Confirmed with Link: Sean Day's contract terminated

RangersFan1994

Aug 20, 2019
He's a hockey player but if he sucks at his job why be known for that. I wonder how Jessiman feels for being known as a bust.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
He's a hockey player but if he sucks at his job why be known for that. I wonder how Jessiman feels for being known as a bust.

I am 100% sure he feels pretty good about playing 533 games in the AHL and then playing a bit more in the KHL and EBEL, actually getting to see the world while being paid to play hockey.

Actual quotes from Jessiman when he was playing here in Vienna:

Jessiman signed up for business classes at Webster University’s Vienna campus in September. He said he planned to finish his degree at Dartmouth, where he played three seasons, in the spring. He said he wanted to “become a bit more well-rounded as I look beyond hockey.”

“That’s why I think coming to Vienna was a great option,” he added. “Some things you miss when you’re in the A.H.L. and you’re in a small town like Binghamton, just grinding away. The experiences that you get here are invaluable.”

While rehabbing, he visits local museums and bikes along the Danube River, at peace with his decision to let go of his N.H.L. dreams.

“I’d love to play as long as I can,” Jessiman said. “I played in the N.H.L.; I checked that off, which was amazing. I think I definitely have an eye on life outside of hockey, so I think developing myself in that regard is something that I’m focusing on.
“If that transition comes earlier than I expect, it does.”

This was from 2014. He said he would like to play as long as he can. Players take pride in reaching the NHL, even if it is for a handful of games. He got to see the world. He was able to make money doing what he loves most, playing hockey. Sure, he expected more from his career, but that doesn't mean he is going to walk away from pro hockey just because it's not the NHL. No hockey player is going to say "Oh, I rather work in an office than play in a league other than the NHL".

But hey, you do you and flaunt your ignorance.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
he probably feels like made alot of $$ living his dream no matter how brief while people sitting in their basements called him a bust and a failure lol

500+ games in the AHL, which is a level 99% of people here never even sniff. A level 95% of people never even played against as a kid. The AHL may not be the pinnacle of hockey, but it's professional hockey. Getting paid to play the game.

The only people spouting this nonsense are people who think they know the game because they play some beer league hockey on Friday night with guys who resemble Al Bundy talking about "their missed career opportunities" :laugh:

Bacon Artemi Bravo

Sep 20, 2007

For any kid that grows up loving and playing hockey, playing even a single NHL game is an absolute fantasy. Hell, even carving out a career in the AHL/ECHL/KHL/SEL is a complete fantasy. Of all top/elite amateur players, less than 5% of them make the NHL. How many of them carve out careers as NHL regulars?

Chances of making the NHL, let alone being an NHL regluar are astronomical. A fraction of a fraction of a percent for a kid growing up playing & loving hockey.

What profession are you in? Are you in the top fraction of a percent of people in that profession? If not, why don't you just retire? Even if you love it and feed your family, get to see the world, why don't you retire?

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019
he probably feels like made alot of $$ living his dream no matter how brief while people sitting in their basements called him a bust and a failure lol

i would think the kid would like to do better and play hockey at the highest level, in front of a larger audience and for more cash. This kid has the physical tools yet like so many NFL players who have immense physical gifts their minds can’t calculate the technique or estimate how to succeed in a moment. It’s the mental awareness which often differentiates the Pro from the Amateur.

bobbop

Henrik & Pop
Sponsor
May 27, 2004
Now, Suburban Phoenix. Then, Long Island
I am 100% sure he feels pretty good about playing 533 games in the AHL and then playing a bit more in the KHL and EBEL, actually getting to see the world while being paid to play hockey.

Actual quotes from Jessiman when he was playing here in Vienna:

This was from 2014. He said he would like to play as long as he can. Players take pride in reaching the NHL, even if it is for a handful of games. He got to see the world. He was able to make money doing what he loves most, playing hockey. Sure, he expected more from his career, but that doesn't mean he is going to walk away from pro hockey just because it's not the NHL. No hockey player is going to say "Oh, I rather work in an office than play in a league other than the NHL".

But hey, you do you and flaunt your ignorance.
World class post!

Reactions: Amazing Kreiderman

BKGooner

Jun 23, 2017
Not talking about Jessiman, but just take your average kid who is gifted and hard working enough to play major junior or D1. How many years of driving a truck, placing concrete, or even working a white collar job with just a bachelor's do you need to work to earn a couple of years of an AHL paycheck? It is playing a pro sport and while the money isn't as good as the pinnacle, it's still a chance to follow your dream and establish a good financial footing for yourself even if you never get a cup of coffee. Players would be foolish to scoff at it.
Specifically about Jessiman - I was not a fan of the pick at the time with the other guys who were out there, but you never want a guy to do poorly. With injuries and everything, the NHL was not in the cards for him. On some level he must regret it or second guess, but I am glad to see he still had a go of it and got to see the world doing what he loves. The easiest thing to do is walk away if your heart isn't in it. Good luck to Sean Day, may the switch get flipped and his talent get used every minute he is on the ice.

Reactions: Hi ImHFNYR

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Not talking about Jessiman, but just take your average kid who is gifted and hard working enough to play major junior or D1. How many years of driving a truck, placing concrete, or even working a white collar job with just a bachelor's do you need to work to earn a couple of years of an AHL paycheck? It is playing a pro sport and while the money isn't as good as the pinnacle, it's still a chance to follow your dream and establish a good financial footing for yourself even if you never get a cup of coffee. Players would be foolish to scoff at it.
Specifically about Jessiman - I was not a fan of the pick at the time with the other guys who were out there, but you never want a guy to do poorly. With injuries and everything, the NHL was not in the cards for him. On some level he must regret it or second guess, but I am glad to see he still had a go of it and got to see the world doing what he loves. The easiest thing to do is walk away if your heart isn't in it. Good luck to Sean Day, may the switch get flipped and his talent get used every minute he is on the ice.

According to Capfriendly, he earned 275k in his last 3 AHL years combined. How many people can say they earn 90k a year? And he did it playing hockey

Reactions: Hi ImHFNYR

BKGooner

Jun 23, 2017
The typical AHL city probably has a lower cost of living as well. Not a bad life for a younger guy or younger family. The toughest part would be the road or living somewhere like *shudders* Hartford.

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019
Not talking about Jessiman, but just take your average kid who is gifted and hard working enough to play major junior or D1. How many years of driving a truck, placing concrete, or even working a white collar job with just a bachelor's do you need to work to earn a couple of years of an AHL paycheck?

The easiest thing to do is walk away if your heart isn't in it. Good luck to Sean Day, may the switch get flipped and his talent get used every minute he is on the ice.

In hear ya yet, in the case of Jessiman, he comes from money. He’s one who could afford to chase his dream knowing he had a safety net with only “hockey player” on his resume in his early 30’s.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Jessiman also finished his degree around the time her first left to play overseas. A degree from Dartmouth is helpful.

Yeah, earning 90k a year playing hockey while getting your degree on the side is a great way to prepare for life after hockey. You still get decent money in, and you get your degree to fall back on.

There's a really interesting article by Justin Abdelkader on The Player's Tribune about studying while playing pro hockey and it's definitely an interesting read.

https://www.theplayerstribune.com/en-us/articles/justin-abdelkader-college-hockey-red-wings

BKGooner

Jun 23, 2017
And i will stand by my opinion that, with his 3rd rounder slot our earliest pick in that draft, it was worth the gamble to grab someone with the biggest Boom potential in the draft.
It was a good pick. They all can't pan out. On the other hand If he was a first rounder because of his exceptional status...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad