Post-Game Talk: Season Over, Jets Lose 4-1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
What a bullshit way to finish off a bullshit season. I hope big changes are coming, f*** off Wheeler & Scheifele. See you all at the draft.

Bye Dubois. Bye mark. Bye Blake.

Time to rebuild

Can't include Wheeler in this sentiment, IMO. He has just gotten old. I don't think he quit.

And he is not going anywhere. At least I certainly hope he is not because moving out his contract would cost valuable assets.

Let him play out the string and retire as a Jet. Remember him fondly when he is gone. For all his warts, he has earned that.

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011
Can't include Wheeler in this sentiment, IMO. He has just gotten old. I don't think he quit.

And he is not going anywhere. At least I certainly hope he is not because moving out his contract would cost valuable assets.

Let him play out the string and retire as a Jet. Remember him fondly when he is gone. For all his warts, he has earned that.

Yeah I have no problem with Wheels finishing it up here as long as he's on the third line mostly...

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Chance of being traded

Dubois 95 percent
Scheif 75 percent
Wheeler 50 percent cuz that's probably how much retention it takes (prob best to keep him his last year)

If retention would spring loose a return why not do it?
Probably wouldn't though. It would just reduce the asset required to move him.
OTOH, he might bring a return at the TD. If not then just let him retire as a Jet.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
If retention would spring loose a return why not do it?
Probably wouldn't though. It would just reduce the asset required to move him.
OTOH, he might bring a return at the TD. If not then just let him retire as a Jet.

Ownership may show loyalty to Wheeler and move him out if that is what he wishes. I think eating one year is more acceptable then it was to eat two.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
What a strange season that was...

A common theme since our last playoff meeting with Vegas is that this team just gives up. No pushback, as Bones said. When the going gets tough, this team just folds like a cheap tent. Game 5 of the WCF in 2018. Game 6 of the series against the Blues in 2019. Last night's performance.

Maybe it happens to every team...but Florida, Tampa and the Isles all managed to dig deep and win on the brink.

When we're up against the wall, it's always a disappointment.

This^
Over and over.
I've never been in the room so I can't say it is something "in the room". But this team has lacked heart for years.

Funny thing is (at least to me) they had heart and guts in the '15 PO, despite being swept. Missed the PO in 16 & 17. Went on a good run in 18 but it ended with that lack of heart and that has been repeated each year since.

I'm ready for major change.

robertocarlos

Sep 19, 2014
I loved Bowness' retirement speech last night. Paul Maurice saw the same thing last year and walked away. Bowness is doing the same. The Leadership core doesn't care anymore and wants out.

Wheeler, Scheifele, PLD, Connor, Helle...It's time to cash them out and restart.
"Everyone"!

robertocarlos

Sep 19, 2014
Bones and rebuild don't go hand in hand so if he stays expect minimal changes and some underwhelming free agent pick ups. Other than PLD and Schmidt moving on you'll probably see the same cast of characters next year with the same results
"Tonight's attendance is 10,500".

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
How most teams go out of the playoffs....

cats-cat.gif

How the Jets go out of the playoffs....

tumblr_n5qytwHWJJ1t4iob6o1_500.gif

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Cleanout day will be spicy after what Bowness said. I'm not sure how the players could possibly pretend it was nothing.

I'll be interested in hearing Chevy's state of the franchise as well because last offseason he completely downplayed the players' comments as heat of the moment emotion. Will he do the same of Bowness' comments?

Yes, he will. He pretty much has to, publicly.
But then he needs to get to work. There's a lot to be done before the draft.

Reactions: surixon

WpgSteve

Nov 5, 2018
I thought the team fought hard from the start of the series until the game where Scheifele got injured.

I agree that they had given up last night.In fairness, I had given up too.

mondo3

Jun 4, 2011
Anaheim

Let him play out the string and retire as a Jet. Remember him fondly when he is gone. For all his warts, he has earned that

I agree with this sentiment except I’d offer him up at next years trade deadline so wheeler has a chance for a cup and the jets can get something of value in return

None

Feb 22, 2012
Yes, he will. He pretty much has to, publicly.
But then he needs to get to work. There's a lot to be done before the draft.

I think I'm leaning more towards that he needs to address it in a more candid manner than is typical for him. Admit that there's issues that need to be addressed and acknowledge what Bowness said, not just outright dismiss it like he did with Scheifele's comments from the locker cleanout last year.

Yup, he has to try to maximize the value for those players. Hard to do that if your coach is publicly calling them out.

I remain skeptical that this kind of thing negatively affects a player's value in any substantial manner. Most teams probably already had a good idea of what was going on with the Jets roster. You might have a team or two that tries being opportunistic thinking that they're going to get a bargain but teams that have legitimate interest will negotiate based on their own assessments.
It's also not like Bowness said anything that was a secret to anyone with eyes and ears.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad