Pre-Game Talk: Season 2021-2022 Pre-game thread

The Marquis

Aug 24, 2020
Washougal, WA
Potentially good news. I bottled 3 of my small batch homemade wines tonight. Naturally drank the bottom of the barrel. That means drunk Marquis. For the record. All hand picked from nature or a family orchard. Boysenberry turned out ok. Apple turned out good to great. Huckleberry. Amazing. I’m a couple Steins into the huckleberry. If they win, I’ll drink before every game.

The Marquis

Aug 24, 2020
Washougal, WA
Well, is the Chicago game a must win? Feels like we need at least 2 of the next 4, preferably 4. Lol. Then it’s the Florida trip, tough. Then Buffalo and Detroit which takes us to December 1st, a month that on paper looks MUCH easier than November. Lots of games the Kraken ought to have a good shot at winning that month that would have an impact on the standings.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Well, is the Chicago game a must win? Feels like we need at least 2 of the next 4, preferably 4. Lol. Then it’s the Florida trip, tough. Then Buffalo and Detroit which takes us to December 1st, a month that on paper looks MUCH easier than November. Lots of games the Kraken ought to have a good shot at winning that month that would have an impact on the standings.

The Chicago game is one they should definitely have a chance in but its about as much of a 'must-win' for us as it is for Chicago since we are tied in the standings ... :) November is certainly a tough month and given the poor start we have had, it will be interesting to see where we are at before the end of the month.

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Not going to subscribe to anything to read Geoff Baker stuff, so I can only read a few lines.

Though, I doubt Hakstol will be released during the season.

I don't think he gets fired this season either. But by saying that the team is underperforming, once can definitely glean the fact that Francis expected the team to be better than it has been. Have to think coaching is something he sees as a potential issue.

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
I don't think he gets fired this season either. But by saying that the team is underperforming, once can definitely glean the fact that Francis expected the team to be better than it has been. Have to think coaching is something he sees as a potential issue.

I doubt that comment is about a specific issue or person.
It's more of a general thought given that they certainly believed to have assembled a team that can win it's fair share of games and are also feeling the unhappiness of the fan base growing.

I mean, even if it was thought to be a more traditional built, they certainly still expected more than four wins out 15 games.

Hakstol will certainly be evaluated during the season, just like the rest of the team and well, quite frankly, Francis(who might start feeling some pressure already) as well.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
I doubt that comment is about a specific issue or person.
It's more of a general thought given that they certainly believed to have assembled a team that can win it's fair share of games and are also feeling the unhappiness of the fan base growing.

I mean, even if it was thought to be a more traditional built, they certainly still expected more than four wins out 15 games.

Hakstol will certainly be evaluated during the season, just like the rest of the team and well, quite frankly, Francis(who might start feeling some pressure already) as well.

Right. But when a team is supposed to perform 'better' it generally falls on the coach for not getting the best out of the players. I know GMRF did not point out Hakstol specifically but no doubt in my mind that he is going to be in the hot seat soon (if he is not already).

Also, as far as GMRF being evaluated, he most certainly should be. But GM's generally have a much longer leash than the coaches do. If GMRF is unable to 'fix' the issue by year 2, I am pretty sure he will be next in line.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Can we stop the whole oh Seattle is just gonna fire their HC cause that won't do the team any good. Hakstol will get 2 season at least.
And who said that?

My interpretation from GMRF's comments was that he thinks the team is underperforming. And to me, when the team plays worse than the sum of their parts, it generally falls on the coach.

All that being said, I would be shocked if Hakstol gets fired this year. But he is certainly in the hot seat and will be given a good long look at the end of the season and will be on a very short leash at that time.

Reactions: Panteras

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
And who said that?

My interpretation from GMRF's comments was that he thinks the team is underperforming. And to me, when the team plays worse than the sum of their parts, it generally falls on the coach.

All that being said, I would be shocked if Hakstol gets fired this year. But he is certainly in the hot seat and will be given a good long look at the end of the season and will be on a very short leash at that time.

Its not going to happen...

Panteras

“I’ll remember this hell of a journey”- Barkov
Sep 14, 2009
Panther’s favorite strip club
And who said that?

I agree. This is bonus hockey right now but accountability will start after that. If the team finds itself in this same position in November next season Hakstol’s gone I think.

Reactions: Fistfullofbeer

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
I agree. This is bonus hockey right now but accountability will start after that. If the team finds itself in this same position in November next season Hakstol’s gone I think.

And how is that going to get them anywhere? Probably no where.

Panteras

Sep 14, 2009
And how is that going to get them anywhere? Probably no where.

:huh: Uhhh..I dunno maybe getting a better coach, why does any team make a coaching change? lol…

Granted the team Francis has put together is exactly what most people thought they were, obviously not what Francis thought. Same thing with the coach though…

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
:huh: Uhhh..I dunno maybe getting a better coach, why does any team make a coaching change? lol…

Granted the team Francis has put together is exactly what most people thought they were, obviously not what Francis thought. Same thing with the coach though…

And who out there will actually be better? Hmm?

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Can we stop the whole oh Seattle is just gonna fire their HC cause that won't do the team any good. Hakstol will get 2 season at least.

Do I expect him to be here at the start of the 2nd season? Yes. Do I have the confidence to state he will be there at the end of the 2nd season? No.

Sure, Hakstol can turn things around but a start like what this season has had in season #2 would make it very likely that he does not make it through the season. Our team is not guaranteed to be better next season (from a talent perspective). That will take atleast till season 3. GMRF has already said that he expects the team to be better than it has been WITH the current roster. The 1 person who can make the biggest impact there is actually Hakstol. Either he figures it out, or he won't be around here through the end of season #2.

Either that or GMRF is just posturing.

Reactions: Panteras

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
Do I expect him to be here at the start of the 2nd season? Yes. Do I have the confidence to state he will be there at the end of the 2nd season? No.

Sure, Hakstol can turn things around but a start like what this season has had in season #2 would make it very likely that he does not make it through the season. Our team is not guaranteed to be better next season (from a talent perspective). That will take atleast till season 3. GMRF has already said that he expects the team to be better than it has been WITH the current roster. The 1 person who can make the biggest impact there is actually Hakstol. Either he figures it out, or he won't be around here through the end of season #2.

Either that or GMRF is just posturing.

Its also the Seattle times spinning on a comment by Francis.

Panteras

Sep 14, 2009
And who out there will actually be better? Hmm?
Are you serious? There’s like a bunch of great options better than Hakstol out there.
Claude Julien, Rick Tocchet, Bruce Boudreau, Torts (will probably be the one to squeeze the most out of a bad roster like Seattle’s plus actually give Francis that defensively sound team he thought he built…), Babcock (although he’s a toxic person at this point), Rocky Thompson and Mike Velluci both younger coaches who’s stocks are rising like crazy recently, both will get a coaching job soon for sure, heck even Bob Hartley if he’s done in Russia after this season he can be a good option with his experience and proven NHL and KHL winner…

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany

Was expecting nothing else but Hakstol playing Grubauer today.

It does fit in his decision making given that he's always preferred to play Grubuaer in the "more winnable game" and gave D'Accord/Driedger the other game.
He did that in that back-to-back against NYR/EDM and on that short road trip against the Coyotes and Golden Knights.

Let's hope Grubi can have a good game tonight and maybe start turning it around.

Devil Dancer

Jan 21, 2006
Hi all,

Sorry to bother your forum (I'm a Caps fan), but is there a reason why Driedger never starts? I know he was hurt for a while, but thought he was healthy now.

Thanks!

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $150.00
    Event closes