Post-Game Talk: Season Over.... errr.. PREseason over.

5 4 Fighting

Registered snoozer
Feb 13, 2013
Bk all day
1 season and Nash is on my **** list. 44 points, half of them worthless....he's a lazy player who feels a sense of entitlement with the puck.....he's not a superstar, thick headed people are the worst, he will try that same garbage deke until he scores, if it works 1/50 times, it still works right Ricky? The guys name should have been sticky, cuz he looks like a hot, sticky, piece of fecal matter out there,

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
1 season and Nash is on my **** list. 44 points, half of them worthless....he's a lazy player who feels a sense of entitlement with the puck.....he's not a superstar, thick headed people are the worst, he will try that same garbage deke until he scores, if it works 1/50 times, it still works right Ricky? The guys name should have been sticky, cuz he looks like a hot, sticky, piece of fecal matter out there,

Maybe we should just set a player price limit at this point. Seems like the more guys make the worse they are.

As a Rangers fan what else am I supposed to think? The proof is on the ice.

darko

Feb 16, 2009
From limited viewing I've really liked what I've see from our younger guys. Miller, Hrivik, Fast looked good. Lindberg was OK. Allen was impressive.

Fanned On It

Dec 20, 2011
New York
he looks like he did last year nothign has really changed. I mean maybe i misse dit but did he make one clean pass during the whole preseason. Maybe he has reached his limit, i knew giving him a 9 year deal was crazy

Yes, you did miss it. Apparently you didn't watch the game against the Canucks where Richards made at least 4 high quality passes.

I find it hard to believe that a 32 year old (33?) has "reached his limit." It seems to be more of a confidence or head-issue than anything. He's a cerebral player and right now he's being too cerebral in a negative way. Sometimes players can't get out of those mind-funks.

Fanned On It

Dec 20, 2011
New York

Did you not enjoy Nash in the regular season last season? I did. He was fun to watch and we won some games.

BBKers

Jan 9, 2006
Bialystok, Poland
Nash when he's on is fun. Nash from April until now is probably the most disgusting living thing.

Rick Nash and Brad Richards
2 hyped up Good Ole Canadian Boys (one signed as a Free agent mercenary and one that cost us multiple assets in years of good drafting and homegrown players) that are making $7,800,000 (#12 in the NHL) & $9,000,000 (#8 in the NHL) respectively this year to play hockey in New York City.
Together they combine for a caphit of $14.466.667 of $64.3 M. Or 22,5% of the available cap space (Each player has an average ~$2,5).
They had better put up a helluva lot better play than the crap they have displayed this abysmal preseason or they are gonna get run outta town with torches, pitchforks and all. They are looking more & more like the core definition of the previous relaxed yet underachieving country club atmosphere that prevailed pre Lockout 1. I could not give two cents who makes the team as an enforcer, 13th fwd or 8th D cuz that has very little influence on the result and the end product. These guys need to bring their A game. NOW. All year. Or get ousted and fast.

BBKers

Jan 9, 2006
Bialystok, Poland
I never thought I'd miss Gaborik
I miss Brad Isbister, Aaron Voros and Marcel Hossa right now. That is how bad it is. But let us see 20 games into the season first when all are back and system is implemented. If this prevails you gotta believe that Mr Sather at long last will be getting the heat big time. Hopefully not gonna happen tho. Well otoh ...:amazed:

Blue Blooded

Most people rejected his message
Oct 25, 2010
Stockholm
I never thought I'd miss Gaborik

I don't at all. Even when he is scoring he isn't involved enough in the play. I know it is a part of why he can score so much, but you pay a premium for goals and 40g scoring Nash is a lot more valuable than 40g scoring Gaborik.

BBKers

Jan 9, 2006
Bialystok, Poland
I don't at all. Even when he is scoring he isn't involved enough in the play. I know it is a part of why he can score so much, but you pay a premium for goals and 40g scoring Nash is a lot more valuable than 40g scoring Gaborik.

Nash potted 40 in 2008/2009 for Columbus
Not really been close since

Gaborik had 42 in 2007/2008 in Minny. He also had 38 in 65 games played in 2005/2006 that should get honorable mention. In New York he had two very good years in 2009-2010 and 2011-2012 potting 42 and 41 goals respectively. He also adapted quite nicely to stoneage hockey defensively, albeit gaffs and off games last year in particular.

But Nash is a one-timer, Gaborik is a consistent 40 goal guy

Appeareth now Mr 40 goal Nash and I will gladly eat crow.

5 4 Fighting

Registered snoozer
Feb 13, 2013
Bk all day
Completely agree BBK, Nash can't hold Gaborik's jockstrap offensively. Gabby is a better shooter and passer, also higher IQ. Only thing Nash does better is dangle, and spin.

Blue Blooded

Oct 25, 2010
Stockholm
Nash potted 40 in 2008/2009 for Columbus
Not really been close since

Gaborik had 42 in 2007/2008 in Minny. He also had 38 in 65 games played in 2005/2006 that should get honorable mention. In New York he had two very good years in 2009-2010 and 2011-2012 potting 42 and 41 goals respectively. He also adapted quite nicely to stoneage hockey defensively, albeit gaffs and off games last year in particular.

But Nash is a one-timer, Gaborik is a consistent 40 goal guy

Appeareth now Mr 40 goal Nash and I will gladly eat crow.

OK, since the 2004-05 lockout, 82 game goal scoring paces:

Nash: 47, 29, 39, 42, 36, 35, 30, 39. Actual production: 252g in 564gp, 36.64g/82gp.

Gaborik: 48, 51, 45, (63), 45, 29, 41, 21. Actual production: 240g in 474gpp, 41.52g/82gp

Gabby does average higher.

However, as I said Gabby's playstyle makes him a passenger on whatever line he plays on. The extra 5 goals may or may not be worth it, and I personally don't think they are. Especially considering just how bad Gaborik looked last season, he was producing at the level of a mediocre 3rd liner 5v5.

I take Nash going forward quite easily.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
Gabs knows how to play on a team... Nash only knows how to play by himself....

This will change, I am confident in that.... but it is going to take more than 2 seasons... The guy just spent several season in which he was the only guy who could do anything... What do you expect? overnight adapatation does not exist

BBKers

Jan 9, 2006
Bialystok, Poland
OK, since the 2004-05 lockout, 82 game goal scoring paces:

Nash: 47, 29, 39, 42, 36, 35, 30, 39. Actual production: 252g in 564gp, 36.64g/82gp.

Gaborik: 48, 51, 45, (63), 45, 29, 41, 21. Actual production: 240g in 474gpp, 41.52g/82gp

Gabby does average higher.

However, as I said Gabby's playstyle makes him a passenger on whatever line he plays on. The extra 5 goals may or may not be worth it, and I personally don't think they are. Especially considering just how bad Gaborik looked last season, he was producing at the level of a mediocre 3rd liner 5v5.

I take Nash going forward quite easily.

In theory and on paper I agree entirely
In the brutal reality we have seen so far, I am not so sure anymore
So would the real Rick Nash please come on down?!?! Now Dammit!

Otoh - would trading
Dubinsky, Anisimov, Erixon and a 1st be deemed good value today for Brassard, Moore, Dorsett and a 5th?
Close call in an alternative universe we ain´t never gonna wake up in....

Glennsoe

Horndog
Jan 7, 2011
The last 2 games Henke has let in 9 goals, some soft and some unstoppable one's..

Could it be the new pads taking more time to getting used too, horrible defense or motivation?

BBKers

Jan 9, 2006
Bialystok, Poland
Another question to Blue Blooded, Ola and the rest of us €urotrash NYR followers - have you guys been watching these preseason games played at these ridiculous times? I have seen every minute live --- PUKE --- and still try to run a pretty big resort as my day job. What a waste of time it has been.
None of the kids IMO stick out above the vet regulars - which I am not sure is a good thing or a bad thing right now as the vets have been pretty bad all around. Fast looks the best and most ready IMO, then Miller, Lindberg, Allen, Hrivik, Mashinter and last of the fwds unfortunately Kreider. What is up wit his hockey sense, consistency and feel for finding the right spaces/opening up for getting the puck with some speed? Everybody seems to need Stepans passing back asap. Then the last player to judge is D Falk who has been a big disappointment so far.
Welcome back to the big club Mr Bickel btw :help: Interesting couple of days of roster moves coming up

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
One thing stood out tonight and stood out aganist Vancouver too.

Our Ds is really not a factor in our offensive game at all. Kopitar scores that goal due to that pass from Doughty. Carter scores that goal due to the pass from the blueline (could have been a forward on the point though), Hank Sedin scores that first goal due to the play by Edler, and so forth and so forth and so forth. On a shift by shift basis these teams attack as 5 man units, and the plays that opening things up more often than not comes directly from Ds or with a D being part of the chain of events. Sometimes its the first assist or the second for goals or direct scoring chances.

I am not going to say that its a disappointment, because I wasn't expecting much. But its pretty obvious that our blueline just is not capable of playing a strong two way game in the NHL. At least with MDZ on the right side, they are very weak at making high caliber plays offensively which quite frankly is a requirement for a good blueline in the NHL today.

All stronger offensive teams in this league build their offensive games around units of which a very strong offensive minded D or two are an integral part. We just don't get that. Besides some headless attempts to rush the puck, after 6 pre-season games, I just can't picture one great offensive play from our Ds lol. That is pretty bad.

Neither do we get the mid-level offensive plays from our D's. Staal has been solid, but McD, Girardi and Moore are just not very smart out there with the puck. Especially two players like Girardi and McD needs to be leaders out there, when they chicken out and just throw the puck away time after time guys like John Moore (who has been quite awful all camp) will follow. McD just got himself a pretty good contract, but he is playing 5th D hockey out there.

BTW, Connor Allen is making a case for himself. I can only speak for my self, but I am a hard time making an argument that he hasn't been a top 6 D for us so far. I am not saying that he should play on opening night. For several diffrent reasons, but i think it deserves to be pointed out that he probably would rank in the middle of the group if we sat down and evaluated our D's play this pre-season.

Last edited:

Blue Blooded

Oct 25, 2010
Stockholm
Another question to Blue Blooded, Ola and the rest of us €urotrash NYR followers - have you guys been watching these preseason games played at these ridiculous times? I have seen every minute live --- PUKE --- and still try to run a pretty big resort as my day job. What a waste of time it has been.
None of the kids IMO stick out above the vet regulars - which I am not sure is a good thing or a bad thing right now as the vets have been pretty bad all around. Fast looks the best and most ready IMO, then Miller, Lindberg, Allen, Hrivik, Mashinter and last of the fwds unfortunately Kreider. What is up wit his hockey sense, consistency and feel for finding the right spaces/opening up for getting the puck with some speed? Everybody seems to need Stepans passing back asap. Then the last player to judge is D Falk who has been a big disappointment so far.
Welcome back to the big club Mr Bickel btw :help: Interesting couple of days of roster moves coming up

For some reason I have too! Except for the Devils game that I missed. Finishing up my Masters degree so I set my own schedule though, it doesn't matter if I sleep in to 12.

We really miss Stepan and Hagelin 5v5. Though I was impressed with how they dominated Vancouver 5v5 despite a pretty lacklustre forward corps.

I agree with your ranking of the young un's, though I'd put Kreider over Mashinter. Kreider had maybe 1-2 good plays, Mashinter only stand out moment was a stupid penalty.

Last edited:

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
BBKers- Hehe, I've noted that you have been posted at all kind of times of the day, I am watching on-demand feeds. With two kids, a third on the way, a 60-70 hrs/week job, 80 minutes commuting a day, I gotta admit that I haven't watched a minute of live hockey after midnight in like 2 years. ;)

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
The last 2 games Henke has let in 9 goals, some soft and some unstoppable one's..

Could it be the new pads taking more time to getting used too, horrible defense or motivation?

Its more or less a diect result of the team focusing on so many other things than winning hockey games.

Carter ends up alone in front of Hank due to Bickel trying to out number a LA player in the corner while Boyle was out of the play. With 4 games in 5 nights on the road, giving up 4-5 goals is a really low number against VAN and LAK with the rosters we have had. If you don't focus on playing a typical "away" game, 8-9 goals is realy not an abnorm number. Especially considering that we have been on the wrong side of some bounces...

Blue Blooded

Oct 25, 2010
Stockholm
One thing stood out tonight and stood out aganist Vancouver too.

Our Ds is really not a factor in our offensive game at all. Kopitar scores that goal due to that pass from Doughty. Carter scores that goal due to the pass from the blueline (could have been a forward on the point though), Hank Sedin scores that first goal due to the play by Edler, and so forth and so forth and so forth. On a shift by shift basis these teams attack as 5 man units, and the plays that opening things up more often than not comes directly from Ds or with a D being part of the chain of events. Sometimes its the first assist or the second for goals or direct scoring chances.

I am not going to say that its a disappointment, because I wasn't expecting much. But its pretty obvious that our blueline just is not capable of playing a strong two way game in the NHL. At least with MDZ on the right side, they are very weak at making high caliber plays offensively which quite frankly is a requirement for a good blueline in the NHL today.

All stronger offensive teams in this league build their offensive games around units of which a very strong offensive minded D or two are an integral part. We just don't get that. Besides some headless attempts to rush the puck, after 6 pre-season games, I just can't picture one great offensive play from our Ds lol. That is pretty bad.

Neither do we get the mid-level offensive plays from our D's. Staal has been solid, but McD, Girardi and Moore are just not very smart out there with the puck. Especially two players like Girardi and McD needs to be leaders out there, when they chicken out and just throw the puck away time after time guys like John Moore (who has been quite awful all camp) will follow. McD just got himself a pretty good contract, but he is playing 5th D hockey out there.

BTW, Connor Allen is making a case for himself. I can only speak for my self, but I am a hard time making an argument that he hasn't been a top 6 D for us so far. I am not saying that he should play on opening night. For several diffrent reasons, but i think it deserves to be pointed out that he probably would rank in the middle of the group if we sat down and evaluated our D's play this pre-season.

Strålman may not pull out the "wow" plays where he sets up a breakaway often, but he has been everything you want in a PMD since the start of the 2012-13 season. He moves the puck up the ice from our zone efficiently and keeps the play in the offensive zone.

I studied the break outs from our D closely in the Vancouver game and where Girardi constantly went for the Torts play where he fired the puck at the forward in the NZ so it just bounced off of him into no one in the OZ, Strålman consistently passed the puck right to the blade of the forwards in the NZ, even under pressure. He had one break out in particular where two Van forwards were homing in on him and he just banked the puck off the boards pefectly around the forechecker right to the stick of Powe who came through the NZ with speed. Since it was Powe who got the puck nothing special came of it, but those types of plays are incredibly important.

I mean against Vancouver we outshot them 16-3 5v5 with Strålman on the ice, and the shot attempts were 27-7. Such domination is basically unheard of. We all know what Tippett wants out of a defenceman and I agree with him 100%.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad