Speculation: Search for a President of Hockey..... Oops

Status
Not open for further replies.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
On the road , the long road, to respectability. I have a feeling it may be Terry Murray.

Clayonator

Aug 11, 2018
Vancouver
This could be similar to when Brian Burke took on the role of president in Calgary, expressed full faith in Jay Feaster GM and then a relatively short time later canned him and took on the intern role himself. I could see him hired here and do it again. He’s on my list as are Lombardi, Ferguson and Nonis, Holland (if not renewed), Weird 3 of the 4 are ex Leafs. My pipe dream though is Yzerman. Come home Stevie Y.

Rhaegar Targaryen

Jun 25, 2016
This is huge, depending who the hire is. Right now, there’s no one between Melnyk and Dorion, who is Melnyk’s puppet. This changes that.

Reactions: Icelevel

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
On the road , the long road, to respectability. I have a feeling it may be Terry Murray.
How about Tim Murray. Now I know this is going to sound crazy to some but he and dorion were relatively close and that could at least give dorion someone on his side of the ring instead of him just taking it from melnyk constantly.

Reactions: coladin

AchtzehnBaby

Global Matador
Mar 28, 2013
Hazeldean Road
Sad that hiring a position every other team in the NHL has is considered good news.

It’s considered good to great news in Ottawa when they act like a real NHL club. There can be no lower standard

FACT CHECK - Winnipeg does not have a president of hockey operations... it is shared role with GMs

Looks like most teams do not even have the unique role of President of Hockey Operations.

"In most other organizations, the President of Hockey Operations serves as a buffer between the owner and the GM and Coach. They hire the GM, have a say in the coach, and are the person the Owner puts in charge to make sure the team is run properly. It's an important division of power that takes pressure off of the GM, but allows the Owner to have say when they want to. A President of Hockey Operations will end up being more of a manager of personalities and employees, allowing a GM to focus on the hockey aspect, and the owner to not feel like they need their hands in everything."

Sounds like what Dorion needed. Someone to do the negotiating.

Last edited:
Reactions: Fixxer

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
A few things

First off, this is good news

Second, i don't think Melnyk is nearly as involved in hockey decisions as is sometimes portrayed here but he is involved in finances and hockey decisions do have financial implications. Having this buffer role will lessen his involvement

Third, we've extended scouts and we've brought in some credible people underneath PD. Having someone on top is moving us closer to what other hockey ops look like

Fourth, i think for someone with credibility to end up here, they will want the assurance that salary money is going to be spent. It's going to be lean next season but you look at the players and where they are in their contracts and salary needs to ramp up sharply the following year. Melnyk has said he'll do that. Let's see who occupies this seat. A credible name in that role implies to me that there's at least one person that believes in the FYOUS spending commitment.

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
A few things

First off, this is good news

Second, i don't think Melnyk is nearly as involved in hockey decisions as is sometimes portrayed here but he is involved in finances and hockey decisions do have financial implications. Having this buffer role will lessen his involvement

Third, we've extended scouts and we've brought in some credible people underneath PD. Having someone on top is moving us closer to what other hockey ops look like

Fourth, i think for someone with credibility to end up here, they will want the assurance that salary money is going to be spent. It's going to be lean next season but you look at the players and where they are in their contracts and salary needs to ramp up sharply the following year. Melnyk has said he'll do that. Let's see who occupies this seat. A credible name in that role implies to me that there's at least one person that believes in the FYOUS spending commitment.
HFBoards is not the only place that knows that Melnyk is too involved in hockey ops. Pretty sure even most of the insiders have confirmed this by now as well.

Also, who the heck are these credible people under Dorion have we brought in?

Reactions: Cosmix

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Better late than never; any time we add to the exec group, assuming with a qualified guy, it will be a big help imo.

Reactions: coladin

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
HFBoards is not the only place that knows that Melnyk is too involved in hockey ops. Pretty sure even most of the insiders have confirmed this by now as well.

Also, who the heck are these credible people under Dorion have we brought in?
Peter mctavich is credible for his role from what i understand. Not a fan of the ruszkowski hiring, and am ambivalent about aimee diezel

Upgrayedd

Earn'em and Burn'em
Oct 14, 2010
Ottawa
Probably just another distraction lie from the most recent blunder that they will not follow through on again

AchtzehnBaby

Global Matador
Mar 28, 2013
Hazeldean Road

You said they hinted at "the NHL intervening and demanding"

Just listened to the interview.

That is a far cry from what they said. You might want to listen to it again.

"maybe look for someone to come in and that could help this" is the quote you are spinning at rough;ly the 8 minute mark.

Am I wrong?

...best part of the interview is the 14 minute part. ;)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad