Confirmed with Link: Sean Kuraly signs with CBJ (4 years, $2.5M AAV)

Buckcub

Jul 22, 2009
C-Bus
Find me a 4th line center who signed today for 3 years+, $2m+ AAV.
Adam Lowry 5y/16.25 WPG
Faksa 4/13 DAL
They'll both play more 3rd than 4th, but Kuraly might for us too. Their production is similar, tho. We paid him a little more because we expect him to PK and take some big FOs. Prolly threw him an extra yr because he's local. This deal is not unprecedented.
Rather have this than 33yr Bonino at 2/$4.3

Reactions: teddygmr

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Just read thru the Kuraly thread on the Bruins board. You would think lots of them are Jacket fans. Said he is declining, wouldn't go 4 years and the $ are ridiculous. Hmmm.

Mikey09

Mar 28, 2013
Bratislava
Are deals for Connor Murphy and Jansen Harkins done already? We may also try to add some local staff, what about Nate Leaman, Trent Vogelhuber, Brett Haskins, Bryan Smolinski, Ian Moran, Peter Harrold or Ben Simon?

Just kidding but Im really excited to see hometown or Ohio boys in CBJ jersey, im in love with that idea!

Who will be next? Similiar as Cole Sillinger, we are finally coming to see more and more youngsters, kids of former CBJ players which were born in Columbus during that stint.
Some interesting names are David Spacek, Lucas Pirjeta, Cole Chimera or Matheas Hejda.

Last edited:

LetsGOJackets!!

Mar 23, 2004
Columbus Ohio
Foligno gets 2 x 3.8M from the B's, Kuraly gets 4 x 2.5M: both guys are excited for their opportunities. Such different roles to be played - I'm happy we got Sean, he needs to fill some gritty minutes for us.

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
Just read thru the Kuraly thread on the Bruins board. You would think lots of them are Jacket fans. Said he is declining, wouldn't go 4 years and the $ are ridiculous. Hmmm.
isnt that what most fans of a certain team do.. rationalize ? Ive heard quite a few opinions that he has skill set to be a 15-20g scorer similiar to Boone, but better speed. You have an identity line with Jenner, Kulary, and Robinson.. who cares if its 3 yrs or 4 yrs... hes younger player.. the $ involved are easily bought out if need be . Arent you guys watching as Tampa, Colorado easlily navigate the salary cap ? Their will always be teams that bail out the teams in trouble..

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
isnt that what most fans of a certain team do.. rationalize ? Ive heard quite a few opinions that he has skill set to be a 15-20g scorer similiar to Boone, but better speed. You have an identity line with Jenner, Kulary, and Robinson.. who cares if its 3 yrs or 4 yrs... hes younger player.. the $ involved are easily bought out if need be . Arent you guys watching as Tampa, Colorado easlily navigate the salary cap ? Their will always be teams that bail out the teams in trouble..

Oh, yeah. Bolts just let their whole 3rd line who were instrumental in their success walk because they couldn't afford. them. And Savard who they liked in the playoffs. And Tyler Johnson who was a do it all guy for them. And Colorado had to panic to get a new goalie and are apparently letting Brandon Saad walk. In a flat cap world you have to be really careful with $ & term.

Reactions: MoeBartoli and Monk

JacketsDavid

Jan 11, 2013
Oh, yeah. Bolts just let their whole 3rd line who were instrumental in their success walk because they couldn't afford. them. And Savard who they liked in the playoffs. And Tyler Johnson who was a do it all guy for them. And Colorado had to panic to get a new goalie and are apparently letting Brandon Saad walk. In a flat cap world you have to be really careful with $ & term.

In every sport with a hard cap it comes down to a few players making most of the money, then assembling (usually via draft) cheap/affordable players around them.

It's easy to tell where the CBJ will need to spend money at in the future - on the blue line (where we are very light in dollars spent now) and on playmaking forwards. Who knows when we will need to spend that money (maybe in 2022-23, likely in 2023-24).

I agree there will always be teams trying to win, always be teams trying to lose and a lot of teams in the middle who are trying not to lose (that is where I think the Jackets have been most of the years).

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
I think those examples show that, in the event the Jackets are fortunate enough to find themselves in a similar situation to Tampa Bay and Colorado in a few years, they will make cuts out of the 3rd line rather than guys at the top.

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
Adam Lowry 5y/16.25 WPG
Faksa 4/13 DAL
They'll both play more 3rd than 4th, but Kuraly might for us too. Their production is similar, tho. We paid him a little more because we expect him to PK and take some big FOs. Prolly threw him an extra yr because he's local. This deal is not unprecedented.
Rather have this than 33yr Bonino at 2/$4.3

Lowry signed in April. I was asking for UFA signings. Lowry has also shown flashes of being a 40-point pace guy, including last season.

Faksa is a lot better than Kuraly (perhaps not at PK'ing but he hasn't been asked to do a ton of it in Dallas (less than 2 minutes a game for his career).

Yes, Bonino is better than Kuraly by quite a bit and didn't require a 4-year term. No indication he had any interest in Columbus, so who knows.

Reactions: MoeBartoli

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
Lol I don't understand Jarmo, we'll play hard ball with RFAs but then give Sean Kuraly 2.5 mil for 4 years just because he's from Columbus and wants to be here. Yikes

I suppose you can consider the extra ~$1m per year over market value as a "marketing expense." I do kind of feel bad for Kuraly...it'll be 2024 and he'll still be asked "what's it like to have come home to play in front of these fans?" and nothing he does on the ice will matter. It's just going to be, "he's from here!" non-stop.

MissADD

Jun 21, 2018
Silvermoon City
Is this supposed to make me feel better about this front office's talent evaluation?

The top 3 centers in Boston last year were Patrice Bergeron, David Krejci and Charlie Coyle. Its entire possible Kuraly could have been able to play 3C in Boston and not be better than Coyle, so he didn't. Its not like he was the 4C in Buffalo

Reactions: teddygmr

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
NO ONE IS LOYAL!!! NO ONE WANTS TO PLAY IN COLUMBUS!!!!

The front office shipped out the most vocal guy who loved Columbus, so I sure hope we drop the "loyalty" slogan for a long time. It's clearly not a two-way street. Most fans are smart enough to know it's just that - a marketing ploy - but it would be pretty embarrassing and cringe-worthy if the FO kept pushing that talking point.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
I suppose you can consider the extra ~$1m per year over market value as a "marketing expense." I do kind of feel bad for Kuraly...it'll be 2024 and he'll still be asked "what's it like to have come home to play in front of these fans?" and nothing he does on the ice will matter. It's just going to be, "he's from here!" non-stop.
Did you know that Jack Roslovic hails from Columbus as well?

Last edited:
Reactions: DarkandStormy

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011
6074BE31-ADC0-4217-9E58-D7A79A856611.png

Dom for The Athletic

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->