Post-Game Talk: Season Over.... errr.. PREseason over.

Bardof425*

One thing stood out tonight and stood out aganist Vancouver too.

Our Ds is really not a factor in our offensive game at all. Kopitar scores that goal due to that pass from Doughty. Carter scores that goal due to the pass from the blueline (could have been a forward on the point though), Hank Sedin scores that first goal due to the play by Edler, and so forth and so forth and so forth. On a shift by shift basis these teams attack as 5 man units, and the plays that opening things up more often than not comes directly from Ds or with a D being part of the chain of events. Sometimes its the first assist or the second for goals or direct scoring chances.

I am not going to say that its a disappointment, because I wasn't expecting much. But its pretty obvious that our blueline just is not capable of playing a strong two way game in the NHL. At least with MDZ on the right side, they are very weak at making high caliber plays offensively which quite frankly is a requirement for a good blueline in the NHL today.

All stronger offensive teams in this league build their offensive games around units of which a very strong offensive minded D or two are an integral part. We just don't get that. Besides some headless attempts to rush the puck, after 6 pre-season games, I just can't picture one great offensive play from our Ds lol. That is pretty bad.

Neither do we get the mid-level offensive plays from our D's. Staal has been solid, but McD, Girardi and Moore are just not very smart out there with the puck. Especially two players like Girardi and McD needs to be leaders out there, when they chicken out and just throw the puck away time after time guys like John Moore (who has been quite awful all camp) will follow. McD just got himself a pretty good contract, but he is playing 5th D hockey out there.

BTW, Connor Allen is making a case for himself. I can only speak for my self, but I am a hard time making an argument that he hasn't been a top 6 D for us so far. I am not saying that he should play on opening night. For several diffrent reasons, but i think it deserves to be pointed out that he probably would rank in the middle of the group if we sat down and evaluated our D's play this pre-season.

It's pre-season. I'm fairly confident that Connor Allen does not belong in our top six. You should know better than to judge veterans based on pre-season games.

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
NJ dumps Barch to FLA. if the Rangers wanted to move Asham there was a chance I would think. meh

TankLarkin

Will Cuylle is Ready.
Mar 3, 2012
Rochester, NY
Rick Nash and Brad Richards
2 hyped up Good Ole Canadian Boys (one signed as a Free agent mercenary and one that cost us multiple assets in years of good drafting and homegrown players) that are making $7,800,000 (#12 in the NHL) & $9,000,000 (#8 in the NHL) respectively this year to play hockey in New York City.
Together they combine for a caphit of $14.466.667 of $64.3 M. Or 22,5% of the available cap space (Each player has an average ~$2,5).
They had better put up a helluva lot better play than the crap they have displayed this abysmal preseason or they are gonna get run outta town with torches, pitchforks and all.

very well said. If they play this way during opening road trip look for MSG crowd on Oct 28 to have those pitchforks and torches at the ready. Could get A-Rod ugly for both really fast.

Bardof425*

Yea guys Mashinster was the problem lol the mere fact you pin 4th liners with the team issues how pathetic this place has become

Nash looked like he was in battle of the blades the way he skated figure 8 all over and never got a shot thru to the net

Richards looked God Aweful enough said

Kreider looked like he was just waiting to be sent down never at all did he look this bad before then finally last night he had 2 good shifts and now people love him again

Asham looked like he wanted to be Nash with all his fancy skating he barely finished any hits and never fought

Dorset is what he is a light weight version of Prust nothing more

Hank was GOD AWE FULLhe looked horrible in every game played and needs to rebound quickly

but oh yea a fourth liner player took a double minor in the preseaon trying to defend a teammate lets end his career and have him drawn and quartered

Some of you guys need to watch and read hockey for dummies and really get a clue

Dorsett didn't play and he's a better hockey player than Prust. Mash did the right thing and he has no business being on this team. Also, Kreider had a good game not a good shift. Let's not pretend that every time Jonathan Toews hits the ice he plays well. CK had a few do nothing shifts but everyone does. Plus anytime you are saddled with Brian Boyle as your center you are shorthanded in the offensive zone.

16 To Stanley*

very well said. If they play this way during opening road trip look for MSG crowd on Oct 28 to have those pitchforks and torches at the ready. Could get A-Rod ugly for both really fast.

Could get A-Rod ugly. hahahahah

When was the last time you were at a Rangers game. Half the fans are corporate guys that don't even know one player on the ice.

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
Eh people may not agree but there are a lot of things that the Rangers are doing that I like. Their breakout is more efficient, their speed is better, the D is supporting the forwards a lot better and getting involved, their movement in the offensive zone in general has been better....the defensive zone coverage has been spotty at best and Lundqvist is not playing well (way too deep in net) but it's preseason and there's still work to do.

The most concerning part is finishing their offensive chances, but again, I find it quite difficult to get too worked up over preseason results, especially when they were on a long road trip like this with the roster constantly being mixed up

I didn't watch the third but for the first two periods I thought things were pretty even between the two teams and it wasn't like last year where you watch the Rangers defend for huge chunks of time and it feels like they never have the puck

I agree with you Lev, another thing I like is that they are really focusing on getting the puck back to the points and getting quick shots off and on net, even strength. While it hasn't paid huge dividends in the preseason, it will sooner or later. It's a good habit to get into. They need to work on the timing from the forwards in getting to the front of the net and in the goalies face and that will come in time as well

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
Gabs knows how to play on a team... Nash only knows how to play by himself....

This will change, I am confident in that.... but it is going to take more than 2 seasons... The guy just spent several season in which he was the only guy who could do anything... What do you expect? overnight adapatation does not exist

Gaborik was refusing to do anything to help the system before he got traded, it was embarrassing. So I have to disagree

16 To Stanley*

are those the guys yelling "Potvin Sucks?"

Did i say no long-term fans go to game, no....

But it won't be 20,000 people yelling at them.

It will be maybe a handful.

I've had season tickets for the last 10 years, the attitude at the garden has changed quite a bit since then and i'm sure even more so to the holders who have been there since the 70's, 80's, early 90's.

TankLarkin

Will Cuylle is Ready.
Mar 3, 2012
Rochester, NY
Did i say no long-term fans go to game, no....

But it won't be 20,000 people yelling at them.

It will be maybe a handful.

I've had season tickets for the last 10 years, the attitude at the garden has changed quite a bit since then and i'm sure even more so to the holders who have been there since the 70's, 80's, early 90's.

understood. I've been going to 3-4 games a year since 80s (as I live in Rochester) and have seen the corporate creep as well. Just saying there's gotta be a little life left in the 200s and 400s. I'll be down for opener and I'll start it myself if 16 million Dollar Men arrive home with the stats they produced in preseason.

DudMan28

Jan 30, 2013
Yea guys Mashinster was the problem lol t

Nash looked like he was in battle of the blades the way he skated figure 8 all over and never got a shot thru to the net

Richards looked God Aweful enough said

Kreider looked like he was just waiting to be sent down never at all did he look this bad before then finally last night he had 2 good shifts and now people love him again

Asham looked like he wanted to be Nash with all his fancy skating he barely finished any hits and never fought

Dorset is what he is a light weight version of Prust nothing more

Hank was GOD AWE FULLhe looked horrible in every game played and needs to rebound quickly

but oh yea a fourth liner player took a double minor in the preseaon trying to defend a teammate lets end his career and have him drawn and quartered

Some of you guys need to watch and read hockey for dummies and really get a clue

There was absolutely nothing wrong with the hit on Bickel. Im all for sticking up for teammates but it was a solid hit and to try and go after Nolan was just dumb.

Last edited by a moderator:

Clown Fiesta

Aug 15, 2005
Montana
There was absolutely nothing wrong with the hit on Bickel. Im all for sticking up for teammates but it was a solid hit and to try and go after Nolan was just dumb.

Mash knows his best chance to make this team is to fight, but he should learn to pick his spots better.

Hypothetically speaking, good hit or not if the other team wants to play physical you try to stop it. Can't sit there and let guys like Nolan pound on your D all night. Waiting until someone throws a dirty hit is a poor plan.

DudMan28

Jan 30, 2013
Hypothetically speaking, good hit or not if the other team wants to play physical you try to stop it. Can't sit there and let guys like Nolan pound on your D all night. Waiting until someone throws a dirty hit is a poor plan.

Trying to fight someone after every big hit is an even worse plan. Hartnell laid a big hit on someone in the Flyers game and I believe Dorsett went over to him and let him know that **** wasn't going to fly anymore. He didn't need to drop the gloves, but let him know that if you pull that **** again something is going to happen.

I like Mash trying to stick up for his teammate. Im just saying the way he went about it was poorly planned. Even if Nolan did fight, Mash was looking at an extra 2 minutes for instigating.

Clown Fiesta

Aug 15, 2005
Montana
Trying to fight someone after every big hit is an even worse plan. Hartnell laid a big hit on someone in the Flyers game and I believe Dorsett went over to him and let him know that **** wasn't going to fly anymore. He didn't need to drop the gloves, but let him know that if you pull that **** again something is going to happen.

I like Mash trying to stick up for his teammate. Im just saying the way he went about it was poorly planned. Even if Nolan did fight, Mash was looking at an extra 2 minutes for instigating.

I don't recall saying every big hit...

16 To Stanley*

understood. I've been going to 3-4 games a year since 80s (as I live in Rochester) and have seen the corporate creep as well. Just saying there's gotta be a little life left in the 200s and 400s. I'll be down for opener and I'll start it myself if 16 million Dollar Men arrive home with the stats they produced in preseason.

Trust me, I absolutely despise it, but it is what it is.

The first round of the playoffs last year sounded like it was a middle of the season games.

The "fans" at the garden have lost their flare.

The only time in the past couple of years when it was really rocking was during the later games of the series' against Washington, Ottawa, etc. The game 7 against Washington was fantastic.

But the earlier games and especially regular season games, most fans seem to be a step above asleep.

Drives me insane, but with the prices they are charging these days, what can you expect.

The Sweetness

Jul 15, 2010
Stockholm
Is any1 else ok with this season being a bad one? I wouldn't mind a top 10 pick to compliment the guys we have now and will have in the near future especially assuming it'll be a guy who can score and take over games a little bit offensively starting within 2 years (as opposed to our later 1st rounders and picks who always take 3+ years).

This team desperately could use a Tarasenko right now. Not an endictment of the McI draft I just mean we could use a shot at a talented scorer in the draft. I know McI had a poor preseason but I'm looking forward to him hitting his stride and starting to play next year. Especially if we let Girardi go which is a possibility. I'm not actually convinced he'll be ready next year but I am hopeful. Hopefully Skjei takes a jump with added responsibility and it looks like Allen is going to slot into a spot next year if we need him which rules.

So D wise we're golden it's just the offense which has been sad at best and this is the cheapest way to fix it (which is important with our cap right now. Guys like JT, Kreider, Fasth and Lindberg will hopefully bring a wave of offense with them as well.)
We aren't in rebuilding mode. Having a poor season could mean not being able to resign Lundqvist, which we be disastrous.

abev

Sep 30, 2005
NY
www.fakepuppy.com

There was nothing wrong with the hit on Bickel.

There was nothing wrong with Mashinter going after Nolan.

There was everything wrong with Nolan acting like what-did-I-do Avery style. You want to lay big hits? Great. But don't try to be a physical player and then not have the stones to back it up.

Unpredictable1

Jan 27, 2008
Alberta

There was everything wrong with Nolan acting like what-did-I-do Avery style. You want to lay big hits? Great. But don't try to be a physical player and then not have the stones to back it up.

Absolutely. Some just don't get it that hockey is a gritty, tough sport no matter how much finesse you try to put into it. It's part of the game.

Go watch tennis if you don't like the rough stuff.

Chalk me up as one who didn't put much weight into the preseason or the record we finished with. I think AV experimented with a lot of things and tried to see the most of his players that he's still learning their tendencies. Bring on the regular season, get well soon Hags and Cally.

Blue Blooded

Most people rejected his message
Oct 25, 2010
Stockholm
Hey, what did you think of Stralman on that first goal?

He got schooled, no question about it.

It happens to every defenceman from time to time. Would Girardi have handled that particular situation better? Probably.

I still prefer the defenceman that allows 11% less shots on goal against.

To evaluate a player's true value you cannot get bogged down into individual situations, you need to look at the whole picture.

But he sure got schooled by Kopitar there, I'm not denying that.

Also, I'm curious why you bring up Strålman when there wasn't even a hint of mentioning him in the post you quoted. I was talking about the Nash/Hagelin chemistry.

Ail

Based and Rangerspilled.
Nov 13, 2009
Boomerville

Blame the NHL. Nolan was rewarded by giving his team a PP. He would have been an idiot to react to Mashinter when he knew he would be penalized. Mashinter handi-capped his team for being upset with a clean hit. Stupid.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad