Confirmed with Link: Sean Kuraly signs with CBJ (4 years, $2.5M AAV)

MissADD

Jun 21, 2018
Silvermoon City
Not really. Twice as long on the term, twice as much on the AAV.

Hinostroza 1 x $1.05
Kampf 2 x $1.5
Bellemare 2 x $1m
Khaira 2 x $.975
Amadio 1 x $1.075
Glendening 2 x $1.5 (I suppose Glendening is more for faceoffs, don't think he PKs much)

I can't find a single 4th liner who signed for $2m+ AAV. And I can't find any that signed for 3+ years. This is way more term and AAV than necessary for a 4th liner, but I suppose that's kind of Jarmo's MO with contracts.

Its possible that
A) He is considered one of the best 4th line Cs out there so he got paid more
or, and what I think is the case
B) They see him as a 3rd line C

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
$2.5m is not that much of an overpay, if at all. I have no concerns that this is going to turn into another Riley Nash type signing.

Sean Kuraly's last season was worse than any season of Riley Nash's career.

The thing about Riley Nash is that at worst you're going to get a zero-zero guy. Kuraly hasn't been that. He's much more erratic game-to-game and year-to-year. His first seasons he'd comfortably earn more than $2.5m in UFA, the last two not NHL caliber. That's why this 4 year term is an unfortunate risk for the Jackets. And I say this as someone who was hoping we'd sign Kuraly.

Monk

Feb 5, 2008

The thing about Riley Nash is that at worst you're going to get a zero-zero guy. Kuraly hasn't been that. He's much more erratic game-to-game and year-to-year. His first seasons he'd comfortably earn more than $2.5m in UFA, the last two not NHL caliber. That's why this 4 year term is an unfortunate risk for the Jackets. And I say this as someone who was hoping we'd sign Kuraly.

So we gotta learn from the past and trade him before the last 2 seasons then

GoJackets1

Someday.
Aug 21, 2008
Montana

He did have a bad season this past year for sure. I have an opinion on the kind of player I think he can be, as I stated previously. Hopefully I'm not egregiously wrong, but I'm still not worried that he's going to do anything other than improve. Also, the reason I'm not concerned about the term is that we're no longer in the area of having to worry about the cap, and I don't expect to be for awhile. If we were still a top 10 spending team, then yeah I'd be concerned.

Toe Pick

Jun 13, 2011
Columbus, OH
Hometown discount? :sarcasm:

But yeah, love to have him. Not in love with that contact. Will take it over a lot of the other craziness thrown around today though.

One surprise is he won 57% of his 399 draws last year but he's been kind up and down over the years. Boone was our best winning 55% of his 546 draws.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
He did have a bad season this past year for sure. I have an opinion on the kind of player I think he can be, as I stated previously. Hopefully I'm not egregiously wrong, but I'm still not worried that he's going to do anything other than improve. Also, the reason I'm not concerned about the term is that we're no longer in the area of having to worry about the cap, and I don't expect to be for awhile. If we were still a top 10 spending team, then yeah I'd be concerned.

- Ideally we should have some consideration of both the upside and the downside. There must be some reason why he struggled so much this past season.

- I agree that cap hits don't matter for the Jackets for the next two or three years. But by year 3 and certainly by year 4, we just don't know what situation the club will be in. They might be really excited to trade for a big ticket player and be scrounging for every bit of cap space. That's why I'd have preferred a $3.25m x 2.

- We don't even know if we need another center by years 3 and 4. We have Sillinger coming, possibly also Johnson at center, and Dunne and Voronkov are both solid centers that should be in the bottom six. Add that to Roslovic. Kuraly might not be a fit long term.

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe

Hey! We won!
May 30, 2003
Meh much ado about nothing. Jackets have easily traded or bought out worse contracts in the past. While that isn't ideal, it's easily disposable if need be.

Here's hoping it isn't an issue but if it is it'll be a small issue.

If it's not a small issue then this team has much larger problems.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Meh much ado about nothing. Jackets have easily traded or bought out worse contracts in the past. While that isn't ideal, it's easily disposable if need be.

Here's hoping it isn't an issue but if it is it'll be a small issue.

If it's not a small issue then this team has much larger problems.

If he plays another year as badly as this last one, then no, that is not as disposable as you think it is. It would be three years left for a useless player. No one is taking that without a price.

Reactions: MoeBartoli

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009

Hinostroza 1 x $1.05
Kampf 2 x $1.5
Bellemare 2 x $1m
Khaira 2 x $.975
Amadio 1 x $1.075
Glendening 2 x $1.5 (I suppose Glendening is more for faceoffs, don't think he PKs much)

I can't find a single 4th liner who signed for $2m+ AAV. And I can't find any that signed for 3+ years. This is way more term and AAV than necessary for a 4th liner, but I suppose that's kind of Jarmo's MO with contracts.

Most of those guys are fringe NHLers, not fourth liners.

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe

Hey! We won!
May 30, 2003
If he plays another year as badly as this last one, then no, that is not as disposable as you think it is. It would be three years left for a useless player. No one is taking that without a price.

Buy him out. Happens all the time.

I don't love the contract but here amid a lack of other interesting CBJ news today I think folks a making a bigger issue out of a pretty minor deal.

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe

Hey! We won!
May 30, 2003
I am just saying I think it's a mistake. Is that allowed? It's obviously not franchise-altering.

Fair.

And I'm saying if you're right it won't be hard to dispose of. So NBD. They dumped 2 yrs and about $5 million of Nutivarra for AHL depth. They're eating $12.5 million of Wennberg money for the next 5 years via buyout.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Fair.

And I'm saying if you're right it won't be hard to dispose of. So NBD. They dumped 2 yrs and about $5 million of Nutivarra for AHL depth. They're eating $12.5 million of Wennberg money for the next 5 years via buyout.

Right and I would put this signing as potentially on the level of smartness as the Wennberg contract we signed.

I.e. not the end of the world, just merely unfortunate.

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe

Hey! We won!
May 30, 2003
closer to 3.5mm but whats 9mm between posters?

My bad. I thought the buyout was the remaining deal spread over double the time or about $2.5 million/yr. But that's cap space. I now see the actual money is 1/3 or 2/3 depending on age.

That only reinforces my Kuraly point though. It won't be hard to get rid of him if he's a total dud.

Reactions: Viqsi and EspenK

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
I don't love the contract but here amid a lack of other interesting CBJ news today I think folks a making a bigger issue out of a pretty minor deal.
This, absolutely this. And I'll admit I haven't exactly been helping by yelling at folks to cut that nonsense out. (Spending lots of time around nieces and nephews has left me with a bit of a hair-trigger for gradeschool-level reasoning. ;) )

I'd have preferred if we could have tried to buy low on the guy, but I think he's a worthwhile add and it's not exactly a Horrible Doom Contract Of Doom. Just not optimal.

Columbus Jack

He's from Columbus
Nov 25, 2009
PA

Hinostroza 1 x $1.05
Kampf 2 x $1.5
Bellemare 2 x $1m
Khaira 2 x $.975
Amadio 1 x $1.075

Lol I don't understand Jarmo, we'll play hard ball with RFAs but then give Sean Kuraly 2.5 mil for 4 years just because he's from Columbus and wants to be here. Yikes

Reactions: DarkandStormy

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
He's got significant playoff experience, great locker room guy, wins face-offs will likely be on the #1 PK and makes about $3MM less than other players that did similar things, minus winning face-offs. The Cap goes up $1MM the next two years and is flat this year. The money and term won't impact this team as he'll side into a 4th line roll within the next 2 years. Really isn't terrible. And he has upside still.

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
Most of those guys are fringe NHLers, not fourth liners.

Which ones lol

They all played 11+ minutes a game last season. All but one played 12+ minutes a game. Only Amadio played any AHL games.

What are you talking about?

Find me a 4th line center who signed today for 3 years+, $2m+ AAV.

Buckcub

Jul 22, 2009
C-Bus
Right and I would put this signing as potentially on the level of smartness as the Wennberg contract we signed.

I.e. not the end of the world, just merely unfortunate.
I respect you and your opinions, but comparing this 4/$10m contract to Wennberg's 6/$29.4m is cuckoo bananas hyperbole that you would rip another poster for.

Reactions: Viqsi and Xoggz22

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->