Speculation: Search for a President of Hockey..... Oops

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fandlauer

Apr 23, 2013
Ottawa unless it becomes a disaster
Were there any updates on this over the weekend from any of the big insiders, or is this idea of hiring a POHO just gonna disappear like the supposed hire of another assistant GM?
i1MVklE.png

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott
throwing out an under-the-radar name: Bobby Smith.

Thoughts ?

Smith has a pretty good thing going in his home province owning the Moosehead. Not sure why he'd take a job here.

I think the major problem this organization will have, besides money and a meddling owner (which are massive problems by themselves), is that most of the major decisions that a President would have wanted control over have already been made.

If you had gone to someone last February and said, "We need you to lead a rebuild. You have Karlsson, Stone, Duchene and Hoffman as assets to trade, full control to fire the coach and/or GM, and have an upcoming lottery pick" - that could have been attractive.

But now, we're basically saying:
• The prospects we have now are the ones you're stuck with because we've already dealt all of our top players
• You can't touch the GM because he has a 3 year contract
• The GM will hire a coach before you start

Why would you take that job?

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
• The prospects we have now are the ones you're stuck with because we've already dealt all of our top players

You forgot the part where the job will probably the lowest paid job of it's kind in the league.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
Its probably an attractive job for a guy who has some experience but not a lot. You pretty much get rope to not really perform or produce results for a year and just tank

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott
You forgot the part where the job will probably the lowest paid job of it's kind in the league.

Well yes, that will be problem numero uno, but even if you removed that barrier, it's still not a great opportunity, unless shopping Chris Tierney and Mikkel Boedker for picks next season excites you.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
At this point, I'm just going to assume it'll be Peter Chiarelli.

1) grew up in Ottawa --> local boy brownie points
2) has extensive hockey experience as both a GM and POHO --> can sell the fanbase on hiring "a guy who's been there before"
3) will probably sign for peanuts considering how his last job went --> maybe the most important factor
4) based on the dynamic iin the Oilers org, he clearly knows how to deal with erratic higher-level direction. --> someone needs to manage Melnyk, and Chia has experience dealing with Katz & the Old Boys Club up in Edmonton

Prove me wrong, Senators. Prove me wrong.

Blotto71

I was wrong...the worst is NOT behind us.
May 12, 2013
Over There

2) has extensive hockey experience as both a GM and POHO --> can sell the fanbase on hiring "a guy who's been there before"
3) will probably sign for peanuts considering how his last job went --> maybe the most important factor
4) based on the dynamic iin the Oilers org, he clearly knows how to deal with erratic higher-level direction. --> someone needs to manage Melnyk, and Chia has experience dealing with Katz & the Old Boys Club up in Edmonton

5. Former Assistant GM for the Ottawa Senators - this would complete the circle...

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013

It will be him, because we live in a computer simulation that is programmed is to produce lolsens moments.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Smith has a pretty good thing going in his home province owning the Moosehead. Not sure why he'd take a job here.

I think the major problem this organization will have, besides money and a meddling owner (which are massive problems by themselves), is that most of the major decisions that a President would have wanted control over have already been made.

If you had gone to someone last February and said, "We need you to lead a rebuild. You have Karlsson, Stone, Duchene and Hoffman as assets to trade, full control to fire the coach and/or GM, and have an upcoming lottery pick" - that could have been attractive.

Why would you take that job?

This is so ludicrous but true!

Perhaps it is an epiphany that the Senators have so screwed up that they finalize realize what they have done. Nope, not it.

They see the POHO as an assistant to Dorion, someone to “bounce ideas off of” as they draft players for FYOUS. Good grief. I think the “S” is not for Success. The first three letters of the work are right though “Suc”. It is only missing a “k”! :)

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Lol we arent getting a tenured coach,or a management professional.....Two reasons they cost money and second nobody will want anything to do with our lunatic owner...We will dumpster dive and just as per usual be left disappointed

Reactions: Emerica

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
Lol we arent getting a tenured coach,or a management professional.....Two reasons they cost money and second nobody will want anything to do with our lunatic owner...We will dumpster dive and just as per usual be left disappointed
We are like well over a month into their "supposed" search for a POHO and their hasn't even been one name linked or floated out there as a potential candidate, all we hear is that people have expressed the fact that they are NOT interested, but that's it.

On the coaching front, even the Buffalo Sabres have had names floated out there, here in Ottawa, crickets. Pretty much every team has moved quickly in their coaching search, so that they can probably move on with their summer and the next task at hand. Meanwhile, Pierre and Eugene are probably taking as much time as they can so they don't have anyone to pay for as long as possible.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
We are like well over a month into their "supposed" search for a POHO and their hasn't even been one name linked or floated out there as a potential candidate, all we hear is that people have expressed the fact that they are NOT interested, but that's it.

On the coaching front, even the Buffalo Sabres have had names floated out there, here in Ottawa, crickets. Pretty much every team has moved quickly in their coaching search, so that they can probably move on with their summer and the next task at hand. Meanwhile, Pierre and Eugene are probably taking as much time as they can so they don't have anyone to pay for as long as possible.
Yep agreed,this team will go no where with those two baffoons....I expect us to start quickly next season,then fade after 10 or so games...Then be a lottery team

RAFI BOMB

May 11, 2016
Don't be disappointed. If you think about it... PD is really just an assistant GM in a GM role.

And yet the B Sens haven't made the playoffs since he was named co assistant GM all those years ago. So even as an assistant GM one could question his competency.

So made to adjust your quote. PD is really just a bottom five in the league assistant GM in a GM role.

As for our actual assistant GM I can't remember his name either. He was just a labor lawyer brought in to negotiate more favorable contracts for Melnyk. Seeing as the B Sens missed the playoffs what did he really bring to the table as an assistant GM?

RAFI BOMB

May 11, 2016
Yep agreed,this team will go no where with those two baffoons....I expect us to start quickly next season,then fade after 10 or so games...Then be a lottery team

It is a great draft class next year. Of all seasons to suck, next season is probably a good one given the talent in the draft.

Reactions: topshelf15
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad