Confirmed with Link: Sean Kuraly signs with CBJ (4 years, $2.5M AAV)

JacketsDavid

Jan 11, 2013
Come on the guy has a lifetime 5.2% shooting percentage why shouldn't we expect great things, he just needs an opportunity!

#sarcasm

Monk

Feb 5, 2008
Me too, I just regret committing for so long to someone on such a bet. Like you'd think you could get a player like this on a two year prove it contract, after how brutal his year was.

Agreed, but my response is "apparently not."

Because if he could have, I assume Jarmo would have.

Reactions: Viqsi

NotWendell

Has also never won the lottery.
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
Me too, I just regret committing for so long to someone on such a bet. Like you'd think you could get a player like this on a two year prove it contract, after how brutal his year was.
If he sucks, we can always buy him out (if we cant trade him). I don't expect him to score many goals, but I don't think he'll suck.

Reactions: Monk

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
Unless he stinks and we're trying to ship him off to a rebuilding team, then we're forced into buying him out.

If the rebuild is successful, buying him out pushes the cap hit to the future when we would need cap space for our solid playoff team filled with young studs.

First choice would be to trade (or trade with retention), but in your scenario he blocks the trade. Second choice is send him to Cleveland. Buy out wouldn’t make sense. If he is in Cleveland he only counts about $1.4 million against the cap until the contract is up. And then it is his choice, waive the NTC to let the trade go through or stay in the minors.

Kalus

Sep 27, 2003
Florida
I was a big fan of Kuraly's game in Boston, particularly his first 2 or 3 years. How has he been playing in Columbus? His stats are pretty good for him, but has he been a good addition overall?

GoJackets1

Someday.
Aug 21, 2008
Montana
I watched Kuraly a lot at Miami and tracked him closely in Boston. He is an excellent PKer and faceoff guy. Both of those things we desperately need, especially PK after the loss of Cam. He plays hard and has good size. I also feel strongly that he has more offense in him than has been seen due to misuse/depth in Boston. He was a very similar player to Blake Coleman at Miami, and could potentially become a 15G 15 A guy given different usage than he got in Boston. A 20-30 point "hard to play against" center that is rock-solid on defense and faceoffs is exactly the kind of guy every team needs. Especially a team as weak down the middle as we are currently. $2.5m is not that much of an overpay, if at all. I have no concerns that this is going to turn into another Riley Nash type signing.
I'm extremely happy with how Kuraly's first year has gone. He's been one of our most consistent players, played in every game- is a mainstay on the PK, and has lifted the play of a number of guys. When the Tex-Kuraly-Robby line was on, that's when the team was playing their best hockey.

I'm also pretty happy with how close he's gotten to my 15G-15A assessment at the time of his signing, sure makes me looks smart. :laugh: I'm hoping he can improve on faceoffs next year, strangely he regressed nearly 10% in that category. Maybe we legitimately need a coach dedicated to faceoffs when even strong faceoff guys come here and struggle.

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
I'm extremely happy with how Kuraly's first year has gone. He's been one of our most consistent players, played in every game- is a mainstay on the PK, and has lifted the play of a number of guys. When the Tex-Kuraly-Robby line was on, that's when the team was playing their best hockey.

I'm also pretty happy with how close he's gotten to my 15G-15A assessment at the time of his signing, sure makes me looks smart. :laugh: I'm hoping he can improve on faceoffs next year, strangely he regressed nearly 10% in that category. Maybe we legitimately need a coach dedicated to faceoffs when even strong faceoff guys come here and struggle.
Keep in mind that faceoffs aren't just on the guy in the dot. This team as a whole needs to learn the art of coverage and support during a faceoff. Fast stick is half the battle. Sean works at this all off season and I suspect this is just a little tougher year. I agree completely that he's been a great addition.

Last edited:

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
Arena District - Columbus
I was a big fan of Kuraly's game in Boston, particularly his first 2 or 3 years. How has he been playing in Columbus? His stats are pretty good for him, but has he been a good addition overall?
Top5 in empty net goals, and 22% of his total points coming from the other team playing with an empty net.

He’s been fine. He’s a great 4C but is playing way too many minutes due to us having 1.5 competent center options (almost 16 mins ATOI, 20% more than his career average).

Kuraly:

Last edited:
Reactions: JacketsDavid

NotCommitted

Jul 4, 2013
Top5 in empty net goals, and 22% of his total points coming from the other team playing with an empty net.

He’s been fine. He’s a great 4C but is playing way too many minutes due to us having 1.5 competent center options.

I seem to recall Kuraly was great with Texier, but ofc Texier has been away for a very long time. But yeah, starting with poor depth and then missing a key piece or two for most part of the season (Laine, Tex, Jenner) and things have not been very optimal.

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
I'm hoping he can improve on faceoffs next year, strangely he regressed nearly 10% in that category. Maybe we legitimately need a coach dedicated to faceoffs when even strong faceoff guys come here and struggle.

Kuraly used to play with Patrice Bergeron. Any important face off in Boston was taken by Bergeron who leads the NHL in face off winning percentage. I don’t think it is surprising that Kuraly has a lower percentage now that he is taking the important face offs.

Reactions: Xoggz22

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio

He’s been fine. He’s a great 4C but is playing way too many minutes due to us having 1.5 competent center options (almost 16 mins ATOI, 20% more than his career average).

Kuraly:
I'm glad you pointed that out and how important he has been. I assume you're referring to the fact the team puts him on the ice to protect a lead and he's rewarded with the clinchers?

He's earned his ice time too. Did you not expect he would get more ice time? I imagine that even with another top 6 C he'll still get more ice time. He isn't perfect and he's had some clunkers - everyone does - but he's been nothing short of a great off season addition.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad