Speculation: Search for a President of Hockey..... Oops

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 4, 2003
Embrun, ON
I have zero doubt that the league is playing a role here, which might actually mean strong candidates are considered etc...

I just can't imagine however that a candidate like Dean Lombardi would actually agree to come work for Eugene Melnyk.

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
How about Tim Murray. Now I know this is going to sound crazy to some but he and dorion were relatively close and that could at least give dorion someone on his side of the ring instead of him just taking it from melnyk constantly.

My answer is yes to listen his amazing public speaking skills.

“The Season starts this year on October 9th. We are going to have a roster. Thank you.”

Blotto71

I was wrong...the worst is NOT behind us.
May 12, 2013
Over There
This is huge, depending who the hire is. Right now, there’s no one between Melnyk and Dorion, who is Melnyk’s puppet. This changes that.

IF the Sens are even able to hire someone into the role, and I have my doubts about that, it will change nothing. Melnyk has demonstrated that he only hires people that will agree with him and follow directions. Since Murray passed he has been increasingly involved in the operation of the team, and I cannot see him giving any of that up. The first time a President of Hockey Ops went against his wishes he would be gone.

AchtzehnBaby

Global Matador
Mar 28, 2013
Hazeldean Road
IF the Sens are even able to hire someone into the role, and I have my doubts about that, it will change nothing. Melnyk has demonstrated that he only hires people that will agree with him and follow directions. Since Murray passed he has been increasingly involved in the operation of the team, and I cannot see him giving any of that up. The first time a President of Hockey Ops went against his wishes he would be gone.

I would double down on the fact that he knows time is running out for him and that he knows a lot of the fan base thinks he is an ass, that he now wants to prove he can get it done.

I think he will try to be like the leafs in their last rebuild and make sure that he gets the right people running the show.

I know most don't believe a thing he says, but we'll see in two years if there is actually light at the end of this dark tunnel.

LuckyPierre

Jul 1, 2010
You said they hinted at "the NHL intervening and demanding"

Just listened to the interview.

That is a far cry from what they said. You might want to listen to it again.

"maybe look for someone to come in and that could help this" is the quote you are spinning at rough;ly the 8 minute mark.

Am I wrong?

...best part of the interview is the 14 minute part. ;)
MacLean - "I wouldn't be surprised if they were in the process of hiring a president... somebody that would be an in between between Pierre Dorion.. and Eugene Melnyk.. to be able to give him advice, and that he would respect enough to listen to. "

Burke - "One thing I would bet my house on.. Ottawa got a call today from the NHL.. telling them to stop talking."

MacLean - "The NHL, when they're on that call - Gary Bettman, if he happens to be talking to Eugene, maybe suggests what we just said.. look for somebody that can come in here and help this."

The "suggests what we just said" portion of the alleged conversation between Melnyk and Bettman - a conversation which Brian Burke bet his house on the fact that it had taken place, is telling.

When Gary Bettman alledgedly suggests that Eugene Melnyk recruit a president of hockey operations, it doesn't read to me like it's a suggestion.

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I would love Brian Burke himself to come in. Then you set up a reality TV show simply called, "Brian and Euge" with cameras covering their one on one meetings. It would be amazing entertainment...

Reactions: Alf Silfversson

Blotto71

May 12, 2013
Over There
I would double down on the fact that he knows time is running out for him and that he knows a lot of the fan base thinks he is an ass, that he now wants to prove he can get it done.

I think he will try to be like the leafs in their last rebuild and make sure that he gets the right people running the show.

I know most don't believe a thing he says, but we'll see in two years if there is actually light at the end of this dark tunnel.

After his comments on the Leafs rebuild I think it would be entertaining if he based his hiring on an effort to emulate it.

If there is a hire made, I expect we will have a relatively clear idea of things when it comes time to extend Chabot...

Blotto71

May 12, 2013
Over There
MacLean - "I wouldn't be surprised if they were in the process of hiring a president... somebody that would be an in between between Pierre Dorion.. and Eugene Melnyk.. to be able to give him advice, and that he would respect enough to listen to. "

Burke - "One thing I would bet my house on.. Ottawa got a call today from the NHL.. telling them to stop talking."

MacLean - "The NHL, when they're on that call - Gary Bettman, if he happens to be talking to Eugene, maybe suggests what we just said.. look for somebody that can come in here and help this."

The "suggests what we just said" portion of the alleged conversation between Melnyk and Bettman - a conversation which Brian Burke bet his house on the fact that it had taken place, is telling.

When Gary Bettman alledgedly suggests that Eugene Melnyk recruit a president of hockey operations, it doesn't read to me like it's a suggestion.

I like MacLean and can (barely) tolerate Burke, certainly respect the insights of both. But I think you're bumping to some conclusions. Neither of them quote a source stating that there had been a call from the league, nevermind Bettman. They are speculating.

LuckyPierre

Jul 1, 2010
I like MacLean and can (barely) tolerate Burke, certainly respect the insights of both. But I think you're bumping to some conclusions. Neither of them quote a source stating that there had been a call from the league, nevermind Bettman. They are speculating.
I took a small leap, sure. But when Brian Burke, former NHL head office executive, says he bets his house the NHL did something, and when its hinted by him and Doug MacLean what that something was, I'd take that leap every time.

Blotto71

May 12, 2013
Over There
I took a small leap, sure. But when Brian Burke, former NHL head office executive, says he bets his house the NHL did something, and when its hinted by him and Doug MacLean what that something was, I'd take that leap every time.

Ok, but keep in mind that these guys are not managing teams or fulfilling league roles - as tv/radio personalities they get paid to sensationalize things so that people watch/listen to them.

LuckyPierre

Jul 1, 2010
Ok, but keep in mind that these guys are not managing teams or fulfilling league roles - as tv/radio personalities they get paid to sensationalize things so that people watch/listen to them.
Sure - however the two of them are very much still on the inside.

Edit- they speculated about the recruiting of a president of hockey operations a day and a half prior to the communiqué issued by the Senators. That's an indication of their knowledge of what's going on.

Reactions: bigfatfist

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
How about Tim Murray. Now I know this is going to sound crazy to some but he and dorion were relatively close and that could at least give dorion someone on his side of the ring instead of him just taking it from melnyk constantly.
I can’t imagine tim Murray and melnyk have a good relationship

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
At the end of the day I think the hiring will be someone no one has heard of. Much like our search for an AGM

Icelevel

Sep 9, 2009
Never in a million years.

They had a falling out when Tim left. That relationship, last I heard, is still very sore.
I wouldn’t bet against Dorion doing some slimey shit to ensure he was the only candidate left

GrantLemons

Church of FYOUS
Feb 3, 2013
Ottawa, ON

Exactly. Make no mistake, Eugene might be Gary's "boss", but Gary runs the show.

If you're making a mockery the league he's spent 25 years building, he's going to be pissed, and he's going to set you straight.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
I don't even think you need insider info to know that the league is contacting the sens to fix this shit storm

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Is they did? That I did not know
I wouldn’t bet against Dorion doing some slimey **** to ensure he was the only candidate left

Apparently Tim burned a lot of bridges with Dorion (not the org as a whole, just some personal stuff between Dorion & T.Murray) when he left.

That's the rumour, at least. There's a reason we never went back to Tim after Buffalo let him go, despite the years he worked here.

Icelevel

Sep 9, 2009
Apparently Tim burned a lot of bridges with Dorion when he left.

That's the rumour, at least. There's a reason we never went back to Tim after Buffalo let him go, despite the years he worked here.
Again, I can’t see how a guy like Tim Murray would want to work for(/take any shit from) a scum like melnyk. Dorion will work for anyone.

bigfatfist

Apr 17, 2012
History would predict that the Senators will promote Dorion to be President, MacTavish will be the new GM, and MacTavish's old duties will be divided across a group of ushers and concession stand workers.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Apparently Tim burned a lot of bridges with Dorion (not the org as a whole, just some personal stuff between Dorion & T.Murray) when he left.

I would hope total incompetence is the deciding factor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad