that need to be addressed and acknowledge what Bowness said, not just outright dismiss it like he did with Scheifele's comments from the locker cleanout last year.

I remain skeptical that this kind of thing negatively affects a player's value in any substantial manner. Most teams probably already had a good idea of what was going on with the Jets roster. You might have a team or two that tries being opportunistic thinking that they're going to get a bargain but teams that have legitimate interest will negotiate based on their own assessments.
It's also not like Bowness said anything that was a secret to anyone with eyes and ears.

I think he needs to be measured. By that I mean he should acknowledge the disappointment and indicate changes will be made but not everything in the org is cluster f***.

Bowness threw everyone under the bus but not everyone deserved to be thrown under the bus. We had some great individual performances this past year and we also had stretches of excellent team play and buy in. There definitely is going to have to be some mending of fences with regards to the players who we want to keep in the fold. It's hard to go back into a room with a coach who throws that kind of tirade even if a lot of what needed to be said was said.

White Out 902

I'm usually right.
Aug 17, 2017
Cape Breton Island
I’ve kind of changed my opinion on Helly. I no longer see him as a clutch playoff goaltender. We all understand that defensive play is not the team’s forte, but the guy just lets in too many back breaking goals, often on his first shot faced.

I noticed in hockey there seems to be a noticeable drag between trends that appear on the ice and the local fans notice it. Then the media locally, and then the media at large across the nation picks up on it. Right now, Helley is still considered and elite vezina guy in the league and frankly the local media. But many fans are starting to see the cracks forming and his trending downwards. Really now is the best time to move him, this off season. I said it before and I'll repeat it, if Helley was willing to resign at his current AV or even 7 or 8 million I think that's fine. But he wont want that. He really thinks, as do a lot of people, he's worth double digit AAV in millions per year. The absolute coup de gras for this teams spiraling into the toilet would be to resign him for 10 or 11 or shit even 12 million AAV per year.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Bowness doesnt need the headache and has looked burnt out and tired ever since he missed time with COVID early in the season.

However, it would be sick irony if he up and quit now that the team is down and struggling. When the going gets tough you have no response. That’s exactly what he just grilled them about in his postgame tirade.

I lean toward the idea that he sent a message to Chipman and Chevy - though it was also in the heat of the moment.

I think he wants to see some changes made or he won't be back.

I'm trying to recall the deal when he was hired. Was it 2 years or was it 1 year with an option for a 2nd? If an option whose option was it, his or the team's?

Reactions: hn777 and Jets

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I lean toward the idea that he sent a message to Chipman and Chevy - though it was also in the heat of the moment.

I think he wants to see some changes made or he won't be back.

I'm trying to recall the deal when he was hired. Was it 2 years or was it 1 year with an option for a 2nd? If an option whose option was it, his or the team's?

It's a two year contract with an option for a third year. Not sure if the option is exercised by him or the club.

None

Feb 22, 2012
I think he needs to be measured. By that I mean he should acknowledge the disappointment and indicate changes will be made but not everything in the org is cluster f***.

Bowness threw everyone under the bus but not everyone deserved to be thrown under the bus. We had some great individual performances this past year and we also had stretches of excellent team play and buy in. There definitely is going to have to be some mending of fences with regards to the players who we want to keep in the fold. It's hard to go back into a room with a coach who throws that kind of tirade even if a lot of what needed to be said was said.

Yeah, I just want Chevy to say enough that we can actually hold him accountable to his own words. No more word vomit that finishes with how much of a process everything is. Accountability starts at the top and I think the Jets organization has really struggled with holding people accountable in their roles both on the ice and off.

As for Bowness at least he can be held accountable to what he's said. He isn't trying to play diplomacy anymore. I doubt the players are in the dark as to who he was talking about but the media speculation is going to follow each and every one of them. Deserving of criticism or not I think that's where Bowness and Cheveldayoff probably need to get out in front of it and calm down the speculation for the sake of the players who are going to be here going forward.

Last edited:

winnipegger

Dec 17, 2013
First half Dubois was exactly what I thought we were getting when we acquired him. Unfortunately there is also second half Dubois.

I never bought into the reaction from a lot of posters about his famous last shift in Columbus. I was wrong. They were right. That shift showcased an aspect of Dubois that is part of the package. Chevy needs to get the best return he can on him.

But the Jets underlying problems preceded Dubois. They might even be what created the necessity for that trade in the first place. Where exactly Scheifele fits into that picture we don't know, but he is a part of it somehow.

Going into his pending UFA season, he will probably either refuse to extend or demand too much of both $$ and term. So unless he surprises by signing a relatively team friendly contract, he needs to go too.

Helle is in exactly the same boat as Scheifele. If he stays he will only make our draft positions worse. By the time we are rebuilt/retooled he will no longer be an elite goalie. So - IF - both Scheifele and Dubois are gone, he needs to go too.

Your willingness to give them another shot next year may be commendable for loyalty, but at some point we have to stop saying one more shot, one more year and face facts. This core needs major change.

Say what you want about Schief but he played with poor line mates and still scored 40 goals. He's still a top tier centre, and is 5 years younger than wheeler. Wheeler is the only remaining Thrasher on the team. If you want to change the core it starts with him. If you want a full tear down rebuild you trade scheif and helle for 1st round picks and prospects and we don't see the playoffs for at least 2 years. I don't understand why that is better than keeping the good players you have. Just shiny new thing syndrome. Wheeler needs to go though just for a culture change.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Yeah, I just want Chevy to say enough that we can actually hold him accountable to his own words. No more word salads that finish with how much of a process everything is. Accountability starts at the top and I think the Jets organization has really struggled with holding people accountable in their roles both on the ice and off.

As for Bowness at least he can be held accountable to what he's said. He isn't trying to play diplomacy anymore. I doubt the players are in the dark as to who he was talking about but the media speculation is going to follow each and every one of them. Deserving of criticism or not I think that's where Bowness and Cheveldayoff probably need to get out in front of it and calm down the speculation for the sake of the players who are going to be here going forward.

Yes clearly I think he needs to state a clear direction for the summer that we can hold him to.

Reactions: None

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Yeah, I just want Chevy to say enough that we can actually hold him accountable to his own words. No more word salads that finish with how much of a process everything is. Accountability starts at the top and I think the Jets organization has really struggled with holding people accountable in their roles both on the ice and off.

From Chevy it will be a word salad. I don't think his accountability rests on his pressers. Chevy can't say the kinds of things you seem to want AND calm the speculation at the same time.

He will characterize Bones' comments as heat of the moment. I hope he will, at the same time, acknowledge the need for change. It will be understated though. It is Chevy.

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
Unlike all of you, this is actually the outcome I have been expecting and hoping for all year. I wanted a blowup last summer. There are players on this team that I felt unworthy of redemption. The first half of the season had me quite stressed, but eventually the lack of character in our core shined through. Ideally, they would have missed the playoffs. I will never forgive Nashville for giving up when they still had an outside shot at the post-season. Shit, that one trade where they gave away El Nino to us was probably the difference between us making it and not them. But an early exit, with barely a whimper with their backs to a wall was almost as good.

It is to be hoped the Top. Men. will see the folly of allowing the team as constructed to continue to see the light of day and make major changes to the core. Scheifele, PLD, Pionk, Connor, Helly have all let this team down at critical times this year and I hope I can bid them all a not so fond farewell before next season starts. Not gonna hold my breath though.

Also, good on Bowness for his scathing outburst but there's been what I think is a lot of valid criticism directed his way over the course of the year. I realize he was a last minute placeholder when Trotz grew tired of teasing us but he should be out the door, too. He couldn't cure what ails this bunch and I don't think his approach is suited for guiding a rebuild. Nice guy, straight shooter but that ain't enough.

Finally, please get rid of Chevy. I don't care if he has the toughest GM job in the league, the results just haven't been there. Sure, maybe the next guy will be worse, but Chipman can't look at it from that perspective. He's losing fans and needs to send a message of hope for the future, instead of veiled threats.
It wasn’t the one I was hoping for, but it was definitely the one I had expected.

Reactions: Stumbledore

Brain Little

Curtain jerker, forum lurker
Nov 14, 2019
Parts unknown
It wasn’t the one I was hoping for, but it was definitely the one I had expected.

1682712190783.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad