Confirmed with Link: Sean Day's contract terminated

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
id rather be known as a NHL regular not a journeyman NHL fillin with only 40 NHL games by age 32 or the Brad Smyths of the world.
Ceilings vary. I doubt anyone dreams in their teens to be known as a judgmental, snarky crank at fanboy discussion boards, trashing the performance and outlook of young men in their early 20's. But some of us end up there.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Ceilings vary. I doubt anyone dreams in their teens to be known as a judgmental, snarky crank at fanboy discussion boards, trashing the performance and outlook of young men in their early 20's. But some of us end up there.

source.gif

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
And I'd rather be a successful hockey player for a decade elsewhere than give up entirely. This NHL-or-bust mentality is laughable. There's more to hockey than just the NHL.

Nigel Dawes has carved out a stellar career for himself in the KHL. He's a star there, ambassador for Kazakh hockey. Joel Lundqvist is a legend in Swedish hockey, playing most of his career there after not making it in the NHL. Should he have retired from hockey as well?
Yup.

Another example is Christian Dubé. He had an OUTSTANDING career playing in Switzerland. Top scorer, well paid, extremely popular with the fans.

Hi ImHFNYR

Jan 10, 2013
Wherever I'm standing atm
id rather be known as a NHL regular not a journeyman NHL fillin with only 40 NHL games by age 32 or the Brad Smyths of the world.
Well no shit?

Really? You'd rather be a regular than a journeyman? Whoaaaa real hot take there

If anyone actually feels that you should just quit hockey altogether rather than do what he did... I can say that I too would want to get a lame desk job instead of making salary doing a sport I love. Just to avoid the shame of being known as someone who didn't make it to the NHL like 99.999% of all the other people who played hockey in their lives. I can't even imagine how you could read about a dude making 1M bucks in hockey and you're still thinking about journeyman status as the REAL sticking point

Well no shit.

Lol we had the same reaction

Last edited:

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Looking at percentage chances and who became an NHLer after he was picked that's an unrealistic way to look at it.

Yeah, but 4 years down the line, it's easy for people to look back and cherry-pick the handful of players who actually made an impact and then use that as justification to say our scouts suck :laugh:

Reactions: Hi ImHFNYR

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
I'd make that day pick 999 times out of 1000. It's the perfect type of pick to make with lower round picks.

It didn't work out. But sometimes they do.

Reactions: bobbop

Idlerlee

Apr 19, 2013

This is like saying you should retire as a football player if you don't get signed to a Premier League team. I'm sure you know how ridiculous that is

Reactions: UnSandvich

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
The jump from the CHL to the pros can be a killer. The things that happened after the Rangers put out their letter played against too and it's played a bit against Crawley and it played against Gross where you have so many prospects that you can't keep them all. I would not be surprised to see Gross become a regular NHL'er one day. I think if he decides he wants it it's very possible and it's possible for Day too---he's just got more work to do and there's no real avenue left with our team. If he wants it it's important that he doesn't look at this as an end but as a new beginning.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
I would take Gross where he is at in terms of development over Day. I've made it clear I was never that high on him (after watching him his D+1 year) but he did seem like a legitimate possibility for a bottom pair role down the road.

Day just seemed a step too slow, in terms of how he processed the game. And that's something that's really, really hard to overcome. He has interesting tools, but he reminded me of Michael St. Croix in that he just seemed to make decisions a split-second too slowly (MSC couldn't skate, but that's a different story).

In the end the Rangers absolutely could have kept both if they wanted to. They had another year to watch Day but determined they didn't want to invest any more player development time in him, which I can't fault them for. Gross, the reasons are less clear, but IMO have to do with his flattened development curve. I would have probably offered him an ELC but if they don't think there's much development room there, I get it.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
I would take Gross where he is at in terms of development over Day. I've made it clear I was never that high on him (after watching him his D+1 year) but he did seem like a legitimate possibility for a bottom pair role down the road.

Day just seemed a step too slow, in terms of how he processed the game. And that's something that's really, really hard to overcome. He has interesting tools, but he reminded me of Michael St. Croix in that he just seemed to make decisions a split-second too slowly (MSC couldn't skate, but that's a different story).

In the end the Rangers absolutely could have kept both if they wanted to. They had another year to watch Day but determined they didn't want to invest any more player development time in him, which I can't fault them for. Gross, the reasons are less clear, but IMO have to do with his flattened development curve. I would have probably offered him an ELC but if they don't think there's much development room there, I get it.

I think the numbers game plays into the decisions on both Day and Gross. Lindgren has solidified a spot and the Rangers are super high on Miller and Robertson and then there is Jones, Reunanen, Rykov and Hajek. No doubt they'll draft another couple d-men in the upcoming draft and they'll be looking at other Euro and college free agent D's. I also think not signing Gross doesn't bode all that well for Ragnarsson or Sjalin. Kjellberg's got another 3 years at RPI--his decision is down the road a bit. Crawley must have made more of a good impression but he needs another contract and it's ?able whether he'll get that.

Allan92

Jan 2, 2016
Meath
Joel Lundqvist is a legend in Swedish hockey, playing most of his career there after not making it in the NHL. Should he have retired from hockey as well?

In fairness, having a ridiculously sexy and successful brother who happens to be your twin and is still somehow even more handsome and cooler than you is probably a bigger burden to bear than not making the NHL.

Now if you'll excuse, I'm going to go find a hot towel and put it under my Henrik Lundqvist jersey.....

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad