Season Opener in Winnipeg (Jan 19th)

GK

Not Jeeks
Apr 2, 2010
Banff
Not sure of anyone realizes this yet, but if this is true, this game will mark the very first game of the NHL season. I think even a few non Sens/Jets fans would be tuning in to get their fix.

That's actually quite rad. I hadn't realized this. I'm even more excited for the game now. :laugh:

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Not sure of anyone realizes this yet, but if this is true, this game will mark the very first game of the NHL season. I think even a few non Sens/Jets fans would be tuning in to get their fix.

Not only this, but the Sens ALSO played the very first game after the LAST lockout, against the Leafs (and subsequently won the very first shootout ever).

Sens will play the very first game after the lockout two lockouts in a row. Let's hope that trend does not continue.

danishh

Dec 9, 2006
YOW
this isnt going to be the first game. Philly and Pittsburgh will play a 1pm/1:30pm eastern game, an hour or an hour and a half before the start of this one.

this will, however, be the first canadian game.

The Littlest Hobo

Oct 6, 2008
Toronto (yuck!)
this isnt going to be the first game. Philly and Pittsburgh will play a 1pm/1:30pm eastern game, an hour or an hour and a half before the start of this one.

this will, however, be the first canadian game.

So what you're saying is CBC will air the Flyers vs. the Penguins for all of Canada and only the Ottawa and Winnipeg regions will cut away to the good game.... I can see that.

RedWhiteBlackGold

Veteran User
Feb 22, 2007
Charlottetown, PE
Wasn't it Ottawa beating Toronto?

October 05 2005 after almost 1 1/2 years NHL hockey returned with a new set of rules, perhaps the biggest rule change being the shootout if the game is still tied after a 5 minute overtime.

That night the Ottawa Senators were visiting the Toronto Maple Leafs and after regulation time and overtime, the game was tied 2 -2.

Daniel Alfredsson scored on the first ever shootout attempt for Ottawa.

Both Jason Allison and Eric Lindros missed on Toronto's attempts.

On Ottawa's third attempt Dany Heatley scored giving Ottawa the world's first NHL shootout victory.

Here's hoping Ottawa can start the post lockout on another high note. :cheers:

Here I Pageau Again

Jul 4, 2012
Oh man, I cannot wait!! One week, and that is gonna be glorious.

Saturday morning sleep in, then brunch then hockey for the rest of the day. A day of food, comfy yoga pants and beer (not too much though)!

Last edited:

pepty

Let's win it all
Feb 22, 2005
So is that a 2 pm start or 3 eastern? Regardless I work until 5 so I am going to miss it.

I thought it was 130PM Winnipeg time which would be 2.30 PM in Ottawa.

The Philly game is on a 3PM Eastern time I think so that would be in direct competition to the Ottawa game.

I guess we should know for sure soon when they release the official schedule.

moz

Gute Post
Oct 30, 2006
Ottawa
When the hell was the last time we opened a season at home?

Almost a decade. In 2003-04 we opened against the Canadiens with a 5-2 win.

You'd almost figure the Sens specifically request to open on the road. Someone way less lazy than me should chart home openings for each team.

moz

Gute Post
Oct 30, 2006
Ottawa
Wait it was a trick question! In 2008-09 the first game against the Penguins in Stockholm counted as a "home" game. ;)

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
Thanks to Senstown.com

gilles84.jpg

moz

Gute Post
Oct 30, 2006
Ottawa
The predators are bumping half seasons up to full. But we get cheaper hot dogs so call it even.

Melnyk's "apology" letter to fans was also the least remorseful or apologetic of the 10 or so I've read, including lockout hawks like Leonsis (who should apologize) and moderates like Burkle (who shouldn't but did anyways). I'm not an angry fan, but the organization's mea culpa is severely underwhelming.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
^^so far i have to agree. let's see what else happens here though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad