Prospect Info: Sean Farrell, C/LW, 124th Overall

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
Need time and the AHL. Like MOST if not EVERY prospect we have. Including Beck, Mailloux, Hutson and whoever else we have. Not a problem, that's how it just should be. He had some great years before joining the pro. Was fun to watch. And frankly, it's preferable that way. But the strength has to improve. So is the speed. But a full year in the AHL next year will help do that. Not a top 6 in my books though.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Will be surprised if he pans out. That's my opinion

Would trade him in a Dubois package

you could say that about just about every prospect not picked in the top 10 or 20 and you would be right a lot. With prospects it's all about progress or lack there of and that takes time. So either he's going to continue to progress or he won't, imo that's very hard to know, so when posters say this prospect or that prospect won't make it, well that's the easy part.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Lots of people had him pencil top6 next year...gonna need some seasoning....

We'll see how he looks at camp, he's getting a taste of what he's going to need to work on this off-season. It was always said he needs to add mass, strength, and to work on being more explosive but the kid plays the right way, is very skilled and high IQ.

Okay I’ll give him 150 games then say the same thing

That's a terrible attitude to take with prospects, it should be I'll watch 150 games and then see what he does or doesn't show me. If you think you know the outcome before seeing someone play 150 games, you will likely see what you want to see which may not be the truth of it.

His skill and IQ are there, he needs some time to adjust to the speed and physicality of the NHL game.

I think there's a good chance he can get there, but it's not a certainty and it will not happen over the course of the next few games this season. I'll be very curious to see how he performs in training camp among the rest of the *fingers crossed* healthy squad, but I expect he'll be sent to Laval to start the season and will stay there for most of the year.

well said!

It's a balance. I read a lot of people overhyping our prospects and others who don't give them enough time to develop. Farrell was seen by a lot like a sure thing for the top 6 next year. We now see he's gonna need some time.

All fans of any sports team will overrate their prospects because it's about hope for the future and if you don't have that you have little to look forward to.

Most fans around here don't give prospects enough time to develop because most likely wouldn't understand proper development if their life depended on it based off my 20+ years of reading this board and their "opinions" on development.

I think Farrell is a lock to be an NHLer but top 6 is way too early to say since who know how the roster will shake out with trades, UFA's, other prospects taking off that aren't expected, etc...

McGuires Corndog

Pierre's favorite MONSTER performer
Sponsor
Feb 6, 2008
Montreal
Need time and the AHL. Like MOST if not EVERY prospect we have. Including Beck, Mailloux, Hutson and whoever else we have. Not a problem, that's how it just should be. He had some great years before joining the pro. Was fun to watch. And frankly, it's preferable that way. But the strength has to improve. So is the speed. But a full year in the AHL next year will help do that. Not a top 6 in my books though.

Reasonable assessment here. You typically always are, though.

I see him a middle-6 guy if he pans out, but if we’re a real contender I’d want him outside the top 6 as you alluded to.

McGuires Corndog

Sponsor
Feb 6, 2008
Montreal
you could say that about just about every prospect not picked in the top 10 or 20 and you would be right a lot. With prospects it's all about progress or lack there of and that takes time. So either he's going to continue to progress or he won't, imo that's very hard to know, so when posters say this prospect or that prospect won't make it, well that's the easy part.

People tend to forget this. Farrell is the same age Caufield was last season, and there was times last year where he just looked awful. What we know today is that from then to now Caufield turned into an exceptional player. His worthiness of being a Top-5 was never in question, but he proved he could translate his potential to the next level.

Farrell is just not at that level of excellence. If he can make himself a full-time roster position by the time he is 23 he’d be on a normal development curve for someone where he was drafted and his skillset.

He’s been pretty good defensively though, which I knew he would be. The rest is making adjustments and getting experience, if he can make those adjustments he’ll make it as a solid NHL player.

Reactions: WeThreeKings

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
People tend to forget this. Farrell is the same age Caufield was last season, and there was times last year where he just looked awful. What we know today is that from then to now Caufield turned into an exceptional player. His worthiness of being a Top-5 was never in question, but he proved he could translate his potential to the next level.

Farrell is just not at that level of excellence. If he can make himself a full-time roster position by the time he is 23 he’d be on a normal development curve for someone where he was drafted and his skillset.

He’s been pretty good defensively though, which I knew he would be. The rest is making adjustments and getting experience, if he can make those adjustments he’ll make it as a solid NHL player.

I can't honestly speak on how Farrell looks in the NHL because I haven't seen it other then his goal. But I have seen a shit ton of him since we drafted him, so I know that he's not playing his game based off the comments as people call him soft but in the USHL and NCAA he's not as granted it's not his game but he has some jam for sure, just needs to get comfortable in the NHL in time.

The kid just plays the game the right way, not too many short cuts or lack of effort, just a smart, skilled, hard working two way player that just dominated the NCAA in his 2nd season.

Now it's can he work on getting stronger, adding mass and speed. I worry about playmakers, when I watched Stapley he never shot before his Senior year and I felt that was going to be a huge problem for him. With Farrell his shot isn't heavy but he can snipe it so defenders won't be able to just assume pass but he will need to make sure he continues to work on his shot and needs to shoot more going forward.

Reactions: McGuires Corndog

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
The one thing he isn't is soft. Soft for me is a player who won't engage that is not Sean Farrell. He is small and he absolutely needs to get stronger. But he has shown a willingness to win some puck battles and I wish I could say that about some of our vets. The player is crafty and that can go a very long way in ensuring survival in the pros. Going forward I think finding the right fit for him is important. He'd probably do well with a Heineman type of player in Laval. The thing is I think Emile will be elsewhere.

Goldenhands

Slaf_The_Great
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2016
I can't honestly speak on how Farrell looks in the NHL because I haven't seen it other then his goal. But I have seen a shit ton of him since we drafted him, so I know that he's not playing his game based off the comments as people call him soft but in the USHL and NCAA he's not as granted it's not his game but he has some jam for sure, just needs to get comfortable in the NHL in time.

The kid just plays the game the right way, not too many short cuts or lack of effort, just a smart, skilled, hard working two way player that just dominated the NCAA in his 2nd season.

Now it's can he work on getting stronger, adding mass and speed. I worry about playmakers, when I watched Stapley he never shot before his Senior year and I felt that was going to be a huge problem for him. With Farrell his shot isn't heavy but he can snipe it so defenders won't be able to just assume pass but he will need to make sure he continues to work on his shot and needs to shoot more going forward.
I dont think anyone is calling him soft, he battles at his best with the frame/strength he has. NHL is too much for him right now, should have started with Laval, but at least it will make him realize what he needs to work on to get a regular spot in the future.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rapala and 26Mats

McGuires Corndog

Sponsor
Feb 6, 2008
Montreal

Adding mass and strength shouldn’t be too much of an issue, speed can also be improved as we’ve seen with Caufield’s improvement since being drafted.

I believe Farrell has the right mindset and dedication to make it work.

durojean

May 29, 2007
I'd say, give him time.

It's not like the rest of the team is playing much better than him either way.

Making an opinion after 4 games is not fair I think. He showed some good things even if he is clearly finding the jump bigger than he expected.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Adding mass and strength shouldn’t be too much of an issue, speed can also be improved as we’ve seen with Caufield’s improvement since being drafted.

I believe Farrell has the right mindset and dedication to make it work.

The thing about smart players is they tend to understand what they need to work on by virtue of being smart.

Josh Anderson is gonna go build up his punching muscles all summer, or something.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I dont think anyone is calling him soft, he battles at his best with the frame/strength he has. NHL is too much for him right now, should have started with Laval, but at least it will make him realize what he needs to work on to get a regular spot in the future.

from the previous page,

He’s another small, soft, smart player.

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
If he was 6'3 he could take over a game with the amount of skill he has but he's 5'9, has a lot of stamina, he's really smart on the ice and he can skate in the NHL, his shot is underrated and as a playmaker he doesn't have a lot to work with with the HABS roster. He can't even play with Caufield since Caufield is injured.
He won't play wth Caufield next year either when Caufield is healthy. It's hard to fathom just how much you see in this player?

Distant Cousin?

Farrell immediately jumped from the NCAA to playing in the NHL with minimal practice time, also the team has been playing with one legit NHL top six forward in Suzuki.

As of now it looks like he might need some time in the AHL next year, but I won't be surprised if he looks much better in training camp when he has more practice time with NHL players and we have our injured players back in the lineup to help insulate him.
Talent playing with talent usually performs better. That would go for Farrell, RHP, everyone. They will perform better when the team is healthy and has more depth.

Kojo

Nov 22, 2013
He won't play wth Caufield next year either when Caufield is healthy. It's hard to fathom just how much you see in this player?

Distant Cousin?
I'm just not willing to bet against him, I like his hockey IQ but maybe I've overrated him. I watched a lot of games and highlights and he's often the best player on his team despite his size. Don't forget that this player is only 21 years old, he can get stronger and faster.

Reactions: montreal

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
I'm just not willing to bet against him, I like his hockey IQ but maybe I've overrated him. I watched a lot of games and highlights and he's often the best player on his team despite his size. Don't forget that this player is only 21 years old, he can get stronger and faster.
I'm just saying he will need to get stronger and faster. I'm not writing him off, but he hasn't wowed anyone in what is, admittedly, Avery small sample with little time spent practicing the system/concepts...

Reactions: montreal

jfm133

Nov 6, 2015
I don't count him out because of his IQ and skills, but it is clear that he will need to get stronger and faster. I also see him with Laval next year, at least for half a season. He needs to adapt to the pro level and to the physical side of the game. The AHL is a good league to do that, and he should quickly be good there because his IQ will be well above most players in this league. They brought him with the Habs directly this year just to allow him to burn a year of his ELC, but hockeywise it was not the right decision. Look at Struble in Laval. He is adapting very well. It would have been preferable for Farrell to do the same and forget about contract issues. His agent did not advise him very well on this one. A player like Farrell at this stage should think about what is best for is carreer instead of a quick contractual gain.

A55P2

Jul 14, 2009
Québec, Québec
I don't count him out because of his IQ and skills, but it is clear that he will need to get stronger and faster. I also see him with Laval next year, at least for half a season. He needs to adapt to the pro level and to the physical side of the game. The AHL is a good league to do that, and he should quickly be good there because his IQ will be well above most players in this league. They brought him with the Habs directly this year just to allow him to burn a year of his ELC, but hockeywise it was not the right decision. Look at Struble in Laval. He is adapting very well. It would have been preferable for Farrell to do the same and forget about contract issues. His agent did not advise him very well on this one. A player like Farrell at this stage should think about what is best for is carreer instead of a quick contractual gain.
He won't even play 10 games with the Habs this year. This is not going to impact his career at all. If he needs to play in Laval next year then he'll play there.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
Renaud is kind of a shill at times. Here he says nothing when he was healthy scratched and leaves the impression Sean deserved it, then pumps his tires when he is about to play.

Reactions: jrom

McGuires Corndog

Sponsor
Feb 6, 2008
Montreal
Renaud is kind of a shill at times. Here he says nothing when he was healthy scratched and leaves the impression Sean deserved it, then pumps his tires when he is about to play.

Agreed.

Anyone with a brain should be able to piece together that Farrell would be more at ease and look better after practicing with the team.

It’s just a reason to put an article out. Lol

Reactions: ElQuebecois

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad