Prospect Info: Sean Farrell, C/LW, 124th Overall

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
It took 4 years the AHL before Harvey-Pinard got a chance to play any real time in the NHL -- and that's on a 5th worst team in the league plagued with injuries.

Sure, Harvey-Pinard was a 7th round pick, but farrellis still only a the 31st pick in the 4th round. It's not like there is any draft pedigree ensuring he gets a call-up or a prime role, if he does, in Montreal.

You can say all you want about thinking highly of Farrell's play in the NCAA, but RHP was a solid contributor in the AHL.

Let's see how Farrell produces in Laval to have any glimpse of how he will potentially perform in the NHL...

NekkiChiconey

Mar 17, 2016
Lisbon
I didn't say anything about "my strategy", so you clearly either didn't read or didn't understand my post.

It was a detailed reply to your post, specifically calling into the questionable (& faulty) gross generalization you made:

"these prospects" most certainly could be "good enough to play on a contenders top-6"... But it will be 5-10 yrs before anyone knows what level they will attain, and it goes without saying that most of them will not be with the Habs organization by their mid/late 20's. That much is so obvious it would seem silly to have to clarify that. How you read my post and came away with the idea I was suggesting that our strategy should be to sit on them for ten years is beyond me :dunno:
Then there's absolutely no point to any of your last posts.

"News flash: prospects could be good, or bad, and we won't know until they're past their prime!"

I mean...

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
Then there's absolutely no point to any of your last posts.

"News flash: prospects could be good, or bad, and we won't know until they're past their prime!"

I mean...

News flash
"Only 1 of the cup winner's top 7 forwards was a first round drafted prospect."

Easier to understand now lol

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
How many games does Farrell get in the NHL next season? Is there a chance he earns a spot over Ylonen, RHP, Heineman?

Most project Farrell to start in the AHL and it's reasonable. If Gallagher and Armia were not on our roster, we would have room for all our NHL ready prospects. I'm curious to see how this plays out this season... For both the Habs and Rocket

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
It took 4 years the AHL before Harvey-Pinard got a chance to play any real time in the NHL -- and that's on a 5th worst team in the league plagued with injuries.

Sure, Harvey-Pinard was a 7th round pick, but farrellis still only a the 31st pick in the 4th round. It's not like there is any draft pedigree ensuring he gets a call-up or a prime role, if he does, in Montreal.

You can say all you want about thinking highly of Farrell's play in the NCAA, but RHP was a solid contributor in the AHL.

Let's see how Farrell produces in Laval to have any glimpse of how he will potentially perform in the NHL...

What I like the most is all of our young players like Slaf, RHP, Barron, Xhekaj, Heineman, Farrell, Ylonen know the competition heading to camp for spots.

Showing up to camp flat is surely going to get you a ticket to AHL. It will be interesting to see how much Slaf improves and at the same time, who shines the most between RHP, Heineman, Farrell. On D, it has less questions.

Ghetto Sangria

Apr 14, 2009
Farrell will really have to earn his spot at training camp. He's got to battle possible surprises like Heineman, Roy and Beck for the final open wing spot. RHP already earned his roster spot with his play last season. Ylo/Pez/Armia can easily take up that final spot as well, while the 2 others sit on the bench.

This is the perfect scenario for our rebuild. The rookies will have to force their way on the roster as it would mean sending an NHLer through waivers.

Reactions: Redux91

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013

Technically he played in the NHL after one year in the AHL. He spent an extra year in junior because we didn't give him an ELC. This coming season would have been his fourth year in the AHL (he may spend some time there because he's waiver exempt to be honest). What's more impressive is the team gave him a one-way AHL contract and made him prove himself before getting his ELC. He wasn't even viewed as a legitimate prospect and forced his way up.

Farrell will definitely start in the AHL if the big club is healthy, however. He only started in the NHL so he could burn a year off of his ELC as incentive, otherwise he would have just used the loophole and signed with another team. There's 14 guys signed already including RHP. Pezz is auto locked at the 14th forward so the only spot to compete for is on the fourth line which I don't think is suitable for Farrell or Heinemen's development. Roy and Kidney basically destroyed the Q and aren't even in conversations to get a shot.

Reactions: Habs Halifax

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world

RHP shouldve been in the NHL two years ago, they waited way too long to bring him up because of all the deadweigut the Habs had.

Farrell has two years in the AHl imo, hes getting the call up somewhere next year. Heineman too.

Reactions: 26Mats

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Farrell will really have to earn his spot at training camp. He's got to battle possible surprises like Heineman, Roy and Beck for the final open wing spot. RHP already earned his roster spot with his play last season. Ylo/Pez/Armia can easily take up that final spot as well, while the 2 others sit on the bench.

This is the perfect scenario for our rebuild. The rookies will have to force their way on the roster as it would mean sending an NHLer through waivers.

The elephant in the room is Price going on LTIR after the season starts. For that reason, it's not likely any one of them make this roster. Maybe one of them is called up in Oct/Nov after Price is moved to LTIR.

From what I see, the only open winger spot is a battle between RHP, Ylonen, Heineman, Farrell, Roy. From this list, Ylonen is the only one who has to clear waivers. So, I'm not so sure RHP is a lock to be on this roster. Yeah, he played very well in meaningless games at the 2nd half of last year but this is a brand new season. He's going to have to earn his spot again.

Probability says Ylonen makes it due to the waivers issue. Unless they are OK if he gets claimed? Then there is only one spot left and even with that, I find it difficult to fit it all in the cap with Price not on LTIR. Hughes clearly said that is a strategy because they want to accrue cap space this season.

From what I see today, Ylonen makes it and RHP might be paper transition to the AHL temporary for when Price is placed on LTIR (after the season starts).

RHP shouldve been in the NHL two years ago, they waited way too long to bring him up because of all the deadweigut the Habs had.

Farrell has two years in the AHl imo, hes getting the call up somewhere next year. Heineman too.

I agree with Farrell and Heineman but I don't see any issues with RHP starting last year. Are we not liking the idea of prospects developing properly in the AHL? Because that is exactly how RHP was managed and also how you plan on managing Farrell and Heineman.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018

Heineman may be ready this year. And with Dvo out to start the season, there is a spot to win. He has to beat out Lindstrom for the 23rd spot on the roster.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
The elephant in the room is Price going on LTIR after the season starts. For that reason, it's not likely any one of them make this roster. Maybe one of them is called up in Oct/Nov after Price is moved to LTIR.

From what I see, the only open winger spot is a battle between RHP, Ylonen, Heineman, Farrell, Roy. From this list, Ylonen is the only one who has to clear waivers. So, I'm not so sure RHP is a lock to be on this roster. Yeah, he played very well in meaningless games at the 2nd half of last year but this is a brand new season. He's going to have to earn his spot again.

Probability says Ylonen makes it due to the waivers issue. Unless they are OK if he gets claimed? Then there is only one spot left and even with that, I find it difficult to fit it all in the cap with Price not on LTIR. Hughes clearly said that is a strategy because they want to accrue cap space this season.

From what I see today, Ylonen makes it and RHP might be paper transition to the AHL temporary for when Price is placed on LTIR (after the season starts).

I agree with Farrell and Heineman but I don't see any issues with RHP starting last year. Are we not liking the idea of prospects developing properly in the AHL? Because that is exactly how RHP was managed and also how you plan on managing Farrell and Heineman.
Yeah but RHP is 24, its not like he wasnt ready lol.

Theres so many top 6 potential that one of them will either to have to pkay NHL or bottom 6 in the A, Im not too sure. Beck has to go back to the OHL, Mesar too. No matter what they want.

The one Im open to seeing in the NHL this year is Heineman because his game needs less refining and hes been a pro for two years.

Reactions: Miller Time

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Yeah but RHP is 24, its not like he wasnt ready lol.

Theres so many top 6 potential that one of them will either to have to pkay NHL or bottom 6 in the A, Im not too sure. Beck has to go back to the OHL, Mesar too. No matter what they want.

The one Im open to seeing in the NHL this year is Heineman because his game needs less refining and hes been a pro for two years.

I'm fine with RHP starting at age 23/24. He's exactly the type you don't rush IMO.

Hard to say how it plays out with the others. I'm hopeful Laval is very competitive and whoever plays there, has other talent to feed off of.

I think Mesar is in the AHL but Beck is in the OHL. Let Beck play out his age 19 season and WJC with Canada. I'd even load Mesar to the Slovaks so he can play at the WJC as well.

Now, having said all of this, watch L Andersson also push for a spot.

Reactions: Miller Time

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
Well he's doing very well in the AHL. Not sure when he will have the chance to play in the top 9 at the NHL level with us though and I feel like he would be a waste on the 4th.

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
I like his progression. He has the talent to play in the NHL, he just need more time to mature physically and improve his skating a bit

Reactions: WeThreeKings

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad