Season is over - thoughts on 2019/2020

Did this season ....

• Total voters

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
I'm not sure league average is ever impressive but whatever, impressive is a subjective term so ... whatever.
Well, we're better than most people think, and much better than any other year under this core. People tend to have this idea that to win the cup, we need to be super elite in offense, defense, and goaltending, when that's not really true. Obviously you always strive to improve, but this team's defense, when healthy, is very underrated.

Reactions: kb

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
I'm not sure league average is ever impressive but whatever, impressive is a subjective term so ... whatever.

When your supposedly bad (when healthy) defense has been decimated by injuries.... impressive might not be the right word. Illuminating would be better.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Well, we're better than most people think, and much better than any other year under this core. People tend to have this idea that to win the cup, we need to be super elite in offense, defense, and goaltending, when that's not really true. Obviously you always strive to improve, but this team's defense, when healthy, is very underrated.

When your supposedly bad (when healthy) defense has been decimated by injuries.... impressive might not be the right word. Illuminating would be better.

I think I'd go with "not too shabby" and I agree that our D is better than a lot of people think.

baton elevated

One Man Gang
Jun 4, 2009
Forgot about that.
Great players can do that to anyone. Not a reflection of Rielly, IMO
Exactly, Mcdavid was doing that to players all year. If Andy makes the save it's a none issue.....which he should have. It was a perfect storm of events, CM's move came just at the right time when Rielly was executing his cross over. Of course the media blew it up. Hated the play, it put Rielly in a bad light. As if it couldn't happen to others and in fact it did a couple of games later to someone else but he didn't score.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Exactly, Mcdavid was doing that to players all year. If Andy makes the save it's a none issue.....which he should have. It was a perfect storm of events, CM's move came just at the right time when Rielly was executing his cross over. Of course the media blew it up. Hated the play, it put Rielly in a bad light. As if it couldn't happen to others and in fact it did a couple of games later to someone else but he didn't score.
Andersen was already pulled in that game after giving up 3 goals. So it was Michael Hutchinson who allowed that McDavid goal.

baton elevated

One Man Gang
Jun 4, 2009
Thank you.

Has McDavid ever scored a similar goal like that where the Goalie had their blocker on their right hand?
I don't know. I'm basing my opinion on the fact Hutch couldn't stop it with his catcher (which is a faster motion) rather than a blocker which is is more cumbersome movement. IMO

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
Good breakdown and analysis.

Rielly and Barrie are the weaker links defensively but also face the toughest QofC at times, whereas Dermott would play more sheltered 3rd pairing minutes against lesser competition resulting in less mistakes and turnovers.

Ceci is prone to mistakes, but if he is playing top 4 or on the bottom pairing in a limited role those #'s you've presented also might reflect usage and QofC faced.

Natural Stick shows our Leafs were in the bottom 5-6 of the league in HDGA, HDSH% & HDSV% , giving up the most goals, most high danger shots% and lower save% from this chances surrendered.

For example the stats say Leafs gave up 122 HDGA which places them 26th in the league as highest goals allowed from high danger areas.

A lot of fans place the blame on Andersen for the most part, but he can't control how many and what kind of high danger scoring opportunities he faces as that falls on his teammates in front of him. His HDSV% is low, but that might also depend on quality of those chances he is facing also.

The eye test while watching our Leafs shows some egregious mistakes, giveaways and defensive zone breakdowns that lead to goals against, and these would be reflected in these negative stats that place the Leafs near the bottom of the league defensively in this respect.

What would you attribute that to?

Link: Team Season Totals - Natural Stat Trick

Other folks have already answered adequately but I'll just throw a few other things in.....

When it comes to QoC, dzone starts and defensive deployment, the least sheltered Dmen overall this year on the team would probably rank:

1. Muzzin
2. Ceci
3. Rielly
4. Holl
5. Barrie
6. Dermott

The rest.

Fewest 5v5 giveaways/60 this year:

1. Ceci: 1.45
2. Rielly 2.19
3. Dermott 2.69
4. Barrie 2.74
5. Holl 3.1
6. Muzzin 3.29

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Other folks have already answered adequately but I'll just throw a few other things in.....

When it comes to QoC, dzone starts and defensive deployment, the least sheltered Dmen overall this year on the team would probably rank:

1. Muzzin
2. Ceci
3. Rielly
4. Holl
5. Barrie
6. Dermott

The rest.

2. Rielly 2.19
3. Dermott 2.69
4. Barrie 2.74
5. Holl 3.1
6. Muzzin 3.29

So reading your stats provided does that suggest Muzzin faces the strongest QofC, however our shutdown pair of Muzzin and Holl are also the pairing that are credited with the most giveaways averaging > 3 giveaways each per 60?

Barrie and Dermott are the most sheltered in the Dzone via QofC but 2nd in terms of giveaways as a pairing despite facing easier competition.

Is that a correct interpretation?

Since I'm unsure of your source for this info may I ask how do Leafs Dman giveaways compare to the league average or maybe more relevant how do they compare to Columbus Dcore in these 2 categories?.

Last edited:

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005

1. Muzzin
2. Ceci
3. Rielly
4. Holl
5. Barrie
6. Dermott

The rest.

2. Rielly 2.19
3. Dermott 2.69
4. Barrie 2.74
5. Holl 3.1
6. Muzzin 3.29

Just to add, in terms of pure QOC, based on opponents' ice time, Rielly stands heads and shoulders above the rest facing top-end first line qoc all season, while muzzin/holl/ceci all have strong but only borderline top line qoc (with muzz/holl on their way up and ceci on his way down), Barrie has light 2nd line competition, while Dermott has faced 3rd pair qoc.

If I were to split toiqoc in to graded tiers it would look like this:

Rielly A

Muzzin B+
Holl B+
Ceci B+

Barrie B-

Dermott C

But you're right that factoring in zone deployment, muzz/holl/ceci have many less ozone shifts than Rielly does.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad