Confirmed with Link: Sean Kuraly signs with CBJ (4 years, $2.5M AAV)

ThisIsMyAlibi

Fantilli&Werenski&Gaudreau&Laine&Johnson&Jiricek
Mar 16, 2010
Ohio
If we're gonna be awful, might as well fill the roster with guys who actually want to be here. Dublin kid makes sense.

JacketLife

Aug 2, 2020
Can’t complain. Having Columbus natives might help our young guys and Laine fall in love with the city. Replaced Cam on the PK. Doesn’t break the bank.

Kalus

Sep 27, 2003
Florida
I wish him the best, but I figured he wouldn't do better than 2 years at about $1.5M AAV. This contract is kind of shocking.

He was a really good 100% effort 100% of the time buzzsaw-type guy his first few years in Boston. Good PK and occasionally would come up with some huge timely goals. Really fast skater for his size. Good on cycles. Sometimes you'd convince yourself he could be a 3rd liner, but then when he moved up you could see that he just couldn't process things quickly enough. The coach would say he had "happy feet".

These past two seasons he has kind of been a shell of himself. Maybe it all turns around for him now. Best of luck to him.

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011
Hearing news of this signing was like hearing that I need to prep for a colonoscopy. Based on where this team is and the direction we need to be going, signing another version of Riley Nash makes no sense.

I’ll give Jarmo props for some very good work in the last week, but I’ll blast him for this unnecessary move - especially for 4 years of term.

Reactions: JacketsDavid

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
It helps when they're from here.

upload_2021-7-28_14-36-19.png

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
I wish him the best, but I figured he wouldn't do better than 2 years at about $1.5M AAV. This contract is kind of shocking.

He was a really good 100% effort 100% of the time buzzsaw-type guy his first few years in Boston. Good PK and occasionally would come up with some huge timely goals. Really fast skater for his size. Good on cycles. Sometimes you'd convince yourself he could be a 3rd liner, but then when he moved up you could see that he just couldn't process things quickly enough. The coach would say he had "happy feet".

These past two seasons he has kind of been a shell of himself. Maybe it all turns around for him now. Best of luck to him.

He got the "Welcome home" bonus.

GoJackets1

Someday.
Aug 21, 2008
Montana
I watched Kuraly a lot at Miami and tracked him closely in Boston. He is an excellent PKer and faceoff guy. Both of those things we desperately need, especially PK after the loss of Cam. He plays hard and has good size. I also feel strongly that he has more offense in him than has been seen due to misuse/depth in Boston. He was a very similar player to Blake Coleman at Miami, and could potentially become a 15G 15 A guy given different usage than he got in Boston. A 20-30 point "hard to play against" center that is rock-solid on defense and faceoffs is exactly the kind of guy every team needs. Especially a team as weak down the middle as we are currently. $2.5m is not that much of an overpay, if at all. I have no concerns that this is going to turn into another Riley Nash type signing.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Fourth line C making fourth line C money. Okay

However I have to say I’m not a fan of 4 year term for a fourth liner. But it is what it is. What he brings we desperately need. And I don’t think his game will break down with age faster than any other player. So it’s fine

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
Fourth line C making fourth line C money. Okay

Not really. Twice as long on the term, twice as much on the AAV.

Hinostroza 1 x $1.05
Kampf 2 x $1.5
Bellemare 2 x $1m
Khaira 2 x $.975
Amadio 1 x $1.075
Glendening 2 x $1.5 (I suppose Glendening is more for faceoffs, don't think he PKs much)

I can't find a single 4th liner who signed for $2m+ AAV. And I can't find any that signed for 3+ years. This is way more term and AAV than necessary for a 4th liner, but I suppose that's kind of Jarmo's MO with contracts.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad