Pre-Game Talk: Season opener @ Blues

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
only reason is nash is a smart smart player on both sides of the puck and it would be temporary with his size i think it would be a good idea temporarily until stepan is back

i'd like to see it but i believe marty will be fine

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
I'm skeptical that moving any established scoring wing to center is going to provide positive results.

I'd prefer to see them attempt to use their wing depth to buoy a lesser talented center.

OverTheCap

Jan 3, 2009
MSL has the vision and passing ability that many centers possess; Nash does not. Nash should just focus on scoring some goals right now, he doesn't need the added distraction of learning how to play a new position.

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
I'm skeptical that moving any established scoring wing to center is going to provide positive results.

I'd prefer to see them attempt to use their wing depth to buoy a lesser talented center.

Agree with you 100%

Don't think we are going to get the results we are hoping for from MSL at Center. He's played the game up and down the walls the last 15-20+ years, now, a week to 10 days before the season starts he's going to learn the nuances of being a teams #1 center?

I hope I'm wrong, but I'm not expecting anything good to come out of it.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
Agree with you 100%

Don't think we are going to get the results we are hoping for from MSL at Center. He's played the game up and down the walls the last 15-20+ years, now, a week to 10 days before the season starts he's going to learn the nuances of being a teams #1 center?

I hope I'm wrong, but I'm not expecting anything good to come out of it.

Agree. I think the coaching staff agrees too, but did any center really step up in preseason or TC to earn that right? I don't think so. I think that's why they're making the move to use MSL there. He wasn't awful in the preseason games...

I'd rather see Moore get utilized more, but do understand posters' hesitance at that. On the other hand, Moore stepped up and played big minutes for us in the Habs series and did not look out of place at all.

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
OverTheCap;90505027[B said:
]MSL has the vision and passing ability that many centers possess; Nash does not.[/B] Nash should just focus on scoring some goals right now, he doesn't need the added distraction of learning how to play a new position.

Agreed.

But instinctual positioning on the ice and overall responsibilities in both the offensive and defensive zones are different than a wingers.

Don't care how smart a player is, moreso for the better players in the game, it's an instinctual sport where you just know where to go/be in all three zones.

Asking a star winger to take over the teams #1 center spot on such short notice is asking for trouble.

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
Agree. I think the coaching staff agrees too, but did any center really step up in preseason or TC to earn that right? I don't think so. I think that's why they're making the move to use MSL there. He wasn't awful in the preseason games...

I'd rather see Moore get utilized more, but do understand posters' hesitance at that. On the other hand, Moore stepped up and played big minutes for us in the Habs series and did not look out of place at all.

Moore is a 4th liner who isn't completely without vision or skill. In a pinch I don't believe he is a bad option for 2nd/3rd line C.

OverTheCap

Jan 3, 2009
Agreed.

But instinctual positioning on the ice and overall responsibilities in both the offensive and defensive zones are different than a wingers.

Don't care how smart a player is, moreso for the better players in the game, it's an instinctual sport where you just know where to go/be in all three zones.

Asking a star winger to take over the teams #1 center spot on such short notice is asking for trouble.

I agree, I just think that if forced to choose between MSL and Nash at center, MSL is clearly the lesser of two evils. But, ideally, converting an established, veteran winger to center should not be an option at all.

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
Not impressive in the playoffs, sure, regular season, he has been our best forward.

i didnt clarify.

reg season hes been good.

playoffs hes been pretty much raw arse.

averages out to not impressive at all though....

he will not be our best forward this reg season pretty sure of that.

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
He was on pace for over 40 goals in the shortened season how is that not impressive?

21 in 44 games

that equates to 36 goals in 76 games.

That assumes he would have maintained the pace he was on.

Nice no question. But that's what I am expecting from him every year.

30-35 goals.

For his skill set, amount of TOI at ES and on PP, there's no reason he shouldn't be doing this every year.

Playing to your averages does not impress me.

AHB*

i didnt clarify.

reg season hes been good.

playoffs hes been pretty much raw arse.

averages out to not impressive at all though....

he will not be our best forward this reg season pretty sure of that.

I'd take that bet, assuming he stays healthy.

21 in 44 games

that equates to 36 goals in 76 games.

That assumes he would have maintained the pace he was on.

Nice no question. But that's what I am expecting from him every year.

30-35 goals.

For his skill set, amount of TOI at ES and on PP, there's no reason he shouldn't be doing this every year.

Playing to your averages does not impress me.

So a 39+ goal pace. You do realize full seasons are 82 games, right? That would put him in the league top 5 every season practically.

Playing to his average, which is far above most others averages is not a bad thing. 30-35 goals in this day and age is a lot. If he can pot over 35, that's a really big season. This isn't the 80's and people need to get over that. 30 goal scorers are rare. 40 goal scorers are practically non-existent. 50 goal scorers are the elite of the elite.

Would Crosby playing to his averages not impress you either? Ridiculous statement.

Zil

Shrug
Feb 9, 2006
Those being a dominant net front presence, and he has a good IQ of where to be in the offensive zone. Limit his ES time, and give him PP time. Glass and Malone should never be in the lineup at the same time? Disagree. They play very different games. Their only similarity is their size, which you've discounted if it doesn't come with anything else.

Malone is good for being a net front presence. Glass is good for nothing. Both of them detract from our ability to ice a functional fourth line.

Play the matchups. This is going to be a rough and tumble game. The Blues will take some penalties, the Rangers will need to capitalize on the PP. This is the sole reason of my thinking of putting Malone in for this game.

**** that. You win by playing your game, not trying to reconfigure your lineup to copy your opponent. We should be using our speed to skate them out of the rink, not kowtowing to some perceived size gap. Skating is what wins in today's game.

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse

best is a subjective term.

our best forward last year was zuke.

this year msl, zuke and kreider will all outscore nick rash.

id even make a better bet with you.

nash wont outscore mcdonagh this season.

Zil

Shrug
Feb 9, 2006

I'm quoting this for posterity so you can't edit it out. This Nash hate is ridiculous.

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT

So a 39+ goal pace. You do realize full seasons are 82 games, right? That would put him in the league top 5 every season practically.

Playing to his average, which is far above most others averages is not a bad thing. 30-35 goals in this day and age is a lot. If he can pot over 35, that's a really big season. This isn't the 80's and people need to get over that. 30 goal scorers are rare. 40 goal scorers are practically non-existent. 50 goal scorers are the elite of the elite.

Would Crosby playing to his averages not impress you either? Ridiculous statement.

you do realize that not evey player plays in all 82 games and that Nash had missed 4 games in 48 and probably would have missed a few others. The fact is, Nash has played in 82 games ONE time in his career.

Which means that the 39 goal pace is incorrect.

Goals per 82 games is not a stat to hang your hat on. What he does in the first 17 games this year added to the 26 he scored in 65 games last year means jack ****.

Crosby being an elite level talent playing to his avreages to me is not impressive. It's expected.

Crosby upping his totals to 140+ THAT would be impressive. Posting 25-40 goals to go with 60-70 assists is what I expect. Seeing him post those totals while impressive for most players is an average season for Sidney.

Just as much as I expect 50 goals from AO and Stammer. In the grand scheme of things, those totals are impressive, when matching those totals up to past seasons for those two players, it's not impressive.

Nash can impress me by posting 70+ points this season. If he plays in 75 games or 82 games.

A player with skill set and size that he has, pulling the kind of scratch he's pulling, he should be AVERAGING 70+ pts a year.

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
I'm quoting this for posterity so you can't edit it out. This Nash hate is ridiculous.

no worries. :laugh:

i have never been a nick rash fan. his shot :shakehead good god that shot..... its painful to watch.

anyone who can become so utterly invisible in back to back playoffs is both worrisome and problematic. and yes, i acknowledge he issss trying..... he just cannot score.

add to that his contract and term and im left with feeling the way i do.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
This will be a good first test for the team. Obviously, they're extremely quick up and down the lineup. That'll be enough to let them beat teams with average speed and average size, of which there are more than a few. The question is, are the quick enough to close the gap between themselves and bigger more physical teams? That was really the undoing last year. They out skated the fast MTL team, and then LA's depth and size got the best of them, despite LA not being particularly quick.

STL will be a similar team. Should be interesting to see if the Rangers can out skate the size differential.

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
you do realize that not evey player plays in all 82 games and that Nash had missed 4 games in 48 and probably would have missed a few others. The fact is, Nash has played in 82 games ONE time in his career.

Which means that the 39 goal pace is incorrect.

Goals per 82 games is not a stat to hang your hat on. What he does in the first 17 games this year added to the 26 he scored in 65 games last year means jack ****.

Crosby being an elite level talent playing to his avreages to me is not impressive. It's expected.

Crosby upping his totals to 140+ THAT would be impressive. Posting 25-40 goals to go with 60-70 assists is what I expect. Seeing him post those totals while impressive for most players is an average season for Sidney.

Just as much as I expect 50 goals from AO and Stammer. In the grand scheme of things, those totals are impressive, when matching those totals up to past seasons for those two players, it's not impressive.

Nash can impress me by posting 70+ points this season. If he plays in 75 games or 82 games.

A player with skill set and size that he has, pulling the kind of scratch he's pulling, he should be AVERAGING 70+ pts a year.

Additionally, aside from raking 10th on the goal scorers list in the strike shortened season, you would have to go back to 08-09 to find Nash in the top 10 goal scorers in the NHL.

Billed as an elite level sniper, he's been anything bu.

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT

Even I thik that's a little cookoo

I honestly don't expect 40+ from McD. Would be nice, but not expected.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad