Speculation: Search for a President of Hockey..... Oops

Status
Not open for further replies.

billpo

Jun 28, 2006
You know you're running a bad shop when an exclusive position, of which there are only 31 of, becomes available, and numerous credible candidates are declining opportunities to even interview.
exactly!!!....if that doesn't send a clear message, than I don't know what does...

Reactions: Cosmix

billpo

Jun 28, 2006
It's not far from what's being reported by the MSM (at least in terms of the authority).

As far as the lower pay, we have one of the lowest paid coaches, one of the lowest paid GM's and one of the most bare bones front office in terms of hockey ops in the entire league. I don't think it's a stretch to think the POHO position will be one of the lower paid ones in the league, it's easier to believe than the alternative anyways.
this is where the term "you get what you paid for" comes in...

Reactions: topshelf15

Sens

Jan 7, 2016
I was reading the Canucks board on there search for a new President

- Apparently Linden was making 3.0 a year in his role
- Lombardi turned down 4.0 a year twice

Basically a good President is going to demand 3-5 million a season

So that’s why this search here has seemingly went cold... the club can’t afford a President

Reactions: billpo and Deku

The Lewler

GOAT BUDGET AINEC
Jul 2, 2013
Eastern Ontario Badlands
This is all lol.

No owner would surrender total control to their President of Hockey Ops. They would grant significant autonomy, but the buck still does stop with the owner.

Knowing that, no one could rationally believe Melnyk would grant them significant autonomy, and has a well earned reputation for mercurial and erratic behaviour.

Add that to rumours that the Sens pay on the distinct low end of market value (dare I say, the Sens might set the bottom on those salary bands?) , all you are going to get is pretty unqualified rando's who are trying to take a moonshot and climb into a big time executive position.

Upgrayedd

Earn'em and Burn'em
Oct 14, 2010
Ottawa
Submitted my resume recently but still waiting to hear back. I don't realistically expect a POHO hire here and for this search to simply disappear due to the salary offer and historical reputation that has been amassed and we have gone over 100 times here. I do enjoy the media reporting that Geno is being turned down by anyone and everyone though.

Reactions: coladin

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Submitted my resume recently but still waiting to hear back. I don't realistically expect a POHO hire here and for this search to simply disappear due to the salary offer and historical reputation that has been amassed and we have gone over 100 times here. I do enjoy the media reporting that Geno is being turned down by anyone and everyone though.
Need to lower our salary ask,and demonstrate any god like abilities...Such as walking on water,turning water into wine,and the ability to fly or levitate....

Reactions: Upgrayedd

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009

Might help if you have spare organs he can have. Rumour on the street is Poo-Jeans needs a new brain.

Reactions: Cosmix

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
We are not getting anyone with any significant experience. Those individuals:

- Are too expensive
- Do not want to shishkabob any potential future jobs due to being responsible for a roster set up to fail and that ownership will not financially support

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
I was reading the Canucks board on there search for a new President

- Apparently Linden was making 3.0 a year in his role
- Lombardi turned down 4.0 a year twice

Basically a good President is going to demand 3-5 million a season

So that’s why this search here has seemingly went cold... the club can’t afford a President
Wow. Ya, that about seals it.

Everyone needs to have extremely low expectations here obviously.

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Kruger might be a good fit in that he is unlikely to be demanding huge money, and is unlikely to be in the running for the Edmonton or NYR jobs. He's also reached a station in life where Eugene's temper tantrums would probably just roll off his back, much like they did with Bryan Murray. I like the fact that he is a smart, innovative thinker with international experience - frankly I don't get the fascination some fans have with guys whose only qualifications are being a well known former player.

My only question is the reporting structure. It's unclear to me if we are hiring Dorion's boss or not. I don't believe in horizontal management or "shared authority" - someone has to be in charge. I'd be very comfortable if it was Kruger, provided he moves to Ottawa full time. I have zero interest in a "commuter executive" who just flies in here and stays at the Brookstreet on an as-needed basis, but who actually lives elsewhere a la Tom Anselmi.

RAFI BOMB

May 11, 2016
Read a tweet from a Sens fans about "Melnyk stories" being passed around. So yes, take it with a grain of salt but one of them was that Murray received 7 calls from Melnyk between the beginning and end of a game to fire Maclean and Murray did not fire him.

If true, that is what you're signing up for. The NHL is a close knit org, so these stories, once again if true, are probably known by the people being interviewed for this job.

Melnyk has a bad reputation and by himself he likely wouldn't be able to attract many high quality candidates. The positive of the current scenario is that the league is involved in the process. Melnyk is likely on a tight leash and on thin ice given his recent behavior so Bettman and the league are keeping a close eye on him. Secondly quality candidates may realize that they are going the league and Bettman a favor by helping out in Ottawa. Any quality executive would know that having a good standing with Bettman and having him kind of owe them a favor is good news for their career longevity.

Multiple candidates will still turn the Sens down but there are likely a handful that see the value in having Bettman owe them a favor.

Reactions: PeterSidorkiewicz

branch

#GirlBoss #Vibes
Jan 12, 2008
Kruger might be a good fit in that he is unlikely to be demanding huge money, and is unlikely to be in the running for the Edmonton or NYR jobs. He's also reached a station in life where Eugene's temper tantrums would probably just roll off his back, much like they did with Bryan Murray. I like the fact that he is a smart, innovative thinker with international experience - frankly I don't get the fascination some fans have with guys whose only qualifications are being a well known former player.

My only question is the reporting structure. It's unclear to me if we are hiring Dorion's boss or not. I don't believe in horizontal management or "shared authority" - someone has to be in charge. I'd be very comfortable if it was Kruger, provided he moves to Ottawa full time. I have zero interest in a "commuter executive" who just flies in here and stays at the Brookstreet on an as-needed basis, but who actually lives elsewhere a la Tom Anselmi.

If he was the Chairman of Southampton FC in the Premier League, I'm sure he can handle the Ottawa Senators...good enough for me.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
If he was the Chairman of Southampton FC in the Premier League, I'm sure he can handle the Ottawa Senators...good enough for me.
Based on previously revealed salary for top directors at southampton FC he was likely making 2 mil or more a year. I imagine he would reqire a raise to be lured out of that assuming staying was an option

Clayonator

Aug 11, 2018
Vancouver
Would love it if we landed Krueger as president of hockey ops. Brilliant guy. What’s funny is he’d probably make a great coach here too. Then he’d just need to cut out the middle man in Dorion as GM and would literally be the organization.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Would love it if we landed Krueger as president of hockey ops. Brilliant guy. What’s funny is he’d probably make a great coach here too. Then he’d just need to cut out the middle man in Dorion as GM and would literally be the organization.
Demote Dorion to GM of Belleville and Brampton

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad