Post-Game Talk: Season Over.... errr.. PREseason over.

The Sweetness

Jul 15, 2010
Stockholm
1 season and Nash is on my **** list. 44 points, half of them worthless....he's a lazy player who feels a sense of entitlement with the puck.....he's not a superstar, thick headed people are the worst, he will try that same garbage deke until he scores, if it works 1/50 times, it still works right Ricky? The guys name should have been sticky, cuz he looks like a hot, sticky, piece of fecal matter out there,
Wow. Nash won us quite a few games last year on individual efforts alone. He also demands attention from opposing defenses and opens up time and space for his teammates because he's so strong on the puck.

He's certainly got flaws and should use his teammates better and should also finish better but his production in our system last year was pretty good.

GbgRanger

Jul 11, 2009
Sweden / Philippines
Another question to Blue Blooded, Ola and the rest of us €urotrash NYR followers - have you guys been watching these preseason games played at these ridiculous times? I have seen every minute live --- PUKE --- and still try to run a pretty big resort as my day job. What a waste of time it has been.
None of the kids IMO stick out above the vet regulars - which I am not sure is a good thing or a bad thing right now as the vets have been pretty bad all around. Fast looks the best and most ready IMO, then Miller, Lindberg, Allen, Hrivik, Mashinter and last of the fwds unfortunately Kreider. What is up wit his hockey sense, consistency and feel for finding the right spaces/opening up for getting the puck with some speed? Everybody seems to need Stepans passing back asap. Then the last player to judge is D Falk who has been a big disappointment so far.
Welcome back to the big club Mr Bickel btw :help: Interesting couple of days of roster moves coming up

I only missed the games against Vancouver and LA due to traveling. But I must admit I fell asleep a few times during the games against Edmonton and Calgary. I just finished my education and I´m jobhunting so I can sleep until the afternoon if I wish but I usually try to get up early to phone around.

I´ve been most impressed with Fast so far and I really miss seeing Hagelin right now. Callahan is also a big gap in the lineup but both he and Hagelin are close to returning no?

cd211

Feb 6, 2010
New York, NY
all you guys *****en should pick another team and sport to watch.. we iced a team that majority had rooks on the backend and fwd lines.. if you expected us to compete with the kings full lineup -brown your out of your damn mind..

i thought the kids looked very promising, and have a bright future.. AV wasnt coaching to the fullest in preseason, he was evaluating.. thats what you do in preseason... winnings a bonus..

there is a ton of good thhings to look at positively..

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
As far as I'm concerned, that was a 2-1 game against a team whose level we should be pretty close to. I don't count the power play goals against because of us not having any of our top 3 PKing defensemen in the lineup.

Clown Fiesta

Aug 15, 2005
Montana
As far as I'm concerned, that was a 2-1 game against a team whose level we should be pretty close to. I don't count the power play goals against because of us not having any of our top 3 PKing defensemen in the lineup.

We were out manned all preseason, AV took a really long look at a lot of kids and bottom six guys. I think that was his intent all along, considering our top six is fairly set. I have no issues with that. Wins are nice at any time of the year, but to see how they played when things clicked gave me some hope. When things didn't click it was probably the worst hockey I've seen in my life. Seriously, worse than the dark ages.

If they look like that on Oct. 3 I'll worry, but I think they looked very good in some of their losses at times. It's now on the staff to get them looking good more often than not. I think they have the day off today, which leaves them five days before their next game on the ice focused solely on fixing their bad reads and learning the system. With the majority of their actual roster.

Doctyl

Play-ins Manager
Jan 25, 2011
Bofflol

you mean falk and allen arent a good pk unit?

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
We were out manned all preseason, AV took a really long look at a lot of kids and bottom six guys. I think that was his intent all along, considering our top six is fairly set. I have no issues with that. Wins are nice at any time of the year, but to see how they played when things clicked gave me some hope. When things didn't click it was probably the worst hockey I've seen in my life. Seriously, worse than the dark ages.

If they look like that on Oct. 3 I'll worry, but I think they looked very good in some of their losses at times. It's now on the staff to get them looking good more often than not. I think they have the day off today, which leaves them five days before their next game on the ice focused solely on fixing their bad reads and learning the system. With the majority of their actual roster.

I agree with this whole post.

Hi ImHFNYR

Jan 10, 2013
Wherever I'm standing atm
Quite a few were gulping about the latter portion of the Big Brich's contract but jesus christ to only get one single year from him? Disgusting and almost no one predicted it. Several were woefully blind to how bad he was last year even 10 or so games in. In true HF style they were real jerks about defending him too, ignored all evidence and asserted everyone else was overreacting. B/c acknowledging evidence apparently = overreacting. Despite his "4 good passes" against Van I believe the point that he looks horrible still stands.

As for Nash I saw BBKers lament the loss of years of good drafting. I'm sorry but Anisimov and Erixon is years of good drafting? Dubs going was not a problem at all and Erixon hasn't done anything. It was a fine trade. I get if people are disappointed he's not scoring 45 goals and he doesn't take over games but if he's an annual 60+ point guy then we win that trade I think (although I'm a massive Anisimov fan and think he could really hit another level).It's definitely silly to actually assert that the Nash trade is a waste. After year 1 I'm pleased. Was hoping for more but what we got was still good.

Just to clarify I understand if some feel this trade WILL be bad when we look at it later on but as of now it's premature to assert that it already is bad
I will say this: I think Nash is definitely overpaid by a good 2 1/4 mil per year which is a significant overpay.

Hi ImHFNYR

Jan 10, 2013
Wherever I'm standing atm
Is any1 else ok with this season being a bad one? I wouldn't mind a top 10 pick to compliment the guys we have now and will have in the near future especially assuming it'll be a guy who can score and take over games a little bit offensively starting within 2 years (as opposed to our later 1st rounders and picks who always take 3+ years).

This team desperately could use a Tarasenko right now. Not an endictment of the McI draft I just mean we could use a shot at a talented scorer in the draft. I know McI had a poor preseason but I'm looking forward to him hitting his stride and starting to play next year. Especially if we let Girardi go which is a possibility. I'm not actually convinced he'll be ready next year but I am hopeful. Hopefully Skjei takes a jump with added responsibility and it looks like Allen is going to slot into a spot next year if we need him which rules.

So D wise we're golden it's just the offense which has been sad at best and this is the cheapest way to fix it (which is important with our cap right now. Guys like JT, Kreider, Fasth and Lindberg will hopefully bring a wave of offense with them as well.)

Last edited:

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
Eh people may not agree but there are a lot of things that the Rangers are doing that I like. Their breakout is more efficient, their speed is better, the D is supporting the forwards a lot better and getting involved, their movement in the offensive zone in general has been better....the defensive zone coverage has been spotty at best and Lundqvist is not playing well (way too deep in net) but it's preseason and there's still work to do.

The most concerning part is finishing their offensive chances, but again, I find it quite difficult to get too worked up over preseason results, especially when they were on a long road trip like this with the roster constantly being mixed up

I didn't watch the third but for the first two periods I thought things were pretty even between the two teams and it wasn't like last year where you watch the Rangers defend for huge chunks of time and it feels like they never have the puck

Dr. Ogrodnick

Jan 10, 2007
Is any1 else ok with this season being a bad one? I wouldn't mind a top 10 pick to compliment the guys we have now and will have in the near future especially assuming it'll be a guy who can score and take over games a little bit offensively starting within 2 years (as opposed to our later 1st rounders and picks who always take 3+ years).

This team desperately could use a Tarasenko right now. Not an endictment of the McI draft I just mean we could use a shot at a talented scorer in the draft. I know McI had a poor preseason but I'm looking forward to him hitting his stride and starting to play next year. Especially if we let Girardi go which is a possibility. I'm not actually convinced he'll be ready next year but I am hopeful. Hopefully Skjei takes a jump with added responsibility and it looks like Allen is going to slot into a spot next year if we need him which rules.

So D wise we're golden it's just the offense which has been sad at best and this is the cheapest way to fix it (which is important with our cap right now. Guys like JT, Kreider, Fasth and Lindberg will hopefully bring a wave of offense with them as well.)

I'm not, if it causes Lundqvist to consider other options. Also, as much as I'd like that kind of asset on the team, not to sure I want to sit through a season of aggravation and frustation especially when the team should be pretty good.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
On the pwp goals--not just the d-men but the forwards last night. Boyle was getting his ear worked on when LA scored it's first pwp goal. Other than we were using Powe, Miller (26 NHL games) , Fast and Lindberg and briefly in the third killing the 4 minute penalty Richards and Nash came out.

Dagoon44

Sep 15, 2003
NJ
dagoon44.blogspot.com
Yea guys Mashinster was the problem lol

Nash looked like he was in battle of the blades the way he skated figure 8 all over and never got a shot thru to the net

Richards looked God Aweful enough said

Kreider looked like he was just waiting to be sent down never at all did he look this bad before then finally last night he had 2 good shifts and now people love him again

Asham looked like he wanted to be Nash with all his fancy skating he barely finished any hits and never fought

Dorset is what he is a light weight version of Prust nothing more

Hank was GOD AWE FULLhe looked horrible in every game played and needs to rebound quickly

but oh yea a fourth liner player took a double minor in the preseaon trying to defend a teammate lets end his career and have him drawn and quartered

Last edited by a moderator:

Paulie Walnutz

Make HF Great Again
Oct 1, 2008

Do you trust this organization's drafting guys? We'd probably draft another defenseman

Garv23

Jan 27, 2007
Rockland, NY
New coach, new system, new line-up, kids trying out, preseason...

...you guys need to get up, slowly back away from your internets and breathe.

One thing I do have a little concern with is teams planting someone in front of Hank. I like our D, but we definitely lack any crease clearing presence. These last 3 games it was glaring as a lot of goals were scored because of screens.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
I'm pissed at Mashinter because it was a really really dumb penalty and "defending a teammate" doesn't excuse making a stupid decision like that. Either jump the guy and earn the penalty or don't drop your gloves until you know he's gonna go with you. What Mashinter did was dumb and he brings nothing else to the team that can even vaguely overcome taking really stupid penalties like that.

I hate penalties like that, which is why I am pissed at Mashinter. he can't be that stupid if he wants to play in the NHL, that's all.

Clown Fiesta

Aug 15, 2005
Montana
Really don't care one way or the other about Mashinter's penalty. Regular season it's a dumb move, don't drop them until the other guy does. If you do drop them knock that smug grin off Nolan's face.

I found it funny one of the smartass posts above about "bro I gotta fight or I'll get demoted" you do realize that guys on the brink of an NHL career who show they are willing to go and defend teammates actually do exactly that, and that's how a lot of them get their start? The post wasn't funny the ignorance was.

Preseason for some of these guys is an individual effort to get into the NHL, and it's certainly Mashinter's best chance, I think he played decent throughout preseason probably not good enough to merit sticking with the team. One fight might have changed that for him, and I doubt the coaching staff is holding it against him that he took a double minor. They will point it out to him, but not chastise him like HF does when the team loses and they don't understand well enough to actually analyze it rather than just blame certain players.

NYR2007

Sponsor
Jul 7, 2009
New York
you guys make it seem the 7th/ 8 d man or spare forward is the reason the team played that bad.

It starts from the top. Nash , Richards , etc....

Last edited by a moderator:

gary laser eyes

Apr 6, 2007
The Rangers were in a unique situation this preseason having to go on a 10-day road trip, while playing 4 games in 5 days in 4 different cities. People don't realize how far cities are apart out west. To put it into perspective I came up with some similar distances between the cities they played in out west to cities from New York

Calgary ==> Edmonton is similar to New York ==> Boston
Edmonton ==> Vancouver is similar to New York ==> Detroit
Vancouver ==> Las Vegas is similar to New York ==> St. Paul

That's A LOT of travel. Then you add in the fact that the Rangers had a mostly revolving door of a lineup and were playing against teams that were icing mostly full lineups it's tough to get a good gauge on where the team stands.

I'm not trying to make excuses here, as some of the vets have looked awful, but I'm not gonna go crazy over what amounts to a very disjointed preseason.

Three days of practice/rest in New York and cutting dead weight off the roster will do the team good. I can't wait until Thursday!

HatTrick Swayze

Just Be Nice
Jun 16, 2006
Chicago
3rd period was pretty good. Nice to see the team play with a little fire when pushed around. Not a ton of fire but it was nice to see signs of a pulse.

Have to think Miller sticks.

Bardof425*

Yeah i dont understand the love for Mash, he isnt terrible but he isnt nearly better than the other guys fighting fr spots

He's not making the team. No way they take him over Asham. I thought Kreider had a good game and he as Fast had a few good looks. Boyle is still pretty much useless outside of the faceoff win. I now believe he is a poor penalty killer and the hype regarding this part of his game is bull. He is so slow changing direction that the pointmen have no problem turning him around and getting clean looks. His reach helps every now and then and he can win a draw. Otherwise he really does suck.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad