Season Officially Suspended -- COVID-19/Coronavirus Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stupendous Yappi

Any famous last words? Not yet!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
So NHL training camp starts is pushed from 7/10 to 7/13. I hadn’t realized they were tying negotiating on extension of the CBA to the Return To Play plan. My initial reaction is that this complicates things more than necessary. But after some reflection I wonder if it’s better for the NHL than for other leagues in that regard. Obviously, the projected revenue has changed due to the pandemic. The return plan can reflect that.

It seems like the owners threw a bone with the Olympics announcement. Anyway, I take it as a good sign that the two sides are talking to each other well enough to come to agreement rather than a labor dispute. But it does seem like there are more ways to blow up the return to play if it’s tied to a CBA extension.

Stupendous Yappi

Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
I believe today is the day players would need to inform if they will not report for Phase 3. Has anyone heard of any players on any team that won’t report? I’d be shocked if the Blues has anyone, since the team want to defend their Cup.

Brockon

Cautiously optimistic realist when caffeinated.
Aug 20, 2017
Northern Canada
I believe today is the day players would need to inform if they will not report for Phase 3. Has anyone heard of any players on any team that won’t report? I’d be shocked if the Blues has anyone, since the team want to defend their Cup.

I seem to recall reading players had 72 hours after the CBA signing - which means tommorow sometime, I believe.

Additionally, the physicals before a player enters the bubble can have a doctor hold a guy out due to health concerns over pre-existing conditions. I'd expect JBo to be held out under these terms as well as Lindblom (recent cancer battle). Possibly Domi, depending on how diabetes is viewed.

Stupendous Yappi

Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
I seem to recall reading players had 72 hours after the CBA signing - which means tommorow sometime, I believe.

Additionally, the physicals before a player enters the bubble can have a doctor hold a guy out due to health concerns over pre-existing conditions. I'd expect JBo to be held out under these terms as well as Lindblom (recent cancer battle). Possibly Domi, depending on how diabetes is viewed.
Why would Bouwmeester have to report? He’s on LTIR and all parties know he’s unofficially retired. Since the contract payment is for regular season games, why would Jay need a doctor’s note now? I don’t always follow how LTIR works, but I don’t get how the return to play plan matters to Bouwmeester’s status at all.

The article I read (I think was in the Athletic, but can’t recall now) specified 7/7 as the date players needed to respond. I’m sure some of these details may have been adjusted a day or two either direction.

I’d read that Lindblom was working out on his own. I haven’t followed his story closely, but if he’s not immunosuppressed, he may not actually have any unusual risk despite recent cancer. Is he cleared for contact, etc otherwise?

I hope they don’t make a big issue about Domi. While there has been higher morbidity and mortality in diabetics, the risk derived from both poorly controlled blood glucose levels and from vascular disease due to diabetes (more common in obese Type 2 diabetics, hypertension, kidney dysfunction, etc). I think it’s not a huge assumption to think that a guy fit enough to be a professional athlete does not have poorly controlled diabetes. I think he could easily appeal a blanket policy denying him the right to play, as the risk data are on his side.

SaintLouHaintBlue

Have another donut
Feb 22, 2014
Michigan
Mask wearing has not been something that I have ever complained about. I really don't care if local business want to enforce mask-wearing on patrons, and they can do that until kingdom come for all I care.

But, (mainly at a restaurant) - one is required to wear the mask into the store, or when moving around the establishment, but not at the table - what is that doing, exactly?
It's doesn't really seem to be the same effect as always wearing it the entire time you are in a retail store, for instance.
...if it's going to spread, the entire time you are sitting there eating (without a mask) - isn't that an opportunity for it to spread (if it were going to)?
Some places are just absolutely adamant about wearing one through the door, as if it is the difference between life and death, but then, once you are seated - the mask has to come off so you can eat/drink.

You still have to interact/talk with the server.

ChicagoBlues

Sentient
Oct 24, 2006
Mask wearing has not been something that I have ever complained about. I really don't care if local business want to enforce mask-wearing on patrons, and they can do that until kingdom come for all I care.

But, (mainly at a restaurant) - one is required to wear the mask into the store, or when moving around the establishment, but not at the table - what is that doing, exactly?
It's doesn't really seem to be the same effect as always wearing it the entire time you are in a retail store, for instance.
...if it's going to spread, the entire time you are sitting there eating (without a mask) - isn't that an opportunity for it to spread (if it were going to)?
Some places are just absolutely adamant about wearing one through the door, as if it is the difference between life and death, but then, once you are seated - the mask has to come off so you can eat/drink.

You still have to interact/talk with the server.
Oh! I’m supposed to take the mask off while at the table?!!

Damn!

All this time I’ve been trying to figure out how to get my fork through the mask, so I can eat.

Reactions: shpongle falls

Brockon

Cautiously optimistic realist when caffeinated.
Aug 20, 2017
Northern Canada
Why would Bouwmeester have to report? He’s on LTIR and all parties know he’s unofficially retired. Since the contract payment is for regular season games, why would Jay need a doctor’s note now? I don’t always follow how LTIR works, but I don’t get how the return to play plan matters to Bouwmeester’s status at all.

The article I read (I think was in the Athletic, but can’t recall now) specified 7/7 as the date players needed to respond. I’m sure some of these details may have been adjusted a day or two either direction.

I’d read that Lindblom was working out on his own. I haven’t followed his story closely, but if he’s not immunosuppressed, he may not actually have any unusual risk despite recent cancer. Is he cleared for contact, etc otherwise?

I hope they don’t make a big issue about Domi. While there has been higher morbidity and mortality in diabetics, the risk derived from both poorly controlled blood glucose levels and from vascular disease due to diabetes (more common in obese Type 2 diabetics, hypertension, kidney dysfunction, etc). I think it’s not a huge assumption to think that a guy fit enough to be a professional athlete does not have poorly controlled diabetes. I think he could easily appeal a blanket policy denying him the right to play, as the risk data are on his side.

Formalities. Every player who has been LTIR retired is still required to undergo a physical deeming them unfit to play prior to the beginning of the NHL season while they're under contract. We're talking guys that were traded to Arizona, with the clear intent of shedding their cap hit with no intent of ever having them step on the ice again (Hossa, Pronger, Datsyuk), while insurance money covered the wages and the Coyotes didn't give a shit about cap space (actually allowing them to hit the cap floor). Horton and Clarkson for the Leafs underwent this for years in the early 2010s.

From that stance alone, I expect some form of assessment for JBo to be needed, simply to declare him ineligible for the playoffs - even of the Blues have made it clear that they don't intend to have JBo dress for them (except possibly to have him hoist the cup, should we repeat).

Lindblom may get a pass, but I expect him to have to fight for the right to play if he wants it. The perception of his vulnerability due to potential immunodeficiencies may have additional pressure placed on him being held out. I feel that that's bullshit, a medical diagnosis should be made impartially - but biases in the team's favour are made often, granting players like Thornton with his torn ACL/MCL the ability to play in the playoffs a return. Bergeron playing in the 2013 SCF game 6 with a collapsed lung. Players playing with broken bones in the playoffs Etc. Players who are healthy being deemed unfit to play (Clarkson contract) in order to circumvent the cap, have also been proven to have occurred.

Domi with his diabetes, regardless of how well managed it is could be facing a lot of hurdles to take part in this year's playoffs. This is probably going to be one of the more highly scrutinized cases of players needing a physical or being held out due to pre-existing conditions placing them at a higher risk by taking part.

Reactions: Stupendous Yappi

shpongle falls

Ass Möde
Oct 1, 2014
The Night Train
Holy **** looks like this Texas doctor has essentially found a cure for Covid! He's been an ER doctor for 28 years and has been treating people with an inhaled steroid with a nebulazier since March and EVERY SINGLE PERSON he has treated with has survived and recovered. Has a 100% success rate and it's cheap and has been FDA approved for 20 something years, Big Pharma won't make a dime off this. This is incredible. Watch this interview and read the article and he'll explain everything.

Local doctor believes he has found 'silver bullet' for COVID-19

Last edited:

Frenzy31

May 21, 2003
That is great news and some good points about other countries. I truly hope other doctors see this

Mar 6, 2012
I didn't watch the video, but according to the article, this guy successfully treated 12 people?

Let's not get ahead of ourselves here. 10s of thousands of the top scientific minds are working around the clock to solve this problem and we're to now believe that a small town ER doctor cracked the case? I know we're all desperate for any good news... and I'm not trying to be a butthead... but I don't think this is something worth paying attention to.

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006
I didn't watch the video, but according to the article, this guy successfully treated 12 people?

Let's not get ahead of ourselves here. 10s of thousands of the top scientific minds are working around the clock to solve this problem and we're to now believe that a small town ER doctor cracked the case? I know we're all desperate for any good news... and I'm not trying to be a butthead... but I don't think this is something worth paying attention to.
There were a lot of lies in that video, so it made the “cure” less believable to me. But, the telling moment was when asked how many people he treated, his response is I haven’t tallied.

Now I could be sold on the medicine working given what’s been documented so far in how the virus works. But, this read as self flattery and potentially politically motivated.

Don’t get me started on the God told me the answer inference in the video.

All that said, I both hope this works and agree that not waiting till someone is on their deathbed to give them medical attention is much more likely to be effective.

Reactions: shpongle falls

shpongle falls

Ass Möde
Oct 1, 2014
The Night Train
The point is that inhaled budenoside has a 100% success rate so far even in the elderly and immune compromised in which this virus is supposed to be a death sentence, that's pretty incredible. It makes sense that if you can get rid of the inflammatory response at the source of the infection in the lungs, it would be highly effective.

shpongle falls

Ass Möde
Oct 1, 2014
The Night Train

There are several different treatment options that work we're just not hearing about it from the mainstream media, because the media is nothing but a fear mongering propaganda machine for the establishment.

shpongle falls

Ass Möde
Oct 1, 2014
The Night Train
He mentions that Hydroxycloroquine works too. The whole thing views as a smarmy paid for tv advertisement. My bs detectors are going off like crazy.

Edit - oh and the YouTube channel looks like anti-vac nonsense. Definitely the place I like to get my medical information.
Hydroxychloroquine with zinc has been shown to have anti-viral effects for several viruses and it's been known about in the scientific community for awhile if I'm not mistaken. There's going to be some new studies on it released soon that show it's effectiveness. I'm not an anti-vaxxer nutter i promise lol. That Richard Bartlett interview has been uploaded by a bunch of youtube accounts, I just randomly picked that one.

"Every patient that I've prescribed it to has been very ill and within 8-12 hours they were basically symptom free."

Last edited:

Robb_K

Apr 26, 2007
NordHolandNethrlands
I've been reading a lot, and it seems that the current consensus is that it looks like all of the promising avenues of help probably won't be 100% cures, and even the various vaccines may well not have a 100% effectiveness in totally preventing everyone from contracting the disease. But, having more and more potential "treatments" and potential preventatives on the horizon, the most vulnerable may be able to survive and many may be able to come out of the bout with the virus without crippling permanent damage, through use of a combination of treatments all providing "partial" help from their cumulative effect. I don't believe that video's doctors 'findings" mean that he's found a panacea cure for The Earth's masses. But, I had heard from more than one epidemiologist who are working with groups on finding potential Covid-19 treatments, that steroids have been found to reduce the most debilitating effects of the immune system's overactivity on the victim's organs, and lessens the harshness of the symptoms that would otherwise occur.

For myself, I have less anxiety than I did when almost all people over 60 years old that were put on ventilators were dying. At that time, I thought that if I were to contract the virus, I surely wouldn't survive. But now, many people are just given oxygen without being put on the ventilator, and many more are surviving. That, together with lying on their stomachs, rather than their backs, and having steroids, and Remdezivir, or another of the promising partially effective dangerous extreme reaction reducing anti-inflammatory drugs or other treatments, gives me some hope that if I DO catch the virus, I may be able to live through it, and maybe even avoid major organ damage and needing a lung transplant, or being chained to a kidney machine or oxygen tank for the rest of my life.

Still, at this time, I don't dare go into a public building, airport waiting room, or airplane cabin. I won't even sit on outdoor tables of a restaurant. I'll have to wait for some kind of preventative with a decent lasting period of effectiveness, and a decent % of effectiveness on users. I have faith that some combination of methods to keep us oldies alive until a viable, effective vaccine will be developed and distributed will show up within the next 4-7 months. I just have to continue to stay away from other people until then.

Reactions: execwrite1

BlueOil

"well-informed"
Apr 28, 2010
Hydroxychloroquine with zinc has been shown to have anti-viral effects for several viruses and it's been known about in the scientific community for awhile if I'm not mistaken. There's going to be some new studies on it released soon that show it's effectiveness. I'm not an anti-vaxxer nutter i promise lol. That Richard Bartlett interview has been uploaded by a bunch of youtube accounts, I just randomly picked that one.

"Every patient that I've prescribed it to has been very ill and within 8-12 hours they were basically symptom free."

this should really read zinc with some help from hydroxychloroquine has been shown to be effective to properly arrange the emphasis here. zinc alone is what they're finding to be effective in blocking the virus' replication. the doctor explains they're only using hydroxychloroquine to allow the zinc to be more effective in the body, not that the hydroxychloroquine is effective in treating COVID. hence the concern with the political snippet doctor saying "it works" so casually - hard to take him seriously if he's so poorly cavalier with the important information. second doctor, again, dodges the "how many have you seen this work in?" question and redirects to other information instead of answering. i'm happy he's seeing small results, but that doesn't prove much. the zinc thing we already knew, zinc-based cold treatments have been available for years for that reason.

hyrdoxychloroquine is not recommended as a treatment and it's use to treat COVID has unfortunately only produced mixed results. small studies report success, but are not replicable. using it to treat COVID doesn't increase or decrease your chance of surviving the virus unless the doctors pair it with something that can help. a lot more research is needed, but so far doctors are using hydroxycholorquine for secondary effects to get the real treatment in. it's the coke in your rum and coke.

https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMoa2012410

Reactions: MilesNewton

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006
I've been reading a lot, and it seems that the current consensus is that it looks like all of the promising avenues of help probably won't be 100% cures, and even the various vaccines may well not have a 100% effectiveness in totally preventing everyone from contracting the disease. But, having more and more potential "treatments" and potential preventatives on the horizon, the most vulnerable may be able to survive and many may be able to come out of the bout with the virus without crippling permanent damage, through use of a combination of treatments all providing "partial" help from their cumulative effect. I don't believe that video's doctors 'findings" mean that he's found a panacea cure for The Earth's masses. But, I had heard from more than one epidemiologist who are working with groups on finding potential Covid-19 treatments, that steroids have been found to reduce the most debilitating effects of the immune system's overactivity on the victim's organs, and lessens the harshness of the symptoms that would otherwise occur.

For myself, I have less anxiety than I did when almost all people over 60 years old that were put on ventilators were dying. At that time, I thought that if I were to contract the virus, I surely wouldn't survive. But now, many people are just given oxygen without being put on the ventilator, and many more are surviving. That, together with lying on their stomachs, rather than their backs, and having steroids, and Remdezivir, or another of the promising partially effective dangerous extreme reaction reducing anti-inflammatory drugs or other treatments, gives me some hope that if I DO catch the virus, I may be able to live through it, and maybe even avoid major organ damage and needing a lung transplant, or being chained to a kidney machine or oxygen tank for the rest of my life.

Still, at this time, I don't dare go into a public building, airport waiting room, or airplane cabin. I won't even sit on outdoor tables of a restaurant. I'll have to wait for some kind of preventative with a decent lasting period of effectiveness, and a decent % of effectiveness on users. I have faith that some combination of methods to keep us oldies alive until a viable, effective vaccine will be developed and distributed will show up within the next 4-7 months. I just have to continue to stay away from other people until then.
Stay healthy Robb!

Reactions: Klank Loves You

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
Worldwide:
Total Cases: 36,729,075 (+339,402 today)
Active Cases: 8,040,247
Critical Cases: 67,769
Deaths: 1,066,228 (+6,235 today)
Recoveries: 27,622,600

Today we hit peak at new cases almost 350k infected people.

Second wave is on.

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
Europe is increasing heavily new cases. 2nd wave is really here and going to peaking at December - January.

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
Worldwide:
Total Cases: 39,528,715 (+377,276 today)
Active Cases: 8,802,500
Critical Cases: 71,321
Deaths: 1,107,991 (+5,559 today)
Recoveries: 29,618,224

Thallis

No half measures
Jan 23, 2010
Behind Blue Eyes
Death numbers are skewed. Too many deaths caused by other things attributed to C19.

This is a BS talking point that just isn't backed by any actual data. In the US alone there are more than 300k more deaths than the average year at this point. This is like arguing that AIDS has never killed anyone. If they would have lived had they not gotten the virus, then they died due to the virus.

MissouriMook

Still just a Mook among men
Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014
This is a BS talking point that just isn't backed by any actual data. In the US alone there are more than 300k more deaths than the average year at this point. This is like arguing that AIDS has never killed anyone. If they would have lived had they not gotten the virus, then they died due to the virus.
I wish I could like this more than once. Trying to steer the impact of the virus into so-called co-morbidities and away from COVID is akin to saying that you can't attribute a traffic death to drunk driving if the guy the drunk driver killed had terminal cancer and would have died in a few months anyway. As you point out, most of the people who have died from AIDS have died from pneumonia and other ailments, but AIDS actually caused the pneumonia.

This line of thinking is simply trying to understate the impact of how badly our national response has been mishandled and carries only political favor - there is no value to aiding the preservation of the human toll to making such an argument.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad